New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Jan 23, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #3,946 of 4,139
I spent some time yesterday tinkering with Syncthing (https://syncthing.net/) - a robust, actively developed cross-platform open source synchronisation tool.

With my music collection being on a NAS and being 500GB+, installing and configuring Syncthing on my Walkman enables me to keep my collection always in sync across devices (and, rather importantly, allows me to manage it wirelessly, bypassing Sony's clunky app and File explorer).

I was pleased to discover that the Android Syncthing app can be set to only run when Wifi is on and/or only when the walkman is charging so it looks like there won't be any significant battery hit. The sync is set as one-way, so there's no risk of the Walkman corrupting my "master" collection.

With a collection of the size of hundreds of GBs the initial configuration takes a bit of time, happy to share my experience and learnings if anyone is interested.
I used syncopoli in the past because it supports rsync but somehow i switched to just use the apps on Android directly and use my Walkman as my Music collection. So i have everything on the SD Card on my Walkman and i just plug the Walkman into the PC and access the files that way.

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #3,947 of 4,139
whilst i love my little sony walkman. i think the walkman app could be improved by just a few little things. not sure why sony haven't done this anyway and i doubt they ever will for whatever reason, but:

- export playlists made on the device (i mean come on)
- edit playlists on the device that have been imported onto it.
- when i favourite a track i dont need a stupid pop saying i have and press ok. just highlight the star/fav button
- same as above when adding tracks to the playlists (not that i bother making them on the device anymore)
- most played tracks
- sort alphabetically (not by surname)

i like the simplicity and lack of fluff with the app, but the above things are pretty much essential for a music app today? thoughts. i dont want to have to use uapp or poweramp simply to be able to export my playlists or keep track of most played tracks etc. or waste my time making playlists or adding favourites that will be lost once the sony is etc.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #3,948 of 4,139
whilst i love my little sony walkman. i think the walkman app could be improved by just a few little things. not sure why sony haven't done this anyway and i doubt they ever will for whatever reason, but:

- when i favourite a track i dont need a stupid pop saying i have and press ok. just highlight the star/fav button
- same as above when adding tracks to the playlists (not that i bother making them on the device anymore)
- most played tracks

i like the simplicity and lack of fluff with the app, but the above things are pretty much essential for a music app today? thoughts. i dont want to have to use uapp or poweramp simply to be able to export my playlists or keep track of most played tracks etc. or waste my time making playlists or adding favourites that will be lost once the sony is etc.
what about sony music center? does anymore know if i plug my walkman in will it bring up frequently play from the walkman or is that desktop only (in which case no good)

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #3,949 of 4,139

- most played tracks

Totally agree with you 💯, especially on the playlist

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #3,950 of 4,139
It’s a small thing but it annoys me a little that when I back out of selecting a song to play, it takes me straight to the Home Screen rather than back to the album.

Edit: Oh, ignore me. I’ve got it to work!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 3:59 AM Post #3,952 of 4,139
Used ZX507 for less than new A306

Does it make sense to pull the trigger on a used ZX507 if I can get it for $100 less than a new A306 about $360 CDN?

I really don't want an android DAP but at this price using it for local tracks only makes it worthwhile given it still sells for $1200 CDN new. Not worried at all about android version since I won't be using wifi or streaming.

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #3,953 of 4,139
Used ZX507 for less than new A306

Does it make sense to pull the trigger on a used ZX507 if I can get it for $100 less than a new A306 about $360 CDN?

I really don't want an android DAP but at this price using it for local tracks only makes it worthwhile given it still sells for $1200 CDN new. Not worried at all about android version since I won't be using wifi or streaming.
its the battery id be worried about

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #3,955 of 4,139
its the battery id be worried about
Normally I would be worried to but I currently have an A55 I bought used 18 months ago that I put the MrWalkman firmware on and it is still going strong. The ZX507 is being sold by a dealer in Japan so there is some protection. The A55 is alot older model than the ZX507 and Sony is known for having high quality batteries.

If I get an A306 I have to import from Japan to avoid the volume cap so no warranty anyway. At an $800+ discount over a new ZX507 the used ZX507 could be an amazing deal and still might be worth a shot.

I was looking for a really good sounding non-android DAP and right now the best sounding option is the Hiby RS2 which is a purist DAP with no bluetooth or wifi that uses an R2R resistor ladder in place of a DAC chip. Amazing sound quality but really expensive and not great for much else except for dual microsd slots. Looking also at the Hiby R3 II and Shanling M1S but clearly not in the same realm sound quality wise.

The ZX507 used strictly with the Sony Music App and all the google crap nullified as much as possible and no wifi would offer me same ballpark sound quality for alot less than the RS2. I still love the sound of my A55 but I am retiring soon and will finally have the time to enjoy my music and want the best sound experience for the price I can get. I don't think the A306 is worth $480 CDN with the volume cap and I have to believe the ZX507 would also sound better given the price difference new.

Feb 1, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #3,956 of 4,139
Normally I would be worried to but I currently have an A55 I bought used 18 months ago that I put the MrWalkman firmware on and it is still going strong. The ZX507 is being sold by a dealer in Japan so there is some protection. The A55 is alot older model than the ZX507 and Sony is known for having high quality batteries.

If I get an A306 I have to import from Japan to avoid the volume cap so no warranty anyway. At an $800+ discount over a new ZX507 the used ZX507 could be an amazing deal and still might be worth a shot.

I was looking for a really good sounding non-android DAP and right now the best sounding option is the Hiby RS2 which is a purist DAP with no bluetooth or wifi that uses an R2R resistor ladder in place of a DAC chip. Amazing sound quality but really expensive and not great for much else except for dual microsd slots. Looking also at the Hiby R3 II and Shanling M1S but clearly not in the same realm sound quality wise.

The ZX507 used strictly with the Sony Music App and all the google crap nullified as much as possible and no wifi would offer me same ballpark sound quality for alot less than the RS2. I still love the sound of my A55 but I am retiring soon and will finally have the time to enjoy my music and want the best sound experience for the price I can get. I don't think the A306 is worth $480 CDN with the volume cap and I have to believe the ZX507 would also sound better given the price difference new.
sounds like u already made ur decision

Feb 1, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #3,957 of 4,139
A queery that may have already been answered so apologise if it has but...

Why does Sony abide by the EU rules around volume limiters when other retailers are selling products with the same or simialr function with no volume limiters. Thinking all the Ibasso, Fiio, Hiby, Cayin etc etc that are sold in th eUK and throughout Europe with no limits on volume.

Feb 1, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #3,958 of 4,139
There is a new firmware available

Firmware Update to Version 2.01.00​

Benefits and Improvements​

• Fixes an issue where the Battery Care feature does not work
  • Provides a Security update (The security level displayed in the Settings menu will be as of December 2023)
Ah great, after factory reset of the previous firmware, it still charges to 100% with battery care. Finally, they fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back