New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 16, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #2,266 of 4,139
The sound performance of R3 Pro using balanced Output is very Good. It is a Good DAP for local files.

You may want an upgrade if:
  1. You want an Android device
  2. You want better performance via SE output
Hiby is rather neutral DAP. Some may Say it is boring or dead sound, but truth sometimes may be harsh :)
I own R3 Pro and Shanling M3X and despite the better performance of Hiby i prefer using Shanling with PowerAmp installed and customised Launcher + M3X provides super battery life for DAP with Android. Additionally 4.4 mm Output is nice in terms of durability.

BUT - if you want a neutral small DAP for local files you already own it.
When you say “better” performance of the Hiby what do you mean? You think it sounds superior?

Mar 16, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #2,267 of 4,139
Hiby is rather neutral DAP. Some may Say it is boring or dead sound, but truth sometimes may be harsh :)
LOL
In the end it's just a cheap DAP, and it sounds like it, which isn't bad, but barely an improvement over the cheapest dongle.
mojo2 is neutral, but never dead or boring

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #2,268 of 4,139
LOL
In the end it's just a cheap DAP, and it sounds like it, which isn't bad, but barely an improvement over the cheapest dongle.
Interesting.

How would you view the A300 series to the Mojo2 ?

Mar 16, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #2,270 of 4,139
Interesting.

The Mojo2 is an portable amp and the A300 is an DAP.

It is possible to compare the Mojo2 to an WM1 Series or maybe... but only when using 4.4mm, to an ZX-Series but not to an A-Series DAP.

Especially not given the price difference.

Mar 16, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #2,271 of 4,139
What sounds better is always subjective to the listener 😉 I liked hiby sabre more than hiby pro. But I can see some people liking the more polite sound of the pro.

The only thing I noticed about $$$ daps is power output mostly. Maybe a little better crosstalk rejection. Unless it's something like nutube, r2r, or something with a sound sig that sticks out like Sony brick Z1. Too neutral can sound boring to me, but 'cheap' daps can be really good. Oh and you do get nicer build quality usually with more $ daps. In my experience price doesn't always determine sound quality and I hate the term Flagship or top tier. I know specs don't determine sound, but some cheap dongles rival $$$ daps in specs, except power output.

I think the Sony ia306 s a nice balance of good design and performance. I'm sure it's specs aren't class leading but it sounds very good. You have to get what floats your boat 😉

Mar 16, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #2,272 of 4,139
The Mojo2 is an portable amp and the A300 is an DAP.

It is possible to compare the Mojo2 to an WM1 Series or maybe... but only when using 4.4mm, to an ZX-Series but not to an A-Series DAP.

Especially not given the price difference.

This is the point, the mojo 2 has tons more output power and is going to sound better/fuller more vibrant on a lot of headphones. But for lots the Sony will be fine, as you said before. Despite the lower output power the quality is very high to my ears and it's truly a portable dap- with full Android no less.

To totally different things for different purposes.

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #2,273 of 4,139
When you say “better” performance of the Hiby what do you mean? You think it sounds superior?
SE output in R3 Pro lacks dynamics in comparison with its BAL output. Balanced R3 Pro is more linearne than M3X IMO, but the differences May be small, deoends on headphones ale music listened.
LOL
How do you define "boring" sound?
Possibly Mojo provides cleaner output with lower harmonics. R3 probably is worse in technica aspect, but I did not test Mojo.
I do not praise Hiby, I actually want to sell it despite better sound than Shanling M3X. My opinion is that with Sony you can get more upgrade in terms of usage, streaming and all Android stuff than sound itself. I think I would go gigher than Sony A300 to get definitely better sound.

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #2,275 of 4,139
A306 is lively and fun, but mojo2 sounds like a higher level source to me. More transparent, more detailed, it's neutral yet engaging, and i just enjoy the same music more with it.

It's a cheap(ish) DAP that sounds worse than cheaper DAPs made by Shanling.
I still have M0, and had Q1 from Shanling until the battery has died. To me, the difference between all of them (M0, Q1, R3 Pro) wasn't big, but if i have to pick one, i think i liked the sound from Q1 the most.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #2,276 of 4,139
Does the Volume Cap on the Sony 306 and 307 Affect Bluetooth as Well ?? I assume BT is Capped as Well and a volume warning ???
Thats not possible. When you listen using Bluetooth, you are sending the Sound to the Heapdhone and this is doing the amplification and so on.

So the Walkman has no influence on how loud your headphones play, so there is no cap

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #2,277 of 4,139
Thats not possible. When you listen using Bluetooth, you are sending the Sound to the Heapdhone and this is doing the amplification and so on.

So the Walkman has no influence on how loud your headphones play, so there is no cap
Thanks for the reply , if I decide to buy the Sony Capped 306 or 307 i will use only Sony XM5 BT headphones No cable or my IER-Z1R headphones
, I have a Sony WM1A M2 its to large and heavy for everyday use I use my Sony 105 everyday I like what the 105 does to album cover art and the sound of the Sony 105 is pretty good in direct mode ,

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #2,278 of 4,139
Thanks for the reply , if I decide to buy the Sony Capped 306 or 307 i will use only Sony XM5 BT headphones , i have a Sony WM1A M2 its to large for everyday use
I use my WM1ZM2 everyday, just get a better belt :D

Mar 16, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #2,279 of 4,139
A306 is lively and fun, but mojo2 sounds like a higher level source to me. More transparent, more detailed, it's neutral yet engaging, and i just enjoy the same music more with it.

I still have M0, and had Q1 from Shanling until the battery has died. To me, the difference between all of them (M0, Q1, R3 Pro) wasn't big, but if i have to pick one, i think i liked the sound from Q1 the most.
I much prefer the m0 pro and the q1 to the r3 pro saber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back