New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 20, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #2,342 of 4,119
So because it's random, you don't think it could be software? And you think Sony is lying? We don't know if it's a handful, it's only a handful of people here. There could be many people with the issue either using bassy iems or compensating with eq and thinking that's how it's supposed to be. There could be half or more, it's impossible to tell at this point.

Anyways like I said, whatever the problem Sony will have to take care of it.
that's a possibility but take the WF-1000XM4 as example. They released "new ones" coming from factory with firmware 1.5.x (if I remember correctly) but all the ones that came earlier had a battery issue. Rather than issuing a notice to replace the affected by abnormal battery performance for all owners of certain version of WF-1000XM4, it was left to owner to contact support and try to arrange an RMA which in occasions wasn't easy or even done for free. Just to taking an example of RMA and notices well done, I think they should have done like Garmin did for some watches, they allowed you to enter the serial number and if it matched they would replace it, easy, no pain!. That is if there is a hardware issue which as mentioned nobody knows for certain

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #2,343 of 4,119
So because it's random, you don't think it could be software? And you think Sony is lying? We don't know if it's a handful, it's only a handful of people here. There could be many people with the issue either using bassy iems or compensating with eq and thinking that's how it's supposed to be. There could be half or more, it's impossible to tell at this point.

Anyways like I said, whatever the problem Sony will have to take care of it.

If the A306 is anything like the A100/ZX500, there are 7 different firmwares by region or features that have to be prepared for an update to roll out. I believe it's been ~5 days since Sony communicated that are working on a fix (although maybe they already knew). I agree with @abitdeef that they were likely already working on a post release OTA. For the A100/ZX500 there were numerous patches released, including new features such as high resolution streaming, DSEE Ultimate and 360 Reality Audio in addition to security updates.

I wouldn't expect a formal "public announcement" of the flaw, but who knows?

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #2,344 of 4,119
Well, I have my wf-xm4 replaced with new one last month, i did recall they did issue an informal written notice in their firmware update trying to fix the battery issue by saying if the battery life falls below certain hrs with dsee disabled, then pls contact the support. That's what trigger my suspicion and sent it to service centre after few weeks of confirming. I have check with the service centre, they only do free replacement under warranty period, mine is still covered, lucky me. Anyone looking for wf-xm4, pls wait, wf-xm5 is coming out soon, maybe this May.

Look out for the update notes in their next firmware update. I used mine mainly with bluetooth to wf-xm4, sounds fine.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #2,345 of 4,119
Question regarding volume capping in EU/UK

Is there a way to measure this or is the capping referring merely to any possible warning when increasing the volume?

How does this audio capping manifest?

I'm asking because the UK version I have doesn't display any warning (visual or otherwise) when increasing the volume to 120 and leaving it there for several days, is there a way to check the volume capping?

Is there any other difference in comparison to the Japanese version?
Thanks

All have a volume range of 120 volume steps. Typically if you like the volume at 50/120 on an uncapped Japanese one the same volume output on a US/UK/EU one would need top be ~70/120.

If you have a more demanding IEM then with an uncapped one you may be at 110/120 while with the capped one it would max out at 120/120 and still not be loud enough.

Saying that, all three of my IEM's should still be loud enough on a capped version.
  • My Shure SE846 at 55/120 would need to be at 75/120
  • My Fiio FD7 at 75/120 would need to be at 95/120
  • My Sony IER-M9 at 85/120 would need to be at 105/120
The un-capped ones let you turn the AVLS nagging and volume drop down totally off, the capped ones don't.

Some owners think the capped ones also lack 'life' and have a veil. That was certainly the case for me with a UK A105 & ZX507 vs a Japanese one, but this time I didn't even bother to try a UK one and went straight to import one from Japan.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #2,346 of 4,119
Uh, just asking, have anyone with issue of bass with their unit try going more than 200 hrs with the 3.5mm output?

Mar 20, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #2,347 of 4,119
The is no UK Version, there is an EU Version.

And like the WM1 and ZX, also the A-Series is capped.

You can check it by enabling AVLS, at what volume does the AVLS lock you?

There is, you can see the UK CA in addition to CE

And a Sony UK address.

1679318226957.png

Certainly not a pro review :smile: (only using with BT headphones)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #2,349 of 4,119
Does the Hong Kong Walkman 306 version have an audio Cap {Volume Limitation} ? Accessoryjack could or would not give me a definitive answer told me to read the manual , HA HA
"Regarding the SONY A306 DAP - Volume Limitation issue, please refer to the SONY Hong Kong user guide for more details. We suggest you read it to make sure that the feature is what you are looking for."

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #2,351 of 4,119
Does the Hong Kong Walkman 306 version have an audio Cap? Accessoryjack could or would not give me a definitive answer told me to read the manual , HA HA
"Regarding the SONY A306 DAP - Volume Limitation issue, please refer to the SONY Hong Kong user guide for more details. We suggest you read it to make sure that the feature is what you are looking for."
Mine does not have the cap, it scales to 120 (not required) as it is excruciating loud with my IEMS, .

Mar 20, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #2,353 of 4,119
Why would it make any difference? 2 hours or 20000 hours, if it's a software issue (which was basically confirmed by Sony as i understand it), result will be the same.
O, well, i know im shooting myself in the feet by asking this, lol. Im a early adopter of the M2 walkman with the first firmware too, and i notice sound swings during the burn-in period of the 4.4mm output. Actually i do encounter very weak bass and strong bass period too with the M2 walkman, just a short while though.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #2,354 of 4,119
Do you have the bass issue? What's your serial number?(can remove last 2)

I also have the UK version. I haven't seen the EU version but I guess they wouldn't be happy adding the UK letters there after all that we have been through 😅
Photo isn't mine, I just went looking for a UK picture.

Mines an import from Amazon Japan and already on list in this thread and tested as perfect (fortunately)

Mar 20, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #2,355 of 4,119
O, well, i know im shooting myself in the feet by asking this, lol. Im a early adopter of the M2 walkman with the first firmware too, and i notice sound swings during the burn-in period. Actually i do encounter very weak bass and strong bass period too with the M2 walkman, just a short while though.
The A300 series doesn't have the same capacitors that higher end Sony DAP's do, and don't supposedly need burn in. You don't even get a warning message like you do with the ZX/WM ranges which advise 200hrs burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back