New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 1, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #3,961 of 4,139
Strange, it always worked fine for me
yeah, strange, have read previous posts, seems like only mine not working, keep charging to full 100% with battery care, quite worrying to shorten the battery live.

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #3,964 of 4,139
By the way, anyone knows how to get to the recovery mode for A306 with Android 13? I have tried with power button + Vol-, and other combinations, but to no avail.

Im just trying to do a factory reset from the recovery mode, seems some bugs cannot be fix thru regular factory reset.

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #3,965 of 4,139
By the way, anyone knows how to get to the recovery mode for A306 with Android 13? I have tried with power button + Vol-, and other combinations, but to no avail.

Im just trying to do a factory reset from the recovery mode, seems some bugs cannot be fix thru regular factory reset.
can you turn on developer mode and adb your way into recovery mode?

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #3,967 of 4,139
ah, maybe I will dig up some adb notes, hehe. Just hoping an easier way, last resort. :D

Turn the player on while keeping Vol+ pressed I think (if I remember correctly).

When you get into the recovery, hold power, press Vol+ once, then release power to show the normal recovery screen with all its options.

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #3,968 of 4,139
Turn the player on while keeping Vol+ pressed I think (if I remember correctly).

When you get into the recovery, hold power, press Vol+ once, then release power to show the normal recovery screen with all its options.
Have tried that too, doesn't work, it will stay at the Sony screen intermittently, when let go, it boot up normally as usual. I have even tried the ZX507 method with power + skip next and play buttons together, no avail too.

Tried with ZM2 with android 11, it works with power + Vol- buttons. Hmm, maybe android 13 or A306 has different configuration.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #3,969 of 4,139
Have tried that too, doesn't work, it will stay at the Sony screen intermittently, when let go, it boot up normally as usual. I have even tried the ZX507 method with power + skip next and play buttons together, no avail too.

Try Vol+ and Play at the same time, there is a certain combination for sure, I had the device for a while, or Vol+ and Skip.

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #3,970 of 4,139
Try Vol+ and Play at the same time, there is a certain combination for sure, I had the device for a while, or Vol+ and Skip.
Nope, Power + Vol+ and play do not work too. I even try power + Vol- and play. Think Sony has lock it this time.

Feb 1, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #3,971 of 4,139
I'm just initiating the update now - mine seemed to always charge to 100% with battery saver on.
I use Android phones but I'm new to Android for a dap, do any of the general Android optimization settings in that guide need to be set again after an update or should all those settings remain?

* post-update: my battery was about 74%, I connected to a charger for the process, after update it was charging up to 88% before I had to leave for work.

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #3,973 of 4,139
Used ZX507 for less than new A306

Does it make sense to pull the trigger on a used ZX507 if I can get it for $100 less than a new A306 about $360 CDN?

I really don't want an android DAP but at this price using it for local tracks only makes it worthwhile given it still sells for $1200 CDN new. Not worried at all about android version since I won't be using wifi or streaming.
Can you get hold of a ZX300? I owned one, then a 1A, now a 1Z. Having followed those threads for a few years, the ZX507 would be mentioned, and from memory, some owners rated it above the ZX300 for sound, but is pure Sony OS - this was pre-firmware mods.
I favour the Sony OS, but I wanted the small form for a daily dap, and the ease of USB-C to charge anywhere without having to carry extra cables.
There are people on the WM1A/1Z thread that have clocked 10,000+ hours on their players on the original battery and say they barely notice any loss of playback.

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #3,974 of 4,139
sounds like u already made ur decision
My only reservation is I have never owned a full android DAP before and not really sure how much stuff I can deactivate or remove. I have plowed through alot of the ZX500 and having very little android experience not sure I want to have to do all that work to get it stripped down to fit my needs and how much crap will still be left after.

Of course there is always the wife factor and any purchases need to addressed with her first.

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #3,975 of 4,139
Can you get hold of a ZX300? I owned one, then a 1A, now a 1Z. Having followed those threads for a few years, the ZX507 would be mentioned, and from memory, some owners rated it above the ZX300 for sound, but is pure Sony OS - this was pre-firmware mods.
I favour the Sony OS, but I wanted the small form for a daily dap, and the ease of USB-C to charge anywhere without having to carry extra cables.
There are people on the WM1A/1Z thread that have clocked 10,000+ hours on their players on the original battery and say they barely notice any loss of playback.
Actually I was looking at a used ZX300 and the used A55 I bought both with the MrWalkman firmware in mind. I nearly pulled the trigger on a ZX300 but users on this forum convinced it wasn't worth the extra money for the ZX300 so I got the A55. From a portability standpoint probably the better choice and I didn't need a balanced output.

I did considered a WM1A briefly but not portable at all which is my main use for a DAP.

My A55 is still working great so the other option is to stick with it and see what deals if any come up for the A306 around Black Friday this year. I am not above getting something used but the older the DAP the greater the chance it is heavily used and may not last that long. I could opt for a used A105 but it would probably not sound as good as the A55 with the custom firmware but less of a financial risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back