New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 14, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #721 of 4,129
What I thought, people buying thinking they could use in a standard 3.5mm port instead of buying the regular one.

I'm expecting to hear no difference and then just stick with regular 3.5mm cables :smile: Its only ~ £10 so worth a punt.

That's what I did, I bought it out of curiosity. I knew it wouldn't add more power and honestly didn't expect anything but maybe a little less noise. But I'm glad I got it.

Feb 14, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #722 of 4,129
That's what I did, I bought it out of curiosity. I knew it wouldn't add more power and honestly didn't expect anything but maybe a little less noise. But I'm glad I got it.
I've got a bag full of adapters, connectors, extension, small link cables, ferrite rings, that are all not used now :wink:

Better edit my sig.

Feb 14, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #723 of 4,129
And I'm so pleased with mine, don't need balanced or high-gain power for my IEM's, so I've just sold my WM1AM2 ! :scream:
:astonished: Wow - now that's a statement!
I'm going to start with the Etymotic ER3-XR in-ears when I get to America in a few weeks, but then will check the Fiio FD7 / FH7 to compare.

Feb 14, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #724 of 4,129
:astonished: Wow - now that's a statement!
I'm going to start with the Etymotic ER3-XR in-ears when I get to America in a few weeks, but then will check the Fiio FD7 / FH7 to compare.

I don't think I have Golden ears like some members and don't use/own or want any headphones so don't need the power. The A307 vs WM1AM2 sounds good enough to my ears.

I've been listening for 6hrs straight at work today with my FD7's and only at 65/120 volume ( 50Ω (Ohm) and a sensitivity of about 111dB).

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #725 of 4,129
Yes, 3.5 male balanced to either 2.5 or 4.4 balanced. I'll link mine in a bit when I fully get up lol.

Here's the pic from Amazon

Screenshot_20230213-123417_Chrome.jpg

Did see that one on Amazon UK but seemed to have even worse reviews than one I purchased!

Feb 14, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #726 of 4,129
If you're up for it, can you attempt to Embed the Cue Sheet via FB2K (Foobar 2000) (right click on file, Utilities > Edit Cuesheet > Load > Select Cuesheet > Checkmark "Enable embedded Cuesheet on this file" . press OK) if you have any single file albums and see if it reads that properly? Thanks!

It appears that the cue sheet is already embedded. I attempted to "remove embedded cue sheet" and got the following:

Could not process file:
\\Album\CDImage.cue
Reason:
Unsupported format or corrupted file

I am not that familiar with Windows FB2K (MAC user) so I may have done something wrong. I don't have any other files to test.

Feb 14, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #727 of 4,129
There were no separate tax charges. The DAP and case were "¥44,100 Tax included" on Amazon.co.jp. The Buyee fee was ¥800 additional. Shipping was ¥4,360, also additional. As I said before $396.65 USD total (¥49,260).

I haven't had to pay customs in the past, but ???

Package arrived last Wednesday (I was out of town). No customs or additional charges. Ordered on 1/29, shipped on 2/6 (package consolidation took 1 day) and delivered on 2/8.

As expected the JP A306 is clearly uncapped based on volume levels compared to the US version that I returned to Sony.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #728 of 4,129
Package arrived last Wednesday (I was out of town). No customs or additional charges. Ordered on 1/29, shipped on 2/6 (package consolidation took 1 day) and delivered on 2/8.

As expected the JP A306 is clearly uncapped based on volume levels compared to the US version that I returned to Sony.
And no bass drop off as per emilsoft problem ?

Feb 14, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #729 of 4,129
Did see that one on Amazon UK but seemed to have even worse reviews than one I purchased!

I honestly think alot of the bad reviews are people trying to use it on a normal jack. I used an adapter from that brand before and it was pretty good- no problems.

People probably thinking this would turn their dap into balanced, not realizing you need a balanced 3.5 jack.

Yep listening this morning and it definitely expands the stage a bit, and it wasn't bad to begin with. Not bad for a 10 dollar investment. You usually do get better crosstalk rejection with balanced. This little bugger is full of surprises 😮

Actually I just tried a HD flac of Peter Gabriel So and the stage difference on Red Rain was quite wider. So depending on the source material (this album is masterd very good) the changes can be more shall we say dramatic 😀 Let's just say I'm digging Sledgehammer atm, great separation and detail.

20230214_104412.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #730 of 4,129
And no bass drop off as per emilsoft problem ?

Not that I can pick up on. I tried A/B testing with my A105 and couldn't detect any differences on a few bass heavy demo tracks.

Edit:

I was wrong, my unit does have the bass drop issue.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #731 of 4,129
I honestly think alot of the bad reviews are people trying to use it on a normal jack. I used an adapter from that brand before and it was pretty good- no problems.

People probably thinking this would turn their dap into balanced, not realizing you need a balanced 3.5 jack.

Yep listening this morning and it definitely expands the stage a bit, and it wasn't bad to begin with. Not bad for a 10 dollar investment. You usually do get better crosstalk rejection with balanced. This little bugger is full of surprises 😮

Actually I just tried a HD flac of Peter Gabriel So and the stage difference on Red Rain was quite wider. So depending on the source material (this album is masterd very good) the changes can be more shall we say dramatic 😀 Let's just say I'm digging Sledgehammer atm, great separation and detail.

How does the A300 compare with your Lotoo?

Feb 14, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #732 of 4,129
I hope the a306 is not brighter than the already bright and aggressive sounding a55 (even with mod) - I sold the a55 as it was a bit too much, too forward and unrefined (also it’s high output impedance didn’t help)
Yep you are right i recently sold my A55 ..i compared it to my ZX300 and that was warmer than the A55 i do like a warmer sound keeping my fingers crossed i will like the sound of the A306 having said that sometimes you get a nicer synergy depending on the IEM used ...Brighter sounding IEM are a pain to match with anything the treble hotness will burn your eardrums

Feb 14, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #733 of 4,129
And I'm so pleased with mine, don't need balanced or high-gain power for my IEM's, so I've just sold my WM1AM2 ! :scream:

This is what the A100 series should have been. Size/weight and battery life perfect for my needs, especially now most phones don't have 3.5mm out and Bluetooth can still be unreliable in busy BT/cellular use areas. OS/CPU plenty fast enough for Walkman Music & music streaming apps. Plenty OS life with Android 12.

No more BT adapters, separate DAC/AMPs, finding best link cables & joining methods :relaxed: I'm downsizing. A300 & M9 a perfect match. My Fiio FD7 sound great too, only my SE846 is a negative with the slight amp hiss detectable due to higher output impedance vs the WM1AM2, but I use that with my BTR5/Phone combo anyway.
Damn!! knowing how much you liked the WM1AM2 you certainly must have been impressed with the little A300 to sell it, I think your M9 sounds so impressive with the A300 you just couldn't justify having its bigger brother anymore ,the differences in sound quality must have been so marginal to your ears .

Feb 14, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #734 of 4,129
Damn!! knowing how much you liked the WM1AM2 you certainly must have been impressed with the little A300 to sell it, I think your M9 sounds so impressive with the A300 you just couldn't justify having its bigger brother anymore ,the differences in sound quality must have been so marginal to your ears .

You hit it
marginal to your ears

I couldn't say I could blind test listening between 3.5mm vs 4.4mm on the WM1AM2 if volume matched. The WM1AM2 has more power and some can detect the 5-10% improvement as price increases with these DAP's.

The WM1AM2 will surely be better with headphones needing more power and those with very discerning ears.

I'm happy with much smaller/lighter size even if I could detect a slight difference. The A307 is certainly a bit brighter but I like it and that's what matters most for me.

Look forward to your opinion.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #735 of 4,129
You hit it

I couldn't say I could blind test listening between 3.5mm vs 4.4mm on the WM1AM2 if volume matched. The WM1AM2 has more power and some can detect the 5-10% improvement as price increases with these DAP's.

The WM1AM2 will surely be better with headphones needing more power and those with very discerning ears.

I'm happy with much smaller/lighter size even if I could detect a slight difference. The A307 is certainly a bit brighter but I like it and that's what matters most for me.

Look forward to your opinion.

Mine should be here on Friday hopefully will be testing with my FH7 if it sounds like the A105 i will be more than pleased, i did like the player but it was sluggish and battery life was bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back