New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 15, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #2,236 of 4,129
I saw your post on the Sony page 😀 This is as we both figured, software f up. Good news, now everyone will will able to enjoy the deep bass.

No more, you're basses belongs to us 😉

Many thanks 😊 wouldn't it be funny if after the update people complain about not enough treble and too much bass? Where did my super mids and trebles go ????

Ha ha.
So long as firmware fix doesn't boost those of us with good ones +10dB ! Going to wait for other to "test" first :wink:

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #2,237 of 4,129
I also have an R3 Pro (Cirrus) and actually use it quite a bit. The Sony is, of course, more flexible with full Android and all streaming services (and better wifi). Both are nice and pocketable.
I also had a Hiby R3 Pro and great little DAP if you don't need streaming and can cope with its funky text input. The Hiby R5GII would have been perfect (great ECO battery life) if they put at least Android 10 on it instead of 8.1.

Mar 15, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #2,238 of 4,129
I also had a Hiby R3 Pro and great little DAP if you don't need streaming and can cope with its funky text input. The Hiby R5GII would have been perfect (great ECO battery life) if they put at least Android 10 on it instead of 8.1.

I had the first hiby r3 with the one ess chip. The pro was a nice upgrade, it sounded very smooth. They are nice little daps, wifi and BT can be spotty and the scrolling could lag. Like I said I wished they updated to the next ingenic chip like shanling did with the m1s. But that launch is weird, I also wish they kept the form factor of the previous R5.

The next Gen r5 is too big for me 😀

Mar 15, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #2,240 of 4,129
Interesting, I thought the A series in Japan do support high-gain including this one. I think the cap is for US, UK and EU. 🤔
Cap still exists for those Regions but I've had Japanese A105 and now A307 and they don't have high-gain.

Mar 15, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #2,242 of 4,129
The only high gain they have is if you smoke a spliff before listening. 😀
Never had one, just booze and not even that for decades 🤪

High gain in blood pressure for all the spending on audio gear!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #2,243 of 4,129
I had the first hiby r3 with the one ess chip. The pro was a nice upgrade, it sounded very smooth. They are nice little daps, wifi and BT can be spotty and the scrolling could lag. Like I said I wished they updated to the next ingenic chip like shanling did with the m1s. But that launch is weird, I also wish they kept the form factor of the previous R5.

The next Gen r5 is too big for me 😀

What happened to your P6k, or were you just trying one out?

Mar 15, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #2,248 of 4,129
" killing Sense me channels that i was using a lot and made walkmans really special music machines for me .

4- Volume capping every walkman now except asian ones .. and it is such a savage capping without even notifying the consumer . That alone makes Sony sound thing becomes more and more irrelevant to me 😔"

Lost faith in Sony ," Volume Cap!!!" , I will never buy a SONY Volume Capped DAP
"move on and consider Walkmans as a part from a beautiful past 😔"

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #2,249 of 4,129
I was talking with someone on a different forum about the potential causes in firmware/software variation between the functional and defective devices (rlw6534 , I believe they're also active in this thread). They mentioned that there were different firmware variants for devices depending on the play store and apps loaded on the device. It got me thinking, I had two devices, both were defectince, one i factory reset and was still defective, but for all of these devices, when doing the initial setup, when asked if I wanted to import settings and apps from my previous phone (the device assuming that it's a new phone) I said no, as I don't case for any of the phone like features. Would it be possible that the varients of firmware can be changed by chosing to import previous device settings?

I was thinking that maybe those with defective devices may be those that chose not to import previous device settings and apps? I'm not too knowledgeable on these things though, is this a reasonable possibility? I've got my device ready to ship off for repairs, but I'm tempted to unpack it and do the set-up again, this time going to the alternate route. can anyone here comment on which set-up route they took and whether they did or didn't have the defect?

Mar 15, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #2,250 of 4,129
I never import apps and settings when I set up a new device. It doesn't seem likely that it makes a difference in sound, but who knows? Clearly something is causing the variation in devices. I reset my A306 a few times trying different things and even set it up in Japanese and nothing made a difference for me. It's kind of an interesting puzzle but for now I'm waiting for the firmware fix. At least I learned how to use REW and Audacity as part of this experience, something I have been wanting to do for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back