NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Feb 22, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #436 of 4,019

Quote:
OK-Guy,

I guess the real question is now "Which amp do you choose"? Well, that depends on what your goals are. In my case, I sometimes spend months away from home and lugging around a desktop amp between a few countries to just to power a pair of cans isn't an option. So, I went with the ALO Continental V2. The size of the amp is a on the large side and it over kill for your average IEM, but it has the ability to drive full sized phones better than most of the non-portable amp in it's price range. I've been really impressed with it thus far; than again, it's $500 pocket(ish) amp, and it better impress for that price. Turokrocks has gone a different path by mating a TTVJ Slim to his 1070. I can't comment on that rig, besides that it looks to be much more pocket portable (to the point of making me jealous) than my ALO and he says that it gives the Sony a tube like sound. At $350, it's less of a monetary hit too. iBasso seems to make some great stuff and are worth a serious look. Regardless of what you choose, the 1070 really starts to shine once it's amped.

My rig:

Turokrocks:

Next up is the LOD cable for amp. I can firmly stand behind saying that you should avoid the Fiio at all cost. I've been through 3 of them in 4 weeks, each failing in the same manner. Hopefully my last one holds until my E-bay or Fancy Japanese LODs arrive because I refuse to ever purchase a Fiio product again.

I'm actually phoning the Chord.Co (the cable guys) as I know a few of the guys there, I'm going to see if they can make both a small jack-jack connector and a lod for the Sony (I need to know where I can buy the bit that connects to the bottom of the Walkman & what its called.... same for the ipod)..... I love their cables and they owe me favour so hears hoping I can get a few made for head-fiers (I'll let you know the outcome).... they already do a audiophile jack-phono lead (2m minimum I think(?).

PS.... before I forget thanks to Biskit, Turorocks & Lover for photo's & stirling advice, it's appreciated.

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #437 of 4,019

Quote:
I'm actually phoning the Chord.Co (the cable guys) as I know a few of the guys there, I'm going to see if they can make both a small jack-jack connector and a lod for the Sony (I need to know where I can buy the bit that connects to the bottom of the Walkman & what its called.... same for the ipod)..... I love their cables and they owe me favour so hears hoping I can get a few made for head-fiers (I'll let you know the outcome).... they already do a audiophile jack-phono lead (2m minimum I think(?).

PS.... before I forget thanks to Biskit, Turorocks & Lover for photo's & stirling advice, it's appreciated.

Hi OK-Guy, 

I have Chord cables for my Arcam-Tag Mclaren-B&W hi-fi also, very good cables indeed.  Only cable I do not use by them in my chain is the speaker cable which is Van den Haul. 

The bit that connects to the line out/charge section is called a 22 pin WM Port connector and should be able to buy them on eBay, I have seen either the plug you can solder your own wire into or they do it as a 3.5 jack adaptor which is handy and flexible: I think the ipod is maybe a 21 pin (don't quote me on that one, been a long time since I had a Touch ipod) hopefully someone can chime in on that one....

That jack phone lead by Chord they can be any length, you just have to phone them up, which should be no prob as you know some of them there also. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Walkman-MP3-Player-Line-out-Dock-LOD-3-5mm-Jack-/280508140763?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item414f968cdb#ht_3182wt_1037

Reading your previous post's with dacs if you also wanted a built in headphone amp also might want to check out the Audiolab Mdac £600 but have heard the amp section is not as good as the Naim Headline with NAPSC power supply I used to have.  I'm hoping to demo the Mdac myself soon but afraid I might just like it.

First thing first is a 64gb Z to replace my ageing X Walkman if someone does not want their Japanese version and happens to live in the UK ; )

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #438 of 4,019

Quote:
Only cable I do not use by them in my chain is the speaker cable which is Van den Haul. 

So you would choose Monoprice speaker cable over VDH's one?
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 22, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #439 of 4,019
Feb 22, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #440 of 4,019

Quote:
Hi OK-Guy, 

The bit that connects to the line out/charge section is called a 22 pin WM Port connector and should be able to buy them on eBay, I have seen either the plug you can solder your own wire into or they do it as a 3.5 jack adaptor which is handy and flexible: I think the ipod is maybe a 21 pin (don't quote me on that one, been a long time since I had a Touch ipod) hopefully someone can chime in on that one....

Whats the best way for the LOD soldered or by Jack.... I've read that a Jack-Jack doesn't work as good soundwise so would it be better via a Jack-Jack/LOD ie connecting a jack to a LOD.... I'm more interested in Sony that iFlop's but I was just having a mad rush of headblood thinking there may be a lil opportunity seeing as quite a few are after quality LOD's for their Walkmans.

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #443 of 4,019

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #444 of 4,019
More impression on the sound quality of the Z1060/1070 please especially against the X1060.  My 32GB on the X is not cutting it for me any more.  Does the Z series support Flash content?  

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #445 of 4,019

Quote:
More impression on the sound quality of the Z1060/1070 please especially against the X1060.  My 32GB on the X is not cutting it for me any more.  Does the Z series support Flash content?  

Yes, the Z supports Flash, but the native browser is basic, and only in Mobile-mode, not Desktop (note correction to earlier comment re: this).

A very unscientific SQ comment: the A846 is like running JRiver without IzonePro, and the Z is with IzonePro enabled. I know, VERY unscientific and not an apples to apples comparison (duck head for incoming objects be thrown towards me... :) 

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #446 of 4,019

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #447 of 4,019

I spoke to the guys at Chord Co. this afternoon and this is what the said they can do.... they will not make a Sony based LOD, what they can make using their iChord cable is a Jack-Jack (5-6 inches in length) cable that can be used via a wm-port or jack socket.

I've used a photo of their iChord Jack-Phono cable as a example of the cable obviously both will be terminated 'jack's'... cost would be between £48-50 ($75-80).

I got to phone back on Monday with regards to numbers, so if anyone's interested..... like all Chord products it will carry a lifetime-guarantee, for those of you who have never heard of Chord Co. they make some of the finest cables around (personally I have several of their products RCA's & Speaker Cables and they sound pretty amazing, very detailed)

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #449 of 4,019

Quote:
I see they are now in stock at the Sony store online.  That's pretty good.  A week earlier than projected. 

I'm resisting the temptation to order as I prefer the extra memory of the 1070.  Wonder why Sony USA decided against 64GB version in the US market.  

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #450 of 4,019
"Wonder why Sony USA decided against 64GB version in the US market."

We can all be assured that the decisiion was made in Tokyo, without an opportunity for SONY USA having any say in the matter (fact).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back