New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 1, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #1,576 of 4,129
Just finished measuring. Keep in mind that I had to use my Audio Interface and the Sony at almost 100% to get close to the -12 (was -12,21). Looks relatively flat to me. Wonder if the weirdness in the higher frequencies (and maybe even the slight drop in the lows) is due to the audio interface.
Screenshot 2023-03-01 220211.png

Now I will finally start listening :)
(Grey NW-A306 from amazon.de Model YY1301B1, let me know if you need anything else :))

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #1,577 of 4,129
Just finished measuring. Keep in mind that I had to use my Audio Interface and the Sony at almost 100% to get close to the -12 (was -12,21). Looks relatively flat to me. Wonder if the weirdness in the higher frequencies (and maybe even the slight drop in the lows) is due to the audio interface.
Screenshot 2023-03-01 220211.png
Now I will finally start listening :)
(Grey NW-A306 from amazon.de Model YY1301B1, let me know if you need anything else :))

Looks good!

Mar 1, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #1,578 of 4,129
so does anyone use this for streaming, specifically tidal? What's the performance like?
Tidal streams just fine with the a306. As well as MQA songs. I will say If you are going to stream hi-res music through an app AND send it over Bluetooth hi-res LDAC at the same time you might get some cutouts and drops in connection. That has happened to me a couple times. Luckily I have all my music stored on sd card and don’t use Bluetooth if I’m streaming.

Mar 1, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #1,579 of 4,129
Tidal streams just fine with the a306. As well as MQA songs. I will say If you are going to stream hi-res music through an app AND send it over Bluetooth hi-res LDAC at the same time you might get some cutouts and drops in connection. That has happened to me a couple times. Luckily I have all my music stored on sd card and don’t use Bluetooth if I’m streaming.
ok thank you. you don't use chromecast do you? i currently have a dx170 and it annoys me it doesnt work natively. im curious if the sony does?

Mar 1, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #1,581 of 4,129
Ah gotcha.
I thought it sounded good with the A306 before the ear piece fell apart, but I was told by others it wasn't. 🤔

Always sounded great while I was drumming.
Ignore what others say. What sounds good to you is all that matters.

Mar 1, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #1,582 of 4,129
Roon Arc works fairly well, but until Roon add the capability, you can't save files to the SD card (same as all DAPs) and performance is a little sluggish due to their poorly optimised code. FWIW, PlexAmp is currently much better for both functionality and performance if you are happy to try an alternative. Roon may get there one day but they've a lot of work to catch up.
I'll be buying this DAP in the coming weeks & plan to use PlexAmp on mine.

Mar 2, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #1,583 of 4,129
1677736567134.png

I found an information that the 4-pole 3.5mm jack on A300 works with even a normal 3-pole plug

Mar 2, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #1,584 of 4,129
I tested these headphones thus far...
...IEMs: IE200, Fender FXA2 (god I love and hate these. Sound is probably one of my fav IEMs I own, but the fit... ugh), Moondrop Aria, Tin Hifi T2
all IEMs tested at 43%, which on any on them is louder than I would normally listen to tbh. I just slowly inched the loudness lower last night, till I reach a comfortable level, which was at 30-35 I think.
Might be placebo, but I feel like all of them, except for the Tin Hifi T2, sound "cleaner" for a lack of better word than on the Shanling M1 (not that the Shanling was bad, it wasn't). Especially Drums feel more vibrant (once again, might be placebo, lol). The Tin Hifi T2 sounded a bit muddy. Granted I haven't used that one in quite some time, but while most of it sounded good (instruments sound fine), voices sounded like they were in a haze.

Headphones: Sennheiser HD599
Tested at 80%. Very much listenable!!! Obviously I got the warning going past 50%, but once that was dealt with, they sound amazing! Like literally nothing is missing. And I still have some headroom. Didn't find anything lacking compared to the Shanling M1 here. Bass seems good as well :) Listening to Lost by Linkin Park (from Spotify) with these was a blast. Then I listened to my High Res copy of Limits by Citizen Soldier, andddd still good. Actually felt to loud at 80 😂 (comfort level is 67 rn) is the Walkman App louder then Spotify? Feels like it

Bluetooth headphones will follow (Sennheiser PXC550, Samsung galaxy buds live)

If you have questions about anything in particular, ask right away. Can go back and test certain things/songs if wanted

Having an absolute blast with the A306 so far (which makes me feel worse for that whole bass issue that some are experiencing :frowning2:)

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #1,585 of 4,129
Today I received an A306 from Bic Camera (via buyee) which does not have the bass issue, confirmed via REW. It sounds dramatically better, and tests perfectly flat.

The only issue is that the screen has several stuck pixels that persist even through multiple reboots and runs of a pixel refresher. Sigh. I guess I'll be sending both of my units back to Japan until this whole mess is sorted out.
dead pixels are very common on Sony players. I have one on each ZX2, AM2.. i just take it on the chin and keep rollin'

Mar 2, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #1,586 of 4,129
An update in my A306.
As my old Shure SE425s died less than 24 hours after receiving my A306 I've had to use either my Bose Quiet Comfort 15 or old Sony MDR-7506 headphones with the latter having the better sound.

However, while warmer and a truer sound, the clarity wasn't there as I'd like while the volume also needed to be at 80-90/120.

My new (bargain used once) SE425s arrived today and I was looking forward to a full day of revelling in the A306's soundscapes.

Instead I have reverted to my initial first day reaction that I believe mine has the bass issue. 🫤

Sure (no pun intended) I could be hearing deficiencies in the Shure 425s, but even with the EQ on and set as below, there is little bass in tracks that should have a fat / warm bass & drums.

PXL_20230302_102520403.PORTRAIT~2_copy_907x1612.jpg

Without the EQ, with these in-ears at least, while it has a phenomenal stereo soundscape, it sounds lifeless with no bottom end punch.

I want to try other headphones when I get to the US next week, but while I love the A306, I'm disappointed today.

One additional issue (perhaps a normal common thing?) Twice when I have turned the A306 on and after the SD card icon has appeared, it has failed to find any tracks, saying no tracks found (or words to that affect.)

I've tried to take a photo of this, but have never been quick enough and at the second attempt, the tracks have appeared. Perhaps a normal lag, no idea as it's my first such unit coming from an iPod user for a few decades.

What say you?

Mar 2, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #1,587 of 4,129
An update in my A306.
As my old Shure SE425s died less than 24 hours after receiving my A306 I've had to use either my Bose Quiet Comfort 15 or old Sony MDR-7506 headphones with the latter having the better sound.

However, while warmer and a truer sound, the clarity wasn't there as I'd like while the volume also needed to be at 80-90/120.

My new (bargain used once) SE425s arrived today and I was looking forward to a full day of revelling in the A306's soundscapes.

Instead I have reverted to my initial first day reaction that I believe mine has the bass issue. 🫤

Sure (no pun intended) I could be hearing deficiencies in the Shure 425s, but even with the EQ on and set as below, there is little bass in tracks that should have a fat / warm bass & drums.

Without the EQ, with these in-ears at least, while it has a phenomenal stereo soundscape, it sounds lifeless with no bottom end punch.

I want to try other headphones when I get to the US next week, but while I love the A306, I'm disappointed today.

One additional issue (perhaps a normal common thing?) Twice when I have turned the A306 on and after the SD card icon has appeared, it has failed to find any tracks, saying no tracks found (or words to that affect.)

I've tried to take a photo of this, but have never been quick enough and at the second attempt, the tracks have appeared. Perhaps a normal lag, no idea as it's my first such unit coming from an iPod user for a few decades.

What say you?

if it sounds like it has very little bass, trust your ears - a 350$ Sony dap should have a nice warm enveloping bass, not sound like an alarm clock radio - you should enjoy the warmth and kick of the bass. Return it for replacement and point them to the huge amount of posts describing this issue here. I didn't hesitate for a second to throw my a306 back in the shop after a day, I only took measurements so I have proof so Sony can't tell me my ears might be a problem, I was certain after first 5 minutes listening that I was going to ditch it.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #1,588 of 4,129
That was a decent enough iem some (long) time ago, but if i try it today, i would probably also find it to have very flat, barely existent bass.
I think you can do much better with modern iems.

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #1,590 of 4,129
I have one on my A306 aswell. Only visible on completely white pages, so I don't care
Yea same here, I can live with it, kinda.. it's because Sony are using such high quality audiophile capacitors and 1% gold solder that can sometimes interfere with the lcd panels and cause this problem, all in the name of ultimate sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back