NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
May 22, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #1,816 of 4,019
Quote:
Lets hope that this one is a keeper. I wished mine was red!  Congrats,  now where is that Amperior....

This one is the keeper forsure... I now have album art on both track & album... I'll have the Amps just as soon as I can get to the Apple Store at Bluewater, just finding the time
angry_face.gif

May 22, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #1,817 of 4,019
Quote:

This one is the keeper forsure... I now have album art on both track & album... I'll have the Amps just as soon as I can get to the Apple Store at Bluewater, just finding the time
angry_face.gif

Apple Store sells Amps now?  I thought they just sold Beat and Soul headphones... In White only... 
tongue.gif

May 22, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #1,818 of 4,019
Quote:
Quote:
lol...i'm sorry not even apple holds its value forever.  Sorry if I offended you--you must love sony a lot to have psp in your name.  (we've had convos about the vita and psp before). 

Not really, I'm not quite a Sony fan. Well, I used to love the PSP, and this username was actually what I had created 5-6 years ago, and thought I would keep using it for ease of remembering. My PSP is hardly used now. Well, the only Sony product I can support is the Walkman for now... The vita is good, but lacks a lot of games that I wish were on it. 

Quote:
Quote:
I see, well I'm not interested in warfare games, so it's a pass for me. 

Understandable... There is always Lumines (which I hear is good... but I haven't gotten enough into the Demo to actually enjoy it yet).

I absolutely loved my PSP (just sold it--to get Vita--had vita for a few days then sold that--haha).  Vitas can be picked up for really cheap.  quite sad how poorly it's doing.  It's been a year since launch in Japan and that's where it should have thrived--doing horribly everywhere.  Hopefully E3 will announce some new games and breathe some developer and buyer confidence.. 

Lumines is amazing.  That's really the only game I wanted when I bought Vita --I'll immediately pick that up when I get the vita again and will get LBP when that comes out.  One thing about the vita.........it's REALLY uncomfortable to hold after like 20-30 minutes.  The PSP is soooo much more comfortable in the hands.  I had mine modded with hundreds of games, but I really only played Lumines I and II, Patapon I, 2, 3, and Loco Roco sometimes.  The puzzlers are the best for on-the-go gaming I think.  Sure you can play PS3 quality games on the vita, but most of the time I'm gonna have like 10 minutes here and there to play....plus I'd rather play at home on a big TV and with other people.  I liked FIFA on Vita, but again lots of people are looking to buy hand grips because of the hand fatigue the size and position of the buttons causes. 

Might actually just get another PSP since I sold mine for a large profit being modded and all.  My buying and selling (starting when the wife left on a trip) in the past 2 months has netted me around 2000 in profit :xf_eek:  But trust me this wasn't worth it--it was at the expense of not getting A's in my classes (almost for certain)     :frowning2:  

So I actually have a lot of options....but this money coming at such a high cost (grades), I'll not soon drop money to buy stuff at retail price right now--again I'm curious with the Z and I'm not trying to ridicule you guys--if you guys are okay with no memory card slot/etc then I'm happy for you. 

May 22, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #1,819 of 4,019
Quote:
..... again I'm curious with the Z and I'm not trying to ridicule you guys--if you guys are okay with no memory card slot/etc then I'm happy for you. 

I started with the Z1060 decided to get a Z1070 so sold the Z1060 for what I paid for it (US-version to a English guy, no volume cap)... couldn't get on with the Z1070 cause I couldn't figure how to get album art onto it so yet again sold it for what I paid for it... some clever guys figured the artwork thingy so I bought another Z1070, it arrived today from Japan, I've now loaded 750+ tracks in Atrac Advanced lossless 352k format and ain't even hit third full... by my simple reckoning I'll have 2000+ plus tracks if needs be on my WM-Z, but here's the rub, this is my portable music device when I'm home I have hi-fi which kinda makes the WM-Z redundant in most cases... if your using the WM-Z as a music device (which is how Sony intends it to be used), 32gb or 64gb should be more than enough for most people as most will load as mp3-320k so a MC-slot is not a big deal if it was you wouldn't buy it in the first place.

As a music player my stance has not changed.... this is by far the best sounding DAP I've heard, even with the stock buds I am being forced to use you kinda know this will be a formidable player when I get my headphones sorted (hopefully this week), the soundstage is simply busting to get out.

May 23, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #1,820 of 4,019
hi guys, hoping to get a z1060 over the next week or so. I have a deal pending with a seller. I intend using my Sennheiser ie80's with it and poweramp as my preferred player for flac / 320 kbps mp3. There is also a Fiii line out cable coming with the player..  i am hoping the player will sound amazing through the headphone socket but would\could i get better results with a headphone amp/dac and my iems?

Cheers,
Mick

May 23, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #1,821 of 4,019
Quote:
hi guys, hoping to get a z1060 over the next week or so. I have a deal pending with a seller. I intend using my Sennheiser ie80's with it and poweramp as my preferred player for flac / 320 kbps mp3. There is also a Fiii line out cable coming with the player..  i am hoping the player will sound amazing through the headphone socket but would\could i get better results with a headphone amp/dac and my iems?

Cheers,
Mick

Please search the thread for TTVJslim and Continental, as  this was mentioned many times.

May 23, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #1,822 of 4,019
Im planning on getting a Z series walkman, probably a z1070 or z1060. Here's a question that I couldnt figure out: What is the difference between the Japan unit an non-Japan unit?

I was browsing through the pages and noticed that OK-Guy bought different types of them, Maybe you can share what the differences are

May 23, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #1,823 of 4,019
Quote:
Im planning on getting a Z series walkman, probably a z1070 or z1060. Here's a question that I couldnt figure out: What is the difference between the Japan unit an non-Japan unit?

I was browsing through the pages and noticed that OK-Guy bought different types of them, Maybe you can share what the differences are

I think the main difference is the color selection available and the 64gb model is only availble in japan

May 23, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #1,824 of 4,019
Quote:

Yup the main differences are probably the 64GB, red and noise cancelling in favour to the Japanese ver, 

May 23, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #1,825 of 4,019
I just got a Z1060 as a birthday present and I have say, what an amazing device. I've been using the X1050 for 2 years now, so I am already used to the amazing sq. Having that combined with a high customizability is a lot of fun. The only thing that I am missing already are the hardbuttons for play, fwd etc.

But, bad luck. The person who purchased it didn't know about volume caps, so I am sitting here with a pretty low volume level. I think the EU volume cap has been discussed a lot here, but this thread is filled with so much information, I didn't find anything. I googled a bit and stumbled on this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=25113109&postcount=17 Although the guy there couldn't remove it by changing the parameter, but do you think that there is a way to change the firmware/whatever to get rid of that?

Thats the only big minus for me with this amazing device.

Regards

May 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #1,826 of 4,019
Quote:

If you're the cut and paste type, no issue, but do note that if you want to use SenseMe and drag/drop stuff from iTunes (like me), the software outside of Japan, Media Go, is not 100% compatible with the japan set.

May 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #1,827 of 4,019
Quote:

The European version of the WM-Z is volume capped, not by much it appears but enough to put me off buying one after my experiences with the A-Series.

I bought the US version Z1060 via Canada and loaded all my music via mp3-320k, I was well impressed with the SQ but Fortis & Turock kept saying that 'lossless' was the way to go for an even better SQ so I decided to plump for a Z1070 for expanded memory so I could go 'lossless'... I actually thought everything would be the same after you changed the language setting on the Z1070, how very wrong that simple quirk was..... on the Z1070 'MediaGo' is a absolute waste as it brings nothing to the table, you really have to download SonicStage to make progress. The problem with the Z1070 is getting artwork onto it, you have to add artwork to the album and every track manually it's tedious but there are pluses as you have a bigger 32gb memory, I got all the album covers from Amazon which I saved to my-docs and uploaded from there.

The Z1070 is a big choice, it has its advantages but there are big downsides to... I will only ever use the Z1070 as a music-player so it suits my present needs, others will want to play games, watch video's etc with it, because of the functionality problems I had getting artwork onto it, I would advise caution when using it with other apps as this Z1070 is meant to be only for the Japanese market and it may not be compatible across the board so to speak, that said I have not investigated other functions and have no real intention of doing so, so I may not be the best to ask.

There is a very informative thread for people who own or are thinking about getting a Z1070 (link below), the thread has been an enormous help for me and with what advise was put in the thread actually made me to decide on investing in another Z1070.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/603440/sony-walkman-nw-z1070-japan-version-help-for-dummies-thread

ps..... colour had buggerall to do with my choice (I wanted it in white but the extra cost wasn't worth it)..... it was always about the bigger 64gb of memory on the Z1070.

May 25, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #1,828 of 4,019
One important question, will the Sony Z get the ICS update? hope someone knows or read a rumor....

May 25, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #1,829 of 4,019
Quote:

An important difference between the Z1070 & z1060 is the file formats that each supports as a stock unit. 
The Japanese version (Z1070) supports 7 music formats:  MP3,  WMA,  Linear PCM (WAV),  AAC,  HE-AAC,  ATRAC,  & ATRAC Lossless
The Z1060 supports 5 music formats:  MP3,  WMA,  Linear PCM (WAV),  AAC,  & HE-AAC
So the Z1060 supports the same formats, but has no ATRAC.

The software bundled with the Z1070 can only be loaded on Japanese Windows.  If you have Japanese language on your PC you may be able to download the Walkman Guide from the Z1070 written entirely in Japanese.  The other bundled software is Japanese X-App, the successor to SonicStage, but only in Japanese.
This software is for your PC for loading/using content on your PC and moving it to the WM.  The WM runs on its own software already loaded in it (plus any app you add).
If you have English Windows, you can move content to the Z1070 using:  
1. drag&drop,
2. SonicStage (a version that your PC accepts, 4.3 probably),
3. X-App modified to run in English Windows (but in Japanese-see post 1292, page 87 here or see the Help-for-dummies thread mentioned in OK-Guy's post above) or
4. some other software (perhaps an Android app).

The Z1060 bundled software is English MediaGo and WM guide.

There seems to be misunderstandings about Media Go. It can be downloaded for free from mediago.sony.com.  According to that site, Media Go supports the 7 formats listed for the Z1070, EXCEPT it includes FLAC and drops HE-AAC (I don't know all the ins & outs of the formats-there may be overlap that I don't understand).
 I have both Media Go and modified X-App installed on my PC and I can use either to load my Z1070 with music WITH album art.  You do have to have internet search enabled in the settings of your app for automatic album art tagging in your music files.  I have had no problems with MediaGo on Z1070 and Sony claims compatibility with the Z1000 series. I think there is a misunderstanding of the file system seen in the Z1070 that leads others to claim incompatibility with Z1070.
The Media Go I have installed only seems to import from CD in MP3, FLAC, or AAC.  I would expect it to still handle other formats if placed in its library, but I haven't tried yet.
I've never used SonicStage so I can't comment on that.

The above opinions are based on a few weeks of experience with MediaGo, X-App, & Z1070.  I reserve the right to change them.
wink_face.gif

I hope that gives you a clear idea of what to expect on the software side of the choice.

May 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #1,830 of 4,019
For clarification, the Japanese version Z1050 and Z1060 also support ATRAC & ATRAC Lossless. I have the Japanese version Z1060.

Quote:

An important difference between the Z1070 & z1060 is the file formats that each supports as a stock unit. 
The Japanese version (Z1070) supports 7 music formats:  MP3,  WMA,  Linear PCM (WAV),  AAC,  HE-AAC,  ATRAC,  & ATRAC Lossless
The Z1060 supports 5 music formats:  MP3,  WMA,  Linear PCM (WAV),  AAC,  & HE-AAC
So the Z1060 supports the same formats, but has no ATRAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back