NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Feb 25, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #481 of 4,019

Quote:
Compared to my J3, i dont have to EQ this guy.
Pros:
1.) Sound is fabulous....better than my J3 for sure.
2.) Sound Stage is a little wider, I'm able tot tell the position of the instruments accurately
3.) i can hear more details now..the mids the highs are more present! OMG?
4.) Clarity in the highs mids and lows.....nobody overpowers or overshadows......its just sweet envelopment of sound
5.) Whole suite of android capability! WOOT!
6.) Refer to 1.2.3.4 & 5

Cons:
1.) I miss my external controls.....

2.) No expansion port (but i got 64gig so who cares :p)

im playing FLAC using the poweramp db. since im listening it unequalised also its just perfect. 

Btw im using a JH16PRO with Twag V2 Eclipse fully burned in

Thanks for this, great stuff. I'm hoping it can handle my library of WAV files via the folder navigation (no tags).

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #484 of 4,019
Previously owned the Sony A845, EU volume cap and all. 9-12 out of 30 volume (depending on the recording) was loud enough with UM2. 20/30 turned my PX100 into mini-speakers. Yes Sony implement EU volume capping like all other manufacturers. Yes Sony implement it more aggressively than other manufacturers. But those who say maxed out they found Sony quiet to me are looking at the wrong place

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #485 of 4,019

Quote:
If it was that simple I wouldn't be importing one.

You could download the US or Japanese ROM to your Z, when available .

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #487 of 4,019

Quote:
anyone tried that route ?... I wouldn't have a clue

I looked, but its not available . I want to download the US ROM to my Japanese Z.  Many times I downloaded different Roms to my android devises, so its easy, just require for someone to upload his Z ROM.

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #488 of 4,019

Quote:

Essex huh.... 'ammers fan?... I am

North London N17 OAP Lily Whites, Harry's home ; )

Quote:
The ALO lead I'll have a nose at that... with regard to Chord, after looking at other leads the cost what they kinda quoted seems a tad high by comparison but I suppose your guaranteed the quality.... with regard to the LOD I notice there's no spring-clip to hold it firmly in place (unlike a iPod... spits), I have on several occasions managed to knock it out when my old WM was connected to PC... is this a common fault that it's easy to dislodge (?)..... last thing i need is to be forever connecting a lead if I'm on move especially if you've forked out good money on kit... bit like having an Aston and getting a puncher every mile or so.

The Bluewater store shut just after Xmas... the guy at Tunbridge Wells never even knew about the Z-Series until I told him, he thought I was on about the new Playstation thingy... though give him his due he did look it straight up and pointed me where to get the 'Accidental Damage' insurance from (a bit cheaper than Sony, who they do the cover for).... the Bromley shop has been there forever got my first Walkman from them in the 80's.

Spoke to my friend in Canada tonight about trying to help a few buy on here... said they would consider it but only for a few if they did.... mine should be with them on Mon/Tues, then a week to get here... I'm hating the wait.

With regard to the Amazon price, there is on review at the bottom, gives it 5-stars but says its volume capped but he's happy with levels it seems.... suppose the 'euro-cap' won't matter much if you're going to use it with a amp.... the price I've paid for the WM-Z is still cheaper (inc Shipping) than what its on Amazon for so I'm pretty sure I've gone the right route in getting one from Canada even though its only 32gb (I'd loved a 64gb), the Japan cost was just imo to high especially if you fell foul of import duties etc.... see they've released a ltd ed in Japan its on ebay com looks real nice in a platinum white (could be the way to buy one, just ask what they put on customs form, guy I bought my new headphones from said he'd put $10 and say it was a gift... I await with interest on that one.

Erm, My Aston has never got punchers every mile, my lod connector for my Sony X is actually quite tough to remove and needs a firm tug to release from Walkman.

A pic of my WM lod connector 3.5 adaptor with my Whiplash TWag V2 lod cable which solely from the SQ aspect and this is in comparison to the Chord stuff we know so well but just solely on the portable domain the TWag's are very impressive indeed, but the caveat lays within as you touched upon with the ALO cables; is the price for these higher end "custom" cables worth it? for me there is a flip side to the coin this subject which could go round in circles all day, but feel if you have the funds eventually to top of the portable system with some good quality cables it is worth the extra outlay when configured in to what that system has already cost anyway. 
Would you of got your nice Arcam set up and then used strand 79 speaker wire with say Profigold rca's? no? hence the Chord cables.

Sony centres have always been  poorly informed of release dates on products as they had no inkling in the past of pre release new lines them selves (almost felt like they pleaded ignorance ever time) which where already made public knowledge by Sony already but I always found for the exception of a couple that the staff on most of the Essex branches where poorly informed/ trained on the actual products as if they had just been lifted straight out of Comets/Dixons because they knew jack s*** about their own products in depth and always found my self telling them about the products to them, a very strange role reversal scenario on a Saturday afternoons shopping many a time!

I remember my first high end Cassette Walkman (£100) not much bigger than the actual cassette from the Sony centre in Chelmsford in 1990 what memory's! 

The limited platinum white looks a nice alternative from the normal Sony piano black, I prefer Sony to go back to the posh brushed silver metal they used to do on their top MD/tape Walkmans which gave it that almost stylist contemporary look and feel which now feels like Apple seem to perfect now days. 

IMO I reckon depending on how well the Z does shift in the UK & US (not holding my breath here really) they will eventually release the 64gb version to the UK/US markets at a later date 6-10 months time as they have been know to do this before ,sometimes they have called it a limited edition when they have, always a few months before the next gen model is released but again that also does depend if the volume cap for me if ti is like the A84x series or the A86X series. For me I will need that adequate volume headroom as I will be using it unamped also for those commute journeys without big pockets for a portable amp. If it is like my X series that would more than suffice for me.

I'm not sure I can wait that long anyway as I am going on my vacation to the states in October and want to be going away with a nice new Sony 64gb Walkman for that long flight. 

Hope your wait surpasses soon and it will be everything you expect from it SQ wise.  

For me it is not the perfect player  I was long awaiting to replace my X for the money from just a ergonomic and spec issue pov (my personal bug bears with Sony) as I want this to be a Walkman that would last me a while but don't think I can hold on for a UK 64gb if it ever comes or next gen model come to that when I keep hearing it is an improvement over the X series SQ which has still not fatigued my ears one bit even when unamped.

I am sure the more reviews that start rolling on here soon will make it harder to refute it's existence! 

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #492 of 4,019

Quote:
North London N17 OAP Lily Whites, Harry's home ; )

my lod connector for my Sony X is actually quite tough to remove and needs a firm tug to release from Walkman.

A pic of my WM lod connector 3.5 adaptor with my Whiplash TWag V2 lod cable which solely from the SQ aspect and this is in comparison to the Chord stuff we know so well but just solely on the portable domain the TWag's are very impressive indeed, but the caveat lays within as you touched upon with the ALO cables; is the price for these higher end "custom" cables worth it?.

I remember my first high end Cassette Walkman (£100) not much bigger than the actual cassette from the Sony centre in Chelmsford in 1990 what memory's! 

I am sure the more reviews that start rolling on here soon will make it harder to refute it's existence! 

Bagpuss's home ??? LMAO..... he's only a tempary tennant, he's known to be a bit of a fraud where loyalty is concerned (see what I did there, two birds one stone)..... he'll be off as soon as, he just wants the possible glory of seeing the season out so he don't get called Judas.

Thanks for that, I'll prob invest in one like yours ie cable & serperate LOD.... the Chord quote is now seeming to be a bit of a good buy, some of these cables are mega expensive for their size..... I was toying with the idea of getting a Fiio-E17 (the new one) as my amp, its cost are reasonable but I've seen some reliability issues with their connects so that has made me a bit pensive.... any thoughts on amps.... say from $100 up.

Absolutely loved Walkmans, no other players got close with regard to SQ & style, my old Sony mp3 reminded me of that so much with its lil hiss in the background & rekindled my interest in portable music.

I'm going to be all over my Z-Series faster than a rabid rash infection when I get it..... I'll do a review of what I hear and what music I use (I'm not tainted by other brands so have no grudges to bear, well I do think my Sister's iPhone4 is crap for music but shes happy with it so I won't knock it)..... the only SQ I can compare it to is my former home set-up (now half sold so unusable)..... obviously a lot on here will see my kit on here as average or not very good, I can respect that but there is also a lot on here that I daresay are like me, personally I thinks that reviews should cover a wide spectrum as a hi-end review should be seen as a goal to strive for musically if your so inclined.

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #493 of 4,019

Quote:
I'm curious, who manufactures that keyboard and what is it used for ? thanks.

Post #477 (from this thread): I got the Visiontek "Candyboard" paired & working, though I don't know how much I'll use it. I had to purchase the "BlueInput" app due to the v1.0 .apk that came with it (from the same company as BlueInput, TekSoft), didn't work.

I imagine it is suitable for text (emails, etc...)...just one of those (extra) toys.

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #494 of 4,019

Quote:
Here are some pics with the Z, clear-hard-case, and the Garmin 5" Case.

Here you can see the headphone jack is accessible in the case.

I call this shot: Good / Better / Best

What's in your locker...

Nice to see other head-fiers when they line up all their gear on parade.

I used to have the A820, good solid build. 

Will you ever use both of the A series in your photo now you have the Z? 

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #495 of 4,019

Quote:
Bagpuss's home ??? LMAO..... he's only a tempary tennant, he's known to be a bit of a fraud where loyalty is concerned (see what I did there, two birds one stone)..... he'll be off as soon as, he just wants the possible glory of seeing the season out so he don't get called Judas.

Thanks for that, I'll prob invest in one like yours ie cable & serperate LOD.... the Chord quote is now seeming to be a bit of a good buy, some of these cables are mega expensive for their size..... I was toying with the idea of getting a Fiio-E17 (the new one) as my amp, its cost are reasonable but I've seen some reliability issues with their connects so that has made me a bit pensive.... any thoughts on amps.... say from $100 up.

Absolutely loved Walkmans, no other players got close with regard to SQ & style, my old Sony mp3 reminded me of that so much with its lil hiss in the background & rekindled my interest in portable music.

I'm going to be all over my Z-Series faster than a rabid rash infection when I get it..... I'll do a review of what I hear and what music I use (I'm not tainted by other brands so have no grudges to bear, well I do think my Sister's iPhone4 is crap for music but shes happy with it so I won't knock it)..... the only SQ I can compare it to is my former home set-up (now half sold so unusable)..... obviously a lot on here will see my kit on here as average or not very good, I can respect that but there is also a lot on here that I daresay are like me, personally I thinks that reviews should cover a wide spectrum as a hi-end review should be seen as a goal to strive for musically if your so inclined.

Lol, never said how long it will be his home, realise he will be off when season end's, worse kept secret of the year, aren't all of them temporary apart from AF & AW. 
He was cleared of all charges, he is straight as they come, just ask rosie47
wink_face.gif

Anyway, I digress.....

I almost got that Chord ic myself, my guess is knowing chord it would most probably give a lot of boutique cables costing a lot more a run for their money.

But saying that I have had two types of custom cables since I found Head-fi and they both where an improvement for sure taking out cost factor alone, it's just again if you think they are worth the extra cost on some that are out there which is where a lot of reading comes into affect on this site as you cannot try them before laying down a lot of ££'s like you would with been able to demo some main stream cables like Chord from your local hi-fi dealer for a week before committing to that outlay. 

Do not know much about the E17 apart from it does look a very nice well thought out ergonomic design and if SQ is any good should be a good amp with a dac for the price if the reliability is not a stumbling block of course.

I will send you a pm later, but I think the S master amp on my X and if the Z is the same or as reported an improvement with the MX amp i think you might be surprised how good the built in amp is when trying to match a portable amp to improve it by a considerable amount. 

There are a lot of factors if you want to amp the Z like will you need a porta amp to drive harder full size cans as well (maybe in future) or just IEM's? what music do you listen to? what signature are you looking for in the amp? and then other usual ingredients like battery life expectations, size and other features to make checking all the boxes even harder.

It doesn't matter where we all start with equipment, budgets are usually the hindrance for approx 85% of us unhinged equipment junkies on here anyway - such is life :frowning2:
     The journey can be a more educational experience working the way up the ladder as we all strive for more improvement in sound to what we currently have and can be a more sober and sweeter experience once you get to the top of what one might class as an acceptable summit of audio nirvana for ones self (the perfect set up, no more spending - does that ever happen? sorry about your wallet, blah blah blah!).

But then there are times like after owning several medium - top universal iem's all with drawback's to stop them being long term perfect solutions I did not want to stay on the spending cycle approx £150-300 every 1-2 years and had enough and just wanted to jump to the top of what money could buy getting the JH16pro customs in view they would be an investment that would last at least several - ten years at worse.  Has that still stopped me striving for other customs now, err.... No (i'm so weak) 
And does it detract from me enjoying my full size Sony Z1000 cans I purchased recently on Amp3 that cost (rrp) half the price of the 16pro's?.... thankfully No. 

A mixed message there indeed, but all the fun of the journey I have had since finding this blood sucking money site two years ago!

In a nutshell....personally if that Z is good as or better than my X then I will stick my neck on the line and say you should be more than happy with the SQ alone when you receive it even before the amping route.

Look forward to that review ; )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back