NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Feb 24, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #466 of 4,019

Quote:
Also, I use the Garmin 5" GPS Case (Model 010-11577-01). It a wallet-style, and fits perfect (even with the clear-hard case on the unit).

any chance of a photo or two of that please.... I got the clear-case and have found the Garmin case on ebay for £15approx.... I almost bought the Sony flip-top leather case from Japan but in total it was nigh on £45 so thought I wait till the UK one was released or wait for another make to appear... the Garmin looks great and it appeals that it fits with the clear-case attached, downside no flip but thats a minor irritation I can live with... can your cables be used through it so you can use it on the move?

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #467 of 4,019

Quote:
any chance of a photo or two of that please.... I got the clear-case and have found the Garmin case on ebay for £15approx.... I almost bought the Sony flip-top leather case from Japan but in total it was nigh on £45 so thought I wait till the UK one was released or wait for another make to appear... the Garmin looks great and it appeals that it fits with the clear-case attached, downside no flip but thats a minor irritation I can live with... can your cables be used through it so you can use it on the move?

I am sure you are gonna love it , just make sure to use the highest mp3/atrac bitrate, and compare them with some Lossless, just for the sake of it.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #468 of 4,019
I know it's been said that it's possible to play FLACs on the Z series using certain Android players, but I don't see/read anyone talking about having done this. Just to clear up - it DOES work? And sounds just dandy? But not 24/96 files I assume?

Ta.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #469 of 4,019

Quote:
I know it's been said that it's possible to play FLACs on the Z series using certain Android players, but I don't see/read anyone talking about having done this. Just to clear up - it DOES work? And sounds just dandy? But not 24/96 files I assume?

Ta.

The limitation is on the player, not the device. Any android mobile phones with the right player could play FLAC/ALAC.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #470 of 4,019
Compared to my J3, i dont have to EQ this guy.
Pros:
1.) Sound is fabulous....better than my J3 for sure.
2.) Sound Stage is a little wider, im able tot tell the position of the instruments accurately
3.) i can hear more details now..the mids the highs are more present! OMG?
4.) Clarity in the highs mids and lows.....nobody overpowers or overshadows......its just sweet envelopment of sound
5.) Whole suite of android capability! WOOT!
6.) Refer to 1.2.3.4 & 5

Cons:
1.) I miss my external controls.....

2.) No expansion port (but i got 64gig so who cares :p)

im playing FLAC using the poweramp db. since im listening it unequalised also its just perfect. 

Btw im using a JH16PRO with Twag V2 Eclipse fully burned in

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #471 of 4,019

Quote:

Pics coming over the weekend (wife given permission to use her mini photo studio for the shots). The WM-port is blocked by the side-elastic, but the headphone-out is accessible. But if I'm going to keep it in the flip-case and want to still use it (without a headphone amp), I use the SONY Bluetooth DRC-BT30, and plug my IEMs in to that. I just got this (peviously had a Motorola version, "Sound Pilot"?), and the audio SQ-loss is not noticeable, no hiss. There used to be a DRC-BT15, and now there is a DRC-BT60.

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #472 of 4,019

Quote:

Ta.

The poweramp app supports up to 24/96 files (I ahve few hi-res albums loaded on my player), but I don't know if the android OS supports it. It's possible that Gingerbread has a built in cap on audio on quality and down samples the output to 16bit regardless of what your app is capable of.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #473 of 4,019

Quote:
Pics coming over the weekend (wife given permission to use her mini photo studio for the shots).....

The WM-port is blocked by the side-elastic, but the headphone-out is accessible. But if I'm going to keep it in the flip-case and want to still use it (without a headphone amp), I use the SONY Bluetooth DRC-BT30, and plug my IEMs in to that. I just got this (peviously had a Motorola version, "Sound Pilot"?), and the audio SQ-loss is not noticeable, no hiss. There used to be a DRC-BT15, and now there is a DRC-BT60.

Thanks to the wife for the shots..... if you could possibly tell me the Garmin model the case was made for that could possibly help.... I like the case itself but I also noticed some tuff-luv cases (Garmin specific) that were flips, their stuff is extreemly well made and the thought of having a case that can house both the Z-series & clear-case definately appeals (the Sony case though real nice I doubt it will accomodate both), hence the model request.

Never had bluetooth gear was always a bit put off by it in truth with reports that information was lost in transit so to speak... any thoughts on bluetooth would be welcomed.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #474 of 4,019

Quote:
Compared to my J3, i dont have to EQ this guy.
Pros:
1.) Sound is fabulous....better than my J3 for sure.
2.) Sound Stage is a little wider, im able tot tell the position of the instruments accurately
3.) i can hear more details now..the mids the highs are more present! OMG?
4.) Clarity in the highs mids and lows.....nobody overpowers or overshadows......its just sweet envelopment of sound
5.) Whole suite of android capability! WOOT!
6.) Refer to 1.2.3.4 & 5

Cons:
1.) I miss my external controls.....

2.) No expansion port (but i got 64gig so who cares :p)

im playing FLAC using the poweramp db. since im listening it unequalised also its just perfect. 

Btw im using a JH16PRO with Twag V2 Eclipse fully burned in

sWEeT!

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #475 of 4,019

Quote:
if you could possibly tell me the Garmin model the case was made for that could possibly help....
... any thoughts on bluetooth would be welcomed.

The Garmin USA website lists 10+ Garmin models it's for, look under Store, Accessories, the item, and then the Compatability tab.

I use the DRC-BT30 infrequently (w/ several iems; Audeo, UE-TF3, 535), but when I do it's nice to have. Have also used it with my Fostex PMO 4.0 active monitors (sounds awesome), when I want to have control of the pmp away from the speakers.

I also have the Visiontek Candybar keyboard paired & working, though I don't know how much I'll use it. I had to purchase the "BlueInput" app due to the v1.0 .apk that came with it (from the same company as BlueInput, TekSoft), didn't work.

Also have "Bluetooth File Transfer" apk (full-version) working.

Other fun apps:
Using Splashtop for Laptop wireless to Z, then to TV (via HDMI Cable). Slingbox looks & runs great (never miss an F1 Race in english broadcast no matter where I am in the world...). iMediaShare allows streaming as a media server to PlayStation.

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #477 of 4,019

Quote:

Whats the best way for the LOD soldered or by Jack.... I've read that a Jack-Jack doesn't work as good soundwise so would it be better via a Jack-Jack/LOD ie connecting a jack to a LOD.... I'm more interested in Sony that iFlop's but I was just having a mad rush of headblood thinking there may be a lil opportunity seeing as quite a few are after quality LOD's for their Walkmans.

It must probably would be ideal to have the wire soldered into the connector but I find the 3.5 jack adaptor version just fine, I had the same problem like you had with Chord in the cable I choose for my portable system was the TWag cable @ Whiplash Audio who could not do the connector and wanting to keep consistency with the same cable I had to opt for the adaptor plug at the time. 

You might find as compared to a main stream bigger company like Chord you will have more luck on here with the smaller custom cable vendors who hand make cables to order even thoughit is far and few between for finding someone to do the 22 pin Sony connector.  One company I know have done a dedicated cable soldered in to the connector is ALO Audio which is worth checking out, but can not comment on the cable it self never having owned any ALO cables but sure there are plenty on here that can. 

Quote:
Amazon UK now have the Z-Series 32gb on sale for £275.....£25 cheaper than Sony, looks like they sold out(?) but are taking orders.

Tempting price for new UK release, would wait for reports on volume cap tolerance on this player before pulling trigger on a UK model unless Sony has a service menu on this new Z and have used some common sense to disable it form there like previous gen Walkmans a few years back, plus it needs to be 64gb really for £275.

You might appreciate this only coming from Kent yourself but it seems Sony centres are getting scarce as there is only one left in Essex where I am as all the other Sony centres have recently closed, my local one is now either Lakeside or Enfield! I know they are franchise over here but sure is a sign of things to come i think for Sony centres in this country apart from the ones located in the big cities maybe.  

The Sony centre on-line for Enfield has the Z1060 at a mind boggling £394!! Wonder if this might explain why they are not making money and shutting up shop. 

Anyway, be sure to let us know how it goes with your Z as I am still very tempted to order the 64gb from Japan but for various reasons with the Z I am just contemplating currently. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #478 of 4,019

Quote:

that made me giggle.... quality.

Oh yeah......

Like the way you used the irony word "quality" there in relation to my  Matsui quip.

....That made me giggle (touche sir) 
wink_face.gif

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #480 of 4,019

Quote:
You might find as compared to a main stream bigger company like Chord you will have more luck on here with the smaller custom cable vendors who hand make cables to order even though it is far and few between for finding someone to do the 22 pin Sony connector.  One company I know have done a dedicated cable soldered in to the connector is ALO Audio which is worth checking out, but can not comment on the cable it self never having owned any ALO cables but sure there are plenty on here that can. 

Tempting price for new UK release, would wait for reports on volume cap tolerance on this player before pulling trigger on a UK model unless Sony has a service menu on this new Z and have used some common sense to disable it form there like previous gen Walkmans a few years back, plus it needs to be 64gb really for £275.

You might appreciate this only coming from Kent yourself but it seems Sony centres are getting scarce as there is only one left in Essex where I am as all the other Sony centres have recently closed, my local one is now either Lakeside or Enfield! I know they are franchise over here but sure is a sign of things to come i think for Sony centres in this country apart from the ones located in the big cities maybe.  

The Sony centre on-line for Enfield has the Z1060 at a mind boggling £394!! Wonder if this might explain why they are not making money and shutting up shop. 

Anyway, be sure to let us know how it goes with your Z as I am still very tempted to order the 64gb from Japan but for various reasons with the Z I am just contemplating currently. 

The ALO lead I'll have a nose at that... with regard to Chord, after looking at other leads the cost what they kinda quoted seems a tad high by comparison but I suppose your guaranteed the quality.... with regard to the LOD I notice there's no spring-clip to hold it firmly in place (unlike a iPod... spits), I have on several occasions managed to knock it out when my old WM was connected to PC... is this a common fault that it's easy to dislodge (?)..... last thing i need is to be forever connecting a lead if I'm on move especially if you've forked out good money on kit... bit like having an Aston and getting a puncher every mile or so.

The Bluewater store shut just after Xmas... the guy at Tunbridge Wells never even knew about the Z-Series until I told him, he thought I was on about the new Playstation thingy... though give him his due he did look it straight up and pointed me where to get the 'Accidental Damage' insurance from (a bit cheaper than Sony, who they do the cover for).... the Bromley shop has been there forever got my first Walkman from them in the 80's.

Spoke to my friend in Canada tonight about trying to help a few buy on here... said they would consider it but only for a few if they did.... mine should be with them on Mon/Tues, then a week to get here... I'm hating the wait.

With regard to the Amazon price, there is on review at the bottom, gives it 5-stars but says its volume capped but he's happy with levels it seems.... suppose the 'euro-cap' won't matter much if you're going to use it with a amp.... the price I've paid for the WM-Z is still cheaper (inc Shipping) than what its on Amazon for so I'm pretty sure I've gone the right route in getting one from Canada even though its only 32gb (I'd loved a 64gb), the Japan cost was just imo to high especially if you fell foul of import duties etc.... see they've released a ltd ed in Japan its on ebay com looks real nice in a platinum white (could be the way to buy one, just ask what they put on customs form, guy I bought my new headphones from said he'd put $10 and say it was a gift... I await with interest on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back