NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Dec 13, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #31 of 4,019
Hello guys! Sorry for the abscence, I've been busy at work lately! Now to answer some questions:

Quote:
where did you buy the walkman z?

I live in Japan, and I bought it from a local store (KS Denki)

Quote:
Hi, one question the UI is completely in english?

Yup, it comes in japanese, but you can easily set it to English in the settings menu. That was one of the main reasons I bought it since I can't read Japanese.

Here's a pic:

Quote:
How about the phone out sound quality comparing to ipod and other Sony DAP?

As I said before, the sound quality from the phone out is much better than either the iPod touch 4g I owned before or the Sony walkman A855 I currently own. The A855 comes close, but the Z1070 is warmer and more detailed, with better sound stage and the touch isn't even a contender! 

Quote:
Can you confirm that the language can be set to english & the japanese model isn't volume capped?

I currently own an x series & love it's SQ. If the Z series SQ is on a par i'll get one asap.

My son has an ipod touch and,although it's great for browsing, i just don't like the SQ compared to the rich warm sound of the x series.

Yup, the japanese model has both English and Japanese, and the volume isn't capped in any way. I can listen to my audio technica full sized headphones through the phone out with no volume problems watsoever. Ive never owned an X series, so I can't really tell the difference, but I don't think you will be disappointed!

Pic:

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #32 of 4,019
Thanks for all the great pictures, and the solid write up. Mine is now on order and I'm more excited than ever to receive it! 

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #33 of 4,019
^^ Did you order from whiterabbitexpress? Are you in the US?

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #34 of 4,019

Quote:
^^ Did you order from whiterabbitexpress? Are you in the US?

No, I'm in Canada. But yes I did order from them, their price was reasonable, cheaper than the one on eBay. I'm sure you could find a better deal, but patience is not one of my virtues lol. 
wink_face.gif

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #35 of 4,019

Quote:
No, I'm in Canada. But yes I did order from them, their price was reasonable, cheaper than the one on eBay. I'm sure you could find a better deal, but patience is not one of my virtues lol
wink_face.gif

Mine neither! 

I want to order one right now too, but I also want to track down a pair of Denon D5000s for sale somewhere. Can't do both at the same time unfortunately. How long did it take for them to fulfill the order and ship after you sent funds? Thanks in advance.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #36 of 4,019
Interesting, waiting to hear from more members. Lately I've been listening to my A829 since my Sony X has too many problems (audio jack only works at specific angle... lol!) But I tried my X yesterday, it sounded tad too warm for my ears. (I don't use EQ, since I am too lazy to change EQ every 4 minutes for different genre/style :p )

How does it compare against iPod touch 4G? Is it warmer or about the same? Can't stand warm players any more. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #37 of 4,019

Quote:
Yes, it is a WMPort and if you get the right cable, it can be line out. I got a WMPort --> 1/8" stereo off of Amazon awhile back.

I purchased this player today at Bic Camera - haven't taken it out of the box yet.

it would be nice if there is on the other side a mini usb port to try it with a xm6!!!

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #38 of 4,019
"Yup, it comes in japanese, but you can easily set it to English in the settings menu."

I might be stupid, but if it comes in Japanese, how can you tell which is the settings menu (is the icon obvious, for example). Sorry if this is a daft question

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #39 of 4,019

Quote:

Mine neither! 

I want to order one right now too, but I also want to track down a pair of Denon D5000s for sale somewhere. Can't do both at the same time unfortunately. How long did it take for them to fulfill the order and ship after you sent funds? Thanks in advance.

Ahh yeah that makes sense! Well they ordered it from Amazon Japan for me, but it has to ship to them before they ship it to me. They got my funds and placed the order in less than a day though, so so far its been a pleasant experience. It's still going to be a few weeks before I see it I imagine, but I'm not too sure. They said they'd email me once they ship it off to Canada. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #41 of 4,019
Nice ES10 over there. High 5 to a fellow owner!

No microSD slot is almost a dealbreaker but I can live with it if it's at least the 32gb version.

How's the battery life? As an Android user,I know how much of a battery hog the OS is so I'm really curious if it meets the 20hour playback time.

Quote:
Hello guys! Sorry for the abscence, I've been busy at work lately! Now to answer some questions:

I live in Japan, and I bought it from a local store (KS Denki)

Yup, it comes in japanese, but you can easily set it to English in the settings menu. That was one of the main reasons I bought it since I can't read Japanese.

Here's a pic:

As I said before, the sound quality from the phone out is much better than either the iPod touch 4g I owned before or the Sony walkman A855 I currently own. The A855 comes close, but the Z1070 is warmer and more detailed, with better sound stage and the touch isn't even a contender! 

Yup, the japanese model has both English and Japanese, and the volume isn't capped in any way. I can listen to my audio technica full sized headphones through the phone out with no volume problems watsoever. Ive never owned an X series, so I can't really tell the difference, but I don't think you will be disappointed!

Pic:

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #42 of 4,019
I played with the Z1070 yesterday in BIC Shibuya & possibly I'm not familiar enough with Andoids but -personally- I found the interface a little slow.

SQ, I do agree it sounded good straight out of the DAP vs my iPhone 4S (Victor/JVC FX700) but that's with their demo tracks.

I'm particularly curious on the opinions of the Z1070 owners if the Android FLAC app works well on these devices as ATRAC doesn't gel well with me (just personal taste).

Anyone knows what DAC & OP AMP is inside these things??

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #43 of 4,019
Since it's android supported, would you be able to play flac files? There's only a few issues that's holding me back form getting this dap and I'm definitely considering the hifiman 601 or 602 and the iBasso dx100 when it comes out.

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #44 of 4,019
I think you could also run the Rockbox Android port on it, which would be a huge perk.

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #45 of 4,019

Quote:
Nice ES10 over there. High 5 to a fellow owner!

No microSD slot is almost a dealbreaker but I can live with it if it's at least the 32gb version.

How's the battery life? As an Android user,I know how much of a battery hog the OS is so I'm really curious if it meets the 20hour playback time.

Well thanks! I really like the SQ on these! But I didn't like the original earpads so I bought a replacement set for the ESW9 and I found them much more confortable. Well, the battery life is ok for an Android device. I've got about 6-7 hours with some heavy usage, downloading and installing apps, doing some browsing while listening to some music. I believe with wifi, gps and the screen off you can achieve that playback time.

Quote:
I played with the Z1070 yesterday in BIC Shibuya & possibly I'm not familiar enough with Andoids but -personally- I found the interface a little slow.
SQ, I do agree it sounded good straight out of the DAP vs my iPhone 4S (Victor/JVC FX700) but that's with their demo tracks.
I'm particularly curious on the opinions of the Z1070 owners if the Android FLAC app works well on these devices as ATRAC doesn't gel well with me (just personal taste).
Anyone knows what DAC & OP AMP is inside these things??

Well, I found that the interface was ok, but I downloaded a new launcher from the market (LauncherPro) and it was buttery smooth, much better than the original launcher. Then I installed another launcher (ADWLauncher) and it was even better, even with a live wallpaper it felt smoother than the stock launcher. Definitely on par with the iPad.
I don't know about the DAC and OP AMP, I'm curious about that too, but not enough to take it apart!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back