NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Dec 10, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #16 of 4,019

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome! Yup, my wallet took a hurting and I think it will take a while to heal! But it was worth it.
About Flac support, no, it doesn't support it... Only lossless format supported is ATRAC Lossless, wich I find a pain in the arse since I have to convert them... Or you could go with WAV wich is supported but not practical because of the file size. About gapless, nope, unfortunately not...

ATRAC is gapless. Anything else (except WAV) would not be. As I posted elsewhere, I've already tested it. Gapless works just fine with my ATRAC files.

Although the ironic part about it being Android is if there is a FLAC player you could probably load it on there and use it.

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #17 of 4,019
Ive contacted a website that specially buys things from Japan, and ships them anywhere in the world, about getting a quote for this new Walkman. I'll keep everyone posted if you're interested. The site is:

http://whiterabbitexpress.com/

I'll have to see how much they charge for the whole package, but if its reasonable, I'm getting myself one of these for sure! 

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #18 of 4,019
How about syncing the device?  Seems like the X took years to copy a bunch of files over.  Any improvement?

Quote:
Hello headfiers! Well I would like to start by saying I've lurked around here for a while. Everytime I decide to buy new audio related gear I do a little research online and this site has been of great help to me. Well I think it's time to give something back to this comunity, by doing a little review of a new player I just bought. So here it is:

I opted for the 64 GB version, black color...
The black bezel is actually made of metal, probably aluminum, it feels solid and sturdy.
The touchscreen is made of glass, don't know if it's gorilla glass but it seems strong.

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #19 of 4,019

Quote:
Ive contacted a website that specially buys things from Japan, and ships them anywhere in the world, about getting a quote for this new Walkman. I'll keep everyone posted if you're interested. The site is:

http://whiterabbitexpress.com/

I'll have to see how much they charge for the whole package, but if its reasonable, I'm getting myself one of these for sure! 

I just sent an inquiry as well, but front and center on the request page it says they charge a 15% fee on the price of the item, or $15 minimum. Unless they can score a great price on the Z, I'm probably not going to eat another $75 on this through them. I'll try to find a helpful HF'er in Japan who will purchase/ship it to me after sending funds to their paypal for the total... 

Dec 10, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #20 of 4,019

Quote:
Regarding the draconian 'volume cap' applied by the E.U. to all music players, this can easily be circumvented by changing the players locality to outside the European Union. So, pick a non-European English language speaking country from the setup menu and enjoy music at the volume YOU decide.

Unfortunately this doesn't work on the Sony DAPs. There is no way in changing the region in the settings. The EU volume cap is permanent on the Sony DAPs. Same goes for the Apple iPods. However it is possible to change the region setting on the Cowon and Sansa DAPs.

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #21 of 4,019

Quote:
No. No Sony DAP has ever had one and I fail to see why anyone would want one. This isn't a phone (although the OS settings hint at one).

What does this NOT being a phone have to do with having a microSD card slot??? Really, I was hoping Sony MIGHT see the light. Besides, you can NEVER have too much space - music, video, games, all take quite a bit of space on an Android device. Even without the games, video can eat space up, as well as lossless files. Your comment made no sense IMO.

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #22 of 4,019

Quote:

I just sent an inquiry as well, but front and center on the request page it says they charge a 15% fee on the price of the item, or $15 minimum. Unless they can score a great price on the Z, I'm probably not going to eat another $75 on this through them. I'll try to find a helpful HF'er in Japan who will purchase/ship it to me after sending funds to their paypal for the total... 

Yeah I hear you, that sounds like a good idea. Let me know how it goes! 
 Edit: Looks like they're up on ebay now for another option.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Sony-Walkman-Android-2-3-Bluetooth-16GB-NW-Z1050-R-/360417360632?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item53ea8c7af8#ht_2041wt_1396

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #23 of 4,019
Can you confirm that the language can be set to english & the japanese model isn't volume capped?

I currently own an x series & love it's SQ. If the Z series SQ is on a par i'll get one asap.

My son has an ipod touch and,although it's great for browsing, i just don't like the SQ compared to the rich warm sound of the x series.

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #27 of 4,019
Dec 13, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #28 of 4,019

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome! Yup, my wallet took a hurting and I think it will take a while to heal! But it was worth it.
About Flac support, no, it doesn't support it... Only lossless format supported is ATRAC Lossless, wich I find a pain in the arse since I have to convert them... Or you could go with WAV wich is supported but not practical because of the file size. About gapless, nope, unfortunately not...

Hello there, the Z is android based OS, so you can grab Power amp software in the market and it support FLAC. I still cant find the WMPort --> 1/8" stereo as you mention , could you give me the direct link to it? Thanks in advance.

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #29 of 4,019

Quote:
Hello there, the Z is android based OS, so you can grab Power amp software in the market and it support FLAC. I still cant find the WMPort --> 1/8" stereo as you mention , could you give me the direct link to it? Thanks in advance.

Search eBay for Walkman LOD. Loads of results you will get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back