New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 15, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #2,251 of 4,121
I never import apps and settings when I set up a new device. It doesn't seem likely that it makes a difference in sound, but who knows? Clearly something is causing the variation in devices. I reset my A306 a few times trying different things and even set it up in Japanese and nothing made a difference for me. It's kind of an interesting puzzle but for now I'm waiting for the firmware fix. At least I learned how to use REW and Audacity as part of this experience, something I have been wanting to do for a while.
Did you have the issue every time? I'm thinking that it might be a hidden setting that interacts with the firmware.
I never import apps and settings when I set up a new device. It doesn't seem likely that it makes a difference in sound, but who knows? Clearly something is causing the variation in devices. I reset my A306 a few times trying different things and even set it up in Japanese and nothing made a difference for me. It's kind of an interesting puzzle but for now I'm waiting for the firmware fix. At least I learned how to use REW and Audacity as part of this experience, something I have been wanting to do for a while.
So I have a potentially interesting development, to do a controlled test I decided to first start by doing the bare minimum at setup, I signed into the wifi and that was it, and I must say, it sounds excellent so far with ample bass..... the device is yet to finish "setting up" I'm very worried that it might not sound so great soon. I remembered someone in either this thread but a few weeks ago or the other one on the sony page saying their device sounded great to start wit hand then changed. I thought that maybe they had just not quite noticed it at first but having heard what I've heard now, I think the issue might stem from the set-up process

update: yup, the "finishing thing up" finished and it's now crap again.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #2,252 of 4,121
It's a nice dap, I had one, that's a very good price. Lots of power, great screen, and fast. Very good wide open sound, plus upgradable amp cards, well interchangeable. 😀 Mine was green which is always a plus in my books. If you don't mind a bigger dap it's excellent. The newer ibasso stuff is really nice. Actually cayin, hiby, and ibasso all make solid stuff.
iBasso is definitely high “bang for buck”. I love my DX320, but it’s twice as thick and wider than my iPhone 14 pro max. It’s a dang brick. It’s 90% function/10% style.

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #2,253 of 4,121
Did you have the issue every time? I'm thinking that it might be a hidden setting that interacts with the firmware.

So I have a potentially interesting development, to do a controlled test I decided to first start by doing the bare minimum at setup, I signed into the wifi and that was it, and I must say, it sounds excellent so far with ample bass..... the device is yet to finish "setting up" I'm very worried that it might not sound so great soon. I remembered someone in either this thread but a few weeks ago or the other one on the sony page saying their device sounded great to start wit hand then changed. I thought that maybe they had just not quite noticed it at first but having heard what I've heard now, I think the issue might stem from the set-up process

update: yup, the "finishing thing up" finished and it's now crap again.
Greets from the other forums willmono7 -
I also wondered about the setup process, glad you added on the Sony thread.

FWIW, recently received Japanese A306 10008xx- no apparent bass issue, though I haven't proven using REW (mostly comparing some well known tracks using B&W P5 on A306 vs iPhone 4s). They sound more/less the same.

I set up A306 out of the box using Japanese language and google translate to get through the obligatory steps. After that, changed language to English. Put in microSD. Haven't connected to USB, no account login, no play store, not online until this dust settles.

if you do a factory reset, it could be very telling...

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #2,254 of 4,121
Greets from the other forums willmono7 -
I also wondered about the setup process, glad you added on the Sony thread.

FWIW, recently received Japanese A306 10008xx- no apparent bass issue, though I haven't proven using REW (mostly comparing some well known tracks using B&W P5 on A306 vs iPhone 4s). They sound more/less the same.

I set up A306 out of the box using Japanese language and google translate to get through the obligatory steps. After that, changed language to English. Put in microSD. Haven't connected to USB, no account login, no play store, not online until this dust settles.

if you do a factory reset, it could be very telling...

Interesting....I just sent my Japan NW-A306 back to Japan 2 hrs before it became public Sony has a "fix". :frowning2: When I initially went through the setup I skipped adding an account but I did chose "English" as the language. I always wondered if I set the language up as "Japanese" if the issue would have manifested itself. Is there a chance it wouldn't?? I even thought of doing a reset and setting up in "Japanese" to see if the bass issue would "go away" but I was afraid I would not be able to navigate or even put it back to the English language. lol

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #2,255 of 4,121
Do you guys think the a306 would be a big upgrade to the Hiby r3 pro? Im on the verge of pulling the trigger but im still kind of unsure If this will be worth the money in terms of performance gain. Thank you in advance!

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #2,257 of 4,121
Upgrade in what way? The only reason i would pick a306 over R3 Pro is if you need android.
Since i'm mostly listening to the local files, R3 Pro is faster and easier to use.
In terms of sound performance i guess. The A300 series uses an Full Digital Amp with Panasonic POSCAP Capacitors while the R3 uses an Analog Amp with cheap capacitors.

Also the R3 does have an 3.5mm channel Separation of 68db which is one of the worst i have ever seen. It is so low, that it is audible with several songs. Even the 86db Channel Sepeartion of the balanced output is lower than the 3.5mm of the A300

So not just the fact it is Analog vs Digital but the fact that the R3 isn't good to beign with makes the A300 an upgrade in terms of sound

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #2,258 of 4,121
So not just the fact it is Analog vs Digital but the fact that the R3 isn't good to beign with makes the A300 an upgrade in terms of sound
R3 Pro does sound dead to me with IER-M9, so A306+M9 is better for sure. Still not as good as R3+mojo2+M9 though.
At the same time (and after some Hiby MSEB magic) i prefer the sound of R3 Pro with my Westone Mach 70.
I suspect westones get more messed up by the high output impedance of A306, or maybe i just couldn't replicate the same EQ settings.

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #2,259 of 4,121
I do when going from main Samsung phone to next Samsung phone, but never with a DAP. Only ever want one or two music streaming services on it anyway as never use as a general Android device.

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #2,260 of 4,121
iBasso is definitely high “bang for buck”. I love my DX320, but it’s twice as thick and wider than my iPhone 14 pro max. It’s a dang brick. It’s 90% function/10% style.
The WM1ZM2 was beautifully made, but at near 500g weight and vast price difference compared to near identical WM1AM2, it went back within the 1 month return window. Audio fidelity may be fractionally less with my A307 but size/weight make it much more useable as a portable player and this time the Android experience is plenty fast enough too and great battery life for such a tiny Android player which I needed. Plus as I only use IEM's the power of the uncapped A307 is plenty for me and can live without true balanced (2.5mm or 4.4mm) when the 3.5mm is done so well.

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #2,261 of 4,121
Interesting....I just sent my Japan NW-A306 back to Japan 2 hrs before it became public Sony has a "fix". :frowning2: When I initially went through the setup I skipped adding an account but I did chose "English" as the language. I always wondered if I set the language up as "Japanese" if the issue would have manifested itself. Is there a chance it wouldn't?? I even thought of doing a reset and setting up in "Japanese" to see if the bass issue would "go away" but I was afraid I would not be able to navigate or even put it back to the English language. lol
Sorry as you might have mentioned it but where did you order your 306 from in Japan? I know you sent it back but I guess you're going to reorder at some point. Regards Graham

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #2,262 of 4,121
Do you guys think the a306 would be a big upgrade to the Hiby r3 pro? Im on the verge of pulling the trigger but im still kind of unsure If this will be worth the money in terms of performance gain. Thank you in advance!

R3 pro's tuning is rather plain to me, A306 on the other hand, is warmer, brighter with better highs, providing enough bass and sub-bass. Female vocals and pops sounds also better with A306 imho, 3.5mm SQ is simply better than R3 Pro. Despite the bass issue, Sony did make a huge efforts on refining the A306 sounds. I think its SQ can match to those mid level DAP nowadays, even compared to its own ZX707. I've been AB A306 and ZX707 quite some times while travelling Japan, and decided to bring the A306 back.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #2,263 of 4,121
R3 pro's tuning is rather plain to me, A306 on the hand, is warmer, brighter with better highs, providing enough bass and sub-bass. Female vocals and pops sounds aslo better with A306 imho, 3.5mm SQ is simply better than R3 Pro. Despite the bass issue, Sony did make a huge improvements on refining the A306 sounds. I think its SQ can match to those mid level DAP nowadays, even compared to its own ZX707. I've been AB A306 and ZX707 quite some times while travelling Japan, and decided to bring the A306 back.
Before my A307 I also had the A105 & ZX507 and even then I thought the A105 sounded better out of its 3.5mm port than the ZX507's 3.5mm port. ZX507 was best out of its 4.4mm port.

A series only has 3.5mm port so Sony can concentrate on part selection & tuning to get that perfect, while priority may be on the balanced ports with ZX range.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #2,265 of 4,121
The sound performance of R3 Pro using balanced Output is very Good. It is a Good DAP for local files.

You may want an upgrade if:
  1. You want an Android device
  2. You want better performance via SE output
Hiby is rather neutral DAP. Some may Say it is boring or dead sound, but truth sometimes may be harsh :)
I own R3 Pro and Shanling M3X and despite the better performance of Hiby i prefer using Shanling with PowerAmp installed and customised Launcher + M3X provides super battery life for DAP with Android. Additionally 4.4 mm Output is nice in terms of durability.

BUT - if you want a neutral small DAP for local files you already own it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back