New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 2, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #3,976 of 4,122
A queery that may have already been answered so apologise if it has but...

Why does Sony abide by the EU rules around volume limiters when other retailers are selling products with the same or simialr function with no volume limiters. Thinking all the Ibasso, Fiio, Hiby, Cayin etc etc that are sold in th eUK and throughout Europe with no limits on volume.
Because Sony sells a ton of different products and around the world and why would they jeopardize those sales to defy the EU on a niche product like a DAP. Chinese DAP makers are a drop in the bucket and can risk sidestepping the regulations. Alot of their products are imported from Asia anyway so sales in these countries is less than tiny and not worth prosecuting over. Really it is a blessing to the Chinese DAP makers as it gives them a fighting chance in these markets over Sony.

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #3,977 of 4,122
Ah great, after factory reset of the previous firmware, it still charges to 100% with battery care. Finally, they fix it.
Mine seems to only charge to 100% if powered off when charging (or it goes off). Seems to need Android OS on to work.

Feb 3, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #3,980 of 4,122
Hi all, in connection of sorts with the 306 what are your recommendations for over the ear Bluetooth headphones for our DAP? Currently have the Bang and Olufsen Beoplay Ex's and the Sony xm5's. Regards Graham

What are you looking for? XM5s are pretty solid all around ANC heaphones.

For me, the Solitaire T are the first and only BT Heaphone that even fairly compare to a wired setup.

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #3,981 of 4,122
WH-1000XM4
I didn't like the sound of these headphones at all. Vеry simple sound. Frustratingly simple.
Modern TWS headphones, which are twice as cheap, sound noticeably better today.

Good sound in Bluetooth full-size headphones starts today at about BW PX7 s2 level.

Feb 4, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #3,983 of 4,122
Do any of you happen to know (by info from trustworthy sources or by own observation) if the Sony's Music Player does read and apply the replay gain info from the files on playback? Or does it completely disregard it?

Feb 6, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #3,984 of 4,122
Hi guys! thank you so much for all the information shared over this thread, it was super useful to set up my little A306...
I have an itch I need to un/scratch though. I am escalating quickly my urge for better sounding and just acquired a Dunu SA6 which sound oh so lovely but now I feel like a "better" ( more expensive ) will make my IEMs sing higher, and I lurk towards the Shanling M3U which by the reviews looks so lovely.
Is there anyone who can give me some help and tell me my little player is all I need or is it real than the Shanling or other bigger fatter, less battery life players will make my life fulfilled?
Thank you in advance!

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #3,985 of 4,122
Hi guys! thank you so much for all the information shared over this thread, it was super useful to set up my little A306...
I have an itch I need to un/scratch though. I am escalating quickly my urge for better sounding and just acquired a Dunu SA6 which sound oh so lovely but now I feel like a "better" ( more expensive ) will make my IEMs sing higher, and I lurk towards the Shanling M3U which by the reviews looks so lovely.
Is there anyone who can give me some help and tell me my little player is all I need or is it real than the Shanling or other bigger fatter, less battery life players will make my life fulfilled?
Thank you in advance!
I had both and kept the Sony.
Smaller, lighter, nicer UI, different (not better or worse) sound signature. The Shanling is warmer, Sony a little more exciting.

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #3,987 of 4,122
Thank you for your reply. I have read that the Shanling sound was warm, but they say as well fuller, with more rounded low end. Is that what you felt about them?
The sound isn't that different and both sounded excellent.
The practicalities of the Sony easily swung it for me.
But if you are happy to consider a heavier chunkier device and like a warmer sound then see if you can listen to the Shanling.

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #3,988 of 4,122
Thank you in advance!
Hi, I bought the Shanling before the Sony. I sent it back due to the weight, great DAP but definitely prefer the Sony due to size and feel. Perfect in more ways than not if you get my meaning.

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #3,989 of 4,122
The sound isn't that different and both sounded excellent.
The practicalities of the Sony easily swung it for me.
But if you are happy to consider a heavier chunkier device and like a warmer sound then see if you can listen to the Shanling.
I had a quick listening session in a crowded shop in Tokyo last weekend, and somehow felt the roundiness of the Shanling... Or maybe it was my brain telling me so when trying to concentrate on the sound.
You might be right, for a little more warmth, I will end up with a heavier, chunkier player with half the battery of the A306.
My wife and wallet thank you for your explanation!

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:59 AM Post #3,990 of 4,122
Hi, I bought the Shanling before the Sony. I sent it back due to the weight, great DAP but definitely prefer the Sony due to size and feel. Perfect in more ways than not if you get my meaning.
Yeah I get what you mean... Why having 5% more in sound quality, when you get 30% more annoyance from the weight and chunkiness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back