New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 14, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #691 of 4,162
Great post, precisely the comparison I was looking for.

I love my 1AM2, but for awhile I’ve been feeling like it plays better with full-size cans or really hard-to-drive IEMs. It’s a bit hard to articulate… it’s not an overall gain thing, rather a “too-much-of-everything thing”… the dyanamics, the overall boisterous-ness of the 1AM2- sometimes I feel it sacrifices some clarity, particularly with IEMs that are both sensitive and relatively dynamic themselves… thinking of the Fir Audio NE4 and the Empire Ears Legend X SE, in particular. There’s almost like an invisible layer of velvet fuzz over everything- nothing that is objectively -or perhaps even measurably- audible, but something that is there none the less. If that makes sense. In any event, listened to the NE4 with a Fiio M11 (2020) and an iPod Touch today, and while neither is my cup of tea overall, the layer of velvet was absent, and the feeling of clarity was back.

Wondering if you

A. Have any idea what I’m talking about

and

B. If the A300, being a bit brighter and mid-centric, played better with IEMs, in terms of clarity. That said, I haven’t found my M9 (which I think is perhaps the best $1k fully BA neutral all-rounder on the market) to be either sensitive nor particularly dynamic, so perhaps what I’m talking about with the 1AM2 didn’t present as significantly with the M9…
I do think the A300 has a bit more clarity and your velvet fuzz an accurate perception.

My dynamic FD7 sound great too.

Feb 14, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #692 of 4,162
I do think the A300 has a bit more clarity and your velvet fuzz an accurate perception.

My dynamic FD7 sound great too.
Great to hear. Just placed an order for an A306 in black.

The (comparatively) tiny form-factor will also be appreciated. I once read a review that described the Hugo 2 as a “mobile desk rig” (or words to that effect)… and while the 1AM2 certainly isn’t in that size/weight class, it’s an enormous and heavy piece of kit in it’s own right- at least as far as DAPs go.

If the A306 ends up working out for me, I think it will become my mobile/sensitive IEM go-to, while the 1AM2 will be relegated to full-time desk duties, driving my various full-size cans at home.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #693 of 4,162
Great to hear. Just placed an order for an A306 in black.

The (comparatively) tiny form-factor will also be appreciated… I once read a review that described the the Hugo 2 as a “mobile desk rig” (or words to that effect)… and while the 1AM2 certainly isn’t in that size/weight class, it’s an enormous and heavy piece of kit in it’s own right- particularly for a DAP. If the A306 ends up working out for me, I think it will become my mobile/sensitive IEM go-to, while the 1AM2 will be relegated to full-time desk duties, driving my various full-size cans at home.
I do only use the 1AM2 at home or office, never while walking around or out & about.

Its a bit concerning a couple members stating they have low end issue with their A300's with bass drop off.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #694 of 4,162
Case is so nice I have to have a velvet pouch to protect it 😆

20230214_090233.jpg

Feb 14, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #696 of 4,162
According to sony's own page yes.I don't expect any meaniful changes, but I thought it might help with the wee bit of screen noise, hiss I get.

Just tried it, it actually seems to have a bit wider stage with the balanced 3.5. I'll listen more tonight as my mind could be playing tricks on me but that's how it sounds.
Screenshot_20230211-234934_Chrome.jpg

I missed that feature, but I didn't even know that balanced 3.5mm even exists, I wonder how much this can improve because the output power still the same mW, it doesn't show in the specs that it changes if using balanced or unbalanced.. I'm trying to find some MMCX cable for my headphones to buy and try but I always lead to cables with microphone, any hint for the search?
btw, did you try deeper the difference in sound quality with the balanced 3.5mm @abitdeef ?

Feb 14, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #697 of 4,162
I missed that feature, but I didn't even know that balanced 3.5mm even exists, I wonder how much this can improve because the output power still the same mW, it doesn't show in the specs that it changes if using balanced or unbalanced.. I'm trying to find some MMCX cable for my headphones to buy and try but I always lead to cables with microphone, any hint for the search?
btw, did you try deeper the difference in sound quality with the balanced 3.5mm @abitdeef ?
It improves by a fair bit, better separation. Get it if you can.

Search for 3.5mm trrs balanced mmcx

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #698 of 4,162
I do only use the 1AM2 at home or office, never while walking around or out & about.

Its a bit concerning a couple members stating they have low end issue with their A300's with bass drop off.
It is indeed as I nervously await mine. 🫣
Perhaps this is the reason for pushback of the release date and the silence about why in the UK/ US?
I hope not though! :thinking:

Feb 14, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #699 of 4,162
It is indeed as I nervously await mine. 🫣
Perhaps this is the reason for pushback of the release date and the silence about why in the UK/ US?
I hope not though! :thinking:

There's something fishy going on.. there were only 2 306 available but many 707s at my Sony shop. Make sure you give it a test and if it sounds too bright don't accept that, return it. Perhaps it can be resolved with firmware update, not sure.

Feb 14, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #700 of 4,162
It improves by a fair bit, better separation. Get it if you can.

Search for 3.5mm trrs balanced mmcx

Are you saying it can do balanced on 3.5mm? I thought it just meant they had two separate earths rather than 1 common earth ?

Feb 14, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #701 of 4,162
Are you saying it can do balanced on 3.5mm? I thought it just meant they had two separate earths rather than 1 common earth ?
It's not balanced in the sense of double amplification (hence more power) but separate earths is the key factor of why it can sound better (if not louder in this instance) - i think two separate earths means balanced

Feb 14, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #702 of 4,162
It's not balanced in the sense of double amplification (hence more power) but separate earths is the key factor of why it can sound better (if not louder in this instance) - i think two separate earths means balanced

Does this reduce 3.5mm SE stereo cross-talk too then if using separate earths ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back