New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Jan 9, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #3,916 of 4,177
Jan 9, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #3,917 of 4,177
not sure if this has always been a thing but tidal now shows you bitrates and file types of the songs playing

Screenshot_20240109-214602.png

Jan 9, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #3,918 of 4,177
Jan 11, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #3,919 of 4,177
Hi everyone! First time lurker here.

I just recently purchased a US NW-A306 after having a Japanese A55 for about 1.5 years, and I don't know whether to love it or hate it (leaning on love lol)

My setup is a B&W Px7 S2, Linsoul KZ ZS10 Pro, Apple USB-C to 3.5mm, and the headphones that came with the A55.

My biggest issue is using the Px7 via USB-C cable. Whenever I use the Walkman Music app, after giving it permission to use the B&W, any flac that has a sample rate of 44.1 or 88.2khz sound choppy and a bit faster, whereas 48 or 96khz sounds perfectly normal. Even the preloaded songs have the same issue. These headphones have a built in DAC if used via USB-C.

It works fine via BT and the USB-C to 3.5mm cable attached to Apple's USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. For some reason the B&W USB-C to 3.5mm sounds very low when plugged in to any device.

Enter UAPP. This app is amazing btw...

So the exact same issue happens with this app but if I turn on Upsample, it works like a charm and works with other apps like Spotify and Bandcamp. If I don't activate UAPP, other apps will have lower audio quality and volume.
Either way, I can't get the Walkman app to work with most of my songs.

Is there a setting I'm missing or are the B&W the issue here?

Also, I just want to say a huge thanks to everyone here for all the tips mentioned, such as how to debloat the OS, change the navigation buttons, minimize settings, and recommending the Niagara launcher and UAPP.

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #3,920 of 4,177

I just recently purchased a US NW-A306 after having a Japanese A55 for about 1.5 years, and I don't know whether to love it or hate it (leaning on love lol)

My setup is a B&W Px7 S2, Linsoul KZ ZS10 Pro, Apple USB-C to 3.5mm, and the headphones that came with the A55.

My biggest issue is using the Px7 via USB-C cable. Whenever I use the Walkman Music app, after giving it permission to use the B&W, any flac that has a sample rate of 44.1 or 88.2khz sound choppy and a bit faster, whereas 48 or 96khz sounds perfectly normal. Even the preloaded songs have the same issue. These headphones have a built in DAC if used via USB-C.

It works fine via BT and the USB-C to 3.5mm cable attached to Apple's USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. For some reason the B&W USB-C to 3.5mm sounds very low when plugged in to any device.

So the exact same issue happens with this app but if I turn on Upsample, it works like a charm and works with other apps like Spotify and Bandcamp. If I don't activate UAPP, other apps will have lower audio quality and volume.

Also, I just want to say a huge thanks to everyone here for all the tips mentioned, such as how to debloat the OS, change the navigation buttons, minimize settings, and recommending the Niagara launcher and UAPP.
reading this im not sure why you got the walkman?

Jan 11, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #3,921 of 4,177
I’m stupid but can you use this with an external usb c Dac dongle?

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #3,923 of 4,177

Given it works well with the USB-C ato 3.5mm adapter and it works when UAPP upscales, it looks like an issue with the Px7 DAC. Have you tried the USB cable in your computer in direct (WASAPI, ASIO) mode?

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #3,925 of 4,177
Hi all! First, I'm loving the a306! It rocks -- especially now that I am syncing it to Google Cloud using AutoSync to manage the library automatically. I followed the setup in this video and it works great to populate the Walkman with ease while charging. It uses Tasker from the Google Play store, which also is great to setup the Sony to automatically turn wifi on and off when using apps like apple music, spotify, google play, etc. Since I use Spotify and Apple Music as my pipeline to discover new music to add to the player, I created 3 playlists on each service 1-PLAY (For new tracks to consider) 2-ADD (for tracks I want to save to my player) and 3-SAVED (for tracks now on the player). Icons are attached. This makes it easy to source music from both services. Loving this little DAP!

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 15.55.29.png
Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 15.55.04.png

Attachments

• PLAY.png
    PLAY.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ADD.png
    ADD.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 0
  • SAVED.png
    SAVED.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #3,926 of 4,177
Just ordered a NW-A307 to pair with my TWS instead of using my phone.
The battery life should be better then my phone has, especially for longer trips.

Jan 15, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #3,927 of 4,177
How is the sound quality of xm5 tws with A306 compare to using xm5 tws with phone? Anybody any reviews please? I want to buy xm5 but need to make sure about this. Because Bluetooth has its own DACs and no contributions from the audio player you are using. Can we use A306 equalizer or DSEE Ultimate?

Jan 15, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #3,928 of 4,177
How is the sound quality of xm5 tws with A306 compare to using xm5 tws with phone? Anybody any reviews please? I want to buy xm5 but need to make sure about this. Because Bluetooth has its own DACs and no contributions from the audio player you are using. Can we use A306 equalizer or DSEE Ultimate?
Do you mean the WF-1000X M5? They always sound the same, no matter the source. But there are differences in the codec.

What phone? Android?

iOS does not support lossless audio codecs (LDAC, LHDC and so on), so if you compare the A300 Series to an iPhone, you will be able to hear an difference. But there will be no difference to an Android Phone.

The WF-1000X M5 are consumer oriented earphones. They key points are features and comfort, not sound quality. There are wired earphones for less than 50$ that easily beat the WF-1000X M5, so even if the A300 Series would have an advantage, you would not be able to hear it, as the earphone are just not good enough.

Jan 15, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #3,930 of 4,177
Do you mean the WF-1000X M5? They always sound the same, no matter the source. But there are differences in the codec.

What phone? Android?

iOS does not support lossless audio codecs (LDAC, LHDC and so on), so if you compare the A300 Series to an iPhone, you will be able to hear an difference. But there will be no difference to an Android Phone.

The WF-1000X M5 are consumer oriented earphones. They key points are features and comfort, not sound quality. There are wired earphones for less than 50$ that easily beat the WF-1000X M5, so even if the A300 Series would have an advantage, you would not be able to hear it, as the earphone are just not good enough.
Yeah Android phone I mean. Thanks for your reply. I got my queries cleared! I would rather invest in good IEM. Just that I wanted a wireless mode but again, I cant utilize A306's full potential

Users who are viewing this thread

Back