New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 18, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #2,311 of 4,134
Night and day? Lol that sounds like the capped one I had with the bass problem. He's doing the best thing, he's going to try them himself. Not saying they don't sound better or different, but I've never had any night and day experiences in daps. Not with stuff relatively easy to drive. The closest was tube amps and r2r, but I wouldn't call them night and day just distinctly different sounding. But most daps sound similar to me unless ones got more power and the iems/cans need it. The capped one that was maybe defective, yes that sounded weak.
Night and day sound wise is the feeling i got when i compare my bass problem 306 vs the ifi gryphon and Ru6. Gonna try the 707 tommorrow.

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #2,312 of 4,134
Night and day? Lol that sounds like the capped one I had with the bass problem. He's doing the best thing, he's going to try them himself. Not saying they don't sound better or different, but I've never had any night and day experiences in daps. Not with stuff relatively easy to drive. The closest was tube amps and r2r, but I wouldn't call them night and day just distinctly different sounding. But most daps sound similar to me unless ones got more power and the iems/cans need it. The capped one that was maybe defective, yes that sounded weak.
And that's why it's all subjective. Opinions will always very.

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #2,313 of 4,134
Night and day sound wise is the feeling i got when i compare my bass problem 306 vs the ifi gryphon and Ru6. Gonna try the 707 tommorrow.

No kidding, your talking about -10 db cut in the lower frequencies. Anything with a normal frequency response is going to sound much better. That's (night and day) expected when your comparing Apples (defective items) to oranges- items that are working normally.

Maybe he's got a defective one, that's what I was alluding to. I doubt many would be able to tell different sources properly volume matched with no dsp on the same iems. In a blind test. Even the cheapest dongles today have stellar audio performance. Just daps usually have better output sections, amping, caps, and more power available. Things are colored somewhat, sometimes because pure neutral can be a bit boring with some gear. But usually it's not excessive. Everybody hears things different and we all have bias. So really all you can do is listen for yourself and if you care you can check measurements for many daps and dongles. It doesn't really determine sound quality but at least you know how the circuit is performing and how much Imd is present and how clean the output should be under a minimal load. Or sometimes measured under a normal load and FR of cans or earphones, iems. Plus jitter and other factors. Alot of this stuff is inaudible especially in super high or low measurements, and is just bragging rights and feel good specs.

But you'll find that stuff that measures poorly often is wildly popular and praised. And stuff that measures highly sometimes is too neutral or flat for users. Especially depending on what gear they're using to listen with - iems, headphones.

Best bet, listen for yourself. Take all this with a grain of salt.

Mar 19, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #2,315 of 4,134
Came to a fantastic Shop in Seoul today called Scheherazade and tried the A306. The first unit was considerably different sounding compared to the demo unit. The new one had no bass and the volume was lower. The guys had no issue to get me a second one which sounded exactly like the one they had in demo. Really nice player and I was open for any of the new players but after using them side by side I picked the small one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Mar 19, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #2,317 of 4,134
Mar 19, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #2,318 of 4,134
As some one who owns both, it all comes ...The difference between the 306 and 707 with my Cascades and Mammoths is night and day. The sound stage, bass and overall audio performance of the 707 is better.

Glad for you, but I've come down from WM models to the A307 and over 3.5mm certainly not night & day for me, and mostly agree with abitdeef. Thats assuming the ZX700 series isn't audibly better than the WM models and driving easy drive IEMs.

Not commenting on 4.4mm balanced though.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #2,319 of 4,134
Came to a fantastic Shop in Seoul today called Scheherazade and tried the A306. The first unit was considerably different sounding compared to the demo unit. The new one had no bass and the volume was lower. The guys had no issue to get me a second one which sounded exactly like the one they had in demo. Really nice player and I was open for any of the new players but after using them side by side I picked the small one.
Did they have the 307 for sale

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #2,321 of 4,134
wait what's the difference between the 306 and 307? is that just a typo?

Mar 19, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #2,324 of 4,134
Question regarding volume capping in EU/UK

Is there a way to measure this or is the capping referring merely to any possible warning when increasing the volume?

How does this audio capping manifest?

I'm asking because the UK version I have doesn't display any warning (visual or otherwise) when increasing the volume to 120 and leaving it there for several days, is there a way to check the volume capping?

Is there any other difference in comparison to the Japanese version?
Thanks

Mar 19, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #2,325 of 4,134
Do you have a source for this? Last I heard what that this was from a more informal phone conversation and they put nothing in writing. Until it's in writing it means nothing.
I asked the same but apart from the message here I haven't seen it anywhere.

Btw willmono7 I've sent you some questions via PM regarding the version in particular that you bought, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back