New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 2, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #1,591 of 4,139
if it sounds like it has very little bass, trust your ears - a 350$ Sony dap should have a nice warm enveloping bass, not sound like an alarm clock radio - you should enjoy the warmth and kick of the bass. Return it for replacement and point them to the huge amount of posts describing this issue here. I didn't hesitate for a second to throw my a306 back in the shop after a day, I only took measurements so I have proof so Sony can't tell me my ears might be a problem, I was certain after first 5 minutes listening that I was going to ditch it.
We tried to get test results but my laptop doesn't have the right inputs and I have no other way to test it.

My unit came from Hong Kong to the UK so not a straight forward nor inexpensive return.

I'm on long haul flights next week and away for a while so I really wanted the unit with me.
That was a decent enough iem some (long) time ago, but if i try it today, i would probably also find it to have very flat, barely existent bass.
I think you can do much better with modern iems.
Others have suggested the SE425's may not be up to the task, perhaps so.

I want to try other in-ears but that I can only do once I get to America.

Catch 22.🙄

Really hoping Sony admit the issue and put out a software update. 🫤

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #1,592 of 4,139
Someone from Sony contacted me by email last night and is asking to set up a phone call. I'm not sure exactly what they want to discuss (the email wasn't very specific) but I have replied back that I am available any time. It looks like they are on California time so maybe I'll hear back later today.

For those that are interested, I did not hear back from Sony yesterday.

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #1,593 of 4,139
That was a decent enough iem some (long) time ago, but if i try it today, i would probably also find it to have very flat, barely existent bass.
I think you can do much better with modern iems.
I had SE535 & SE530 before I got some SE846's and didn't understand the love of Shure's until I got the SE846, lower ones bass light to my ears anyway.

The SE846 still doesn't shame itself against my newer Sony M9's or Fiio FD7.

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #1,594 of 4,139
dead pixels are very common on Sony players. I have one on each ZX2, AM2.. i just take it on the chin and keep rollin'
I've been very lucky then :relaxed:

Had 10 Sony's and no dead pixels (ZX2, ZX300, ZX507 UK, ZX507 JP, A105 UK, A105 JP, WM1AM2 UK, WM1ZM2 UK, WM1AM2 JP, A307 JP)

Yes, always kept hoping Sony wouldn't cripple the UK/EU ones, didn't bother even trying with A307 and went straight for Japanese.

There was a temporary trick on ZX2 to disable sound capping but reset on a restart.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #1,595 of 4,139
Really hoping Sony admit the issue and put out a software update.

So long as any fix doesn't make my perfect one suddenly have +10dB of extra bass :sweat_smile:

I won't be a Guinee Pig with any upcoming software update, I will wait.

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #1,596 of 4,139
I had SE535 & SE530 before I got some SE846's and didn't understand the love of Shure's until I got the SE846, lower ones bass light to my ears anyway.

The SE846 still doesn't shame itself against my newer Sony M9's or Fiio FD7.
I've sort of asked this before but just how are folks testing headphones.

Just buy & return via Amazon?
Is that the only way these days?

I really hate not having technical proof if my A306 is faulty or not, but my ears currently believe it is. 😟

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #1,597 of 4,139

I really hate not having technical proof if my A306 is faulty it not, but my ears currently believe it is. 😟

No, with me all my IEM's have been a leap of faith based on forum feedback, and great used price to tempt me. All mine were pre-owned.

I did test B&W & Sennheiser headphones in the past and returned in their return Windows (inc. HD800).

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #1,598 of 4,139

I really hate not having technical proof if my A306 is faulty or not, but my ears currently believe it is. 😟
What iem are you using atomic? get a different set from amazon as psikey said and test using that ....Does your unit sound bass light i think you will know instantly, i have not done the REW test on mine(well not done it right LOL) but i am confident my unit is fine so i am not going to bother

Mar 2, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #1,599 of 4,139

Maybe you could get one of those cheap USB Sound cards with a separate line in to measure (although I understand that it would suck buying something like that only to measure once...)
Or do you maybe know someone who has a PC with separate line in?

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #1,600 of 4,139
An update in my A306.
As my old Shure SE425s died less than 24 hours after receiving my A306 I've had to use either my Bose Quiet Comfort 15 or old Sony MDR-7506 headphones with the latter having the better sound.

However, while warmer and a truer sound, the clarity wasn't there as I'd like while the volume also needed to be at 80-90/120.

My new (bargain used once) SE425s arrived today and I was looking forward to a full day of revelling in the A306's soundscapes.

Instead I have reverted to my initial first day reaction that I believe mine has the bass issue. 🫤

Sure (no pun intended) I could be hearing deficiencies in the Shure 425s, but even with the EQ on and set as below, there is little bass in tracks that should have a fat / warm bass & drums.

Without the EQ, with these in-ears at least, while it has a phenomenal stereo soundscape, it sounds lifeless with no bottom end punch.

I want to try other headphones when I get to the US next week, but while I love the A306, I'm disappointed today.

One additional issue (perhaps a normal common thing?) Twice when I have turned the A306 on and after the SD card icon has appeared, it has failed to find any tracks, saying no tracks found (or words to that affect.)

I've tried to take a photo of this, but have never been quick enough and at the second attempt, the tracks have appeared. Perhaps a normal lag, no idea as it's my first such unit coming from an iPod user for a few decades.

What say you?

What iem are you using atomic? get a different set from amazon as psikey said and test using that ....Does your unit sound bass light i think you will know instantly, i have not done the REW test on mine(well not done it right LOL) but i am confident my unit is fine so i am not going to bother
Detailed in my earlier post above this. ⬆️
My ears are sure it has the bass issues but I'd like to be sure it's not just my hearing. 🫤
Maybe you could get one of those cheap USB Sound cards with a separate line in to measure (although I understand that it would suck buying something like that only to measure once...)
Never heard of those, do you mean this?
Screenshot_20230302-123503.png

https://amzn.eu/d/47y90BD

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #1,601 of 4,139

As embarrassing as it is, I did not immediately notice the lack of bass on my A306 and I had to measure to be 100% sure. In my defense (weakly), I was using XBA-N3 IEMs which are about +10 dB in the bass to start with and I don't have "golden" ears. Still embarrassing though... :wink:

Mar 2, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #1,602 of 4,139
My ears are sure it has the bass issues but I'd like to be sure it's not just my hearing. 🫤

Screenshot_20230302-123503.png
Not a dedicated line-in, just Headphone & mic so you could still have issue as with your SurfacePro6

Mar 2, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #1,603 of 4,139
As embarrassing as it is, I did not immediately notice the lack of bass on my A306 and I had to measure to be 100% sure. In my defense (weakly), I was using XBA-N3 IEMs which are about +10 dB in the bass to start with and I don't have "golden" ears. Still embarrassing though... :wink:
Yes, the XBA-N3 (discounted) were so bass heavy for me I sold them on same day they arrived to a work colleague. Like a muddy boombox compared to what I was used to.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #1,604 of 4,139
Not a dedicated line-in, just Headphone & mic so you could still have issue as with your SurfacePro6
Should still work tho. The problem is, which I also had with my laptop, which is why I had to use my Audio Interface, that the combo jack does not seem to recognise a Male to male 3,5 as an input. So having a dedicated mic in like with the usb adapter above, atleast lets you measure at all I assume

Mar 2, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #1,605 of 4,139

This one looks to have LINE IN

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AyeVision-External-Surround-Recording-Compatible/dp/B095YB5SW4/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2B4YQGGQE4SV6&keywords=sound+card+LINE+IN&qid=1677761730&s=computers&sprefix=sound+card+line+in,computers,73&sr=1-8

61-bhANldPL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Coloured pale blue socket as this on back of my desktop.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back