New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 13, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #679 of 4,198
I usually don't buy the US model anyways because the color selection is usually limited. They happend to have black this time but alas it was neutered.

Don't really care about the warranty myself.

Feb 13, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #680 of 4,198
Just got my A306 today from Japan and wanted to share a few things I've discovered, as well as provide another example of a lack of low-end.

First, for those of you not familiar with Android, there are three types of navigation bar (the three symbols on the bottom of the screen). The A300 ships with the old three-button style and doesn't have a setting to enable the new gesture-based navigation. However, the functionality still exists, albeit behind an ADB command. To switch to the new gesture style navigation you can run the following command:

adb shell cmd overlay enable com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural

Given the limited screen space on the A300, I think the more minimal gesture style navigation is really helpful. Here's a photo of it in action:

It does look like restarting the device slightly miscalculates the bottom area, but this is easily fixable by rotating the device to landscape and back again.

A few pages back I think someone was asking about setting an accent color, which is part of the Material You design system on Android 12 and 13. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to set the accent color based on the wallpaper; it appears that the dynamic color engine is completely missing from the OS.

Finally, I noticed that music from the headphone jack felt flat, almost as if it was being played through a phone's speaker. I confirmed that it wasn't me just being crazy by using an Apple USB C to headphone adapter and confirming that the low-end was much more noticeable via the adapter. I've enabled the Equalizer using the "Excited" preset which seems to alleviate most of the issue. Still, I find it strange that out of the box music sounds lifeless compared to a basic $9 DAC plugged into the same device. I tested at volume level 80 on my DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #681 of 4,198
Just got my A306 today from Japan and wanted to share a few things I've discovered, as well as provide another example of a lack of low-end.

First, for those of you not familiar with Android, there are three types of navigation bar (the three symbols on the bottom of the screen). The A300 ships with the old three-button style and doesn't have a setting to enable the new gesture-based navigation. However, the functionality still exists, albeit behind an ADB command. To switch to the new gesture style navigation you can run the following command:

adb shell cmd overlay enable com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural

Given the limited screen space on the A300, I think the more minimal gesture style navigation is really helpful. Here's a photo of it in action:

It does look like restarting the device slightly miscalculates the bottom area, but this is easily fixable by rotating the device to landscape and back again.

A few pages back I think someone was asking about setting an accent color, which is part of the Material You design system on Android 12 and 13. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to set the accent color based on the wallpaper; it appears that the dynamic color engine is completely missing from the OS.

Finally, I noticed that music from the headphone jack felt flat, almost as if it was being played through a phone's speaker. I confirmed that it wasn't me just being crazy by using an Apple USB C to headphone adapter and confirming that the low-end was much more noticeable via the adapter. I've enabled the Equalizer using the "Excited" preset which seems to alleviate most of the issue. Still, I find it strange that out of the box music sounds lifeless compared to a basic $9 DAC plugged into the same device. I tested at volume level 80 on my DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm.

You might be having the same defect as mine - I measured a serious bass roll off from 200hz (-10db), making it indeed sound like a phone speaker, see here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...eries-android-12.966467/page-39#post-17398533

Using EQ to fix this is not acceptable, this device fails to reproduce basic audio flat frequency that a 9$ dongle can. It costs 350$, this shouldn't even be a question..

What range is your serial? Mine is quite early batch i think; Sr # S0110000xx

I took mine back to Sony (who are currently investigating - i think), you should do the same. I have a feeling they will give me a replacement A306, but I also have a (glass half empty) feeling it will have the same fault..

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #682 of 4,198
What range is your serial? Mine is quite early batch i think; Sr # S0110000xx
S01-20002xx

After trying a few different listening devices (WH-1000XM3 via passive, Mackie CR3, Apple EarPods) I'm starting to think the issue is related to power output. I've only been able to reproduce the flat sound via my DT 770 PRO. I wouldn't have anticipated that the Japanese A300 would have issues with 80 ohm headphones, but it's starting to feel like it does.

Feb 14, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #683 of 4,198
After a few days listening to my A306, I can confirm its overall better than my A55 mod in clarity with brighter sounds. Its battery life is also amazing, playing youtube music drained only 8%~9% per hour, and its SQ is also good. By turning on the DSEE Ultimate, songs from youtube music seems to have fullier mids , better dynamics and extensions. BTW, I have to change my router channel setting in order to make my JP version A306 able to detect the 5G signal. I think A306 is a very good alternative to the dongle/phone synergy for streaming, needless to say its SQ of playing files is great too !

33837732.jpg

Feb 14, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #684 of 4,198
S01-20002xx

After trying a few different listening devices (WH-1000XM3 via passive, Mackie CR3, Apple EarPods) I'm starting to think the issue is related to power output. I've only been able to reproduce the flat sound via my DT 770 PRO. I wouldn't have anticipated that the Japanese A300 would have issues with 80 ohm headphones, but it's starting to feel like it does.

Before I measured mine, I was trying to persuade myself it's something else like headphone impedance etc, but it wasn't.

100XM3, CR3 and Earpods - are you using them via bluetooth? If so then that would explain why they sound OK - bluetooth and headphone jack have completely different paths

* oops sorry I missed that you said you use them via passive, so jack input. Then I'm not sure, only way to know for certain is by measuring a frequency sweep and checking a spectrum analyser on your computer. I'm just warning you as there is an obvious defect with mine, clear as daylight, that sounds aligned with your experience

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #685 of 4,198
100XM3, CR3 and Earpods - are you using them via bluetooth?
Nope, all via the headphone jack. Returning is an option (albeit a painful one given I imported it from Japan), but I think I want to try with an easier to drive set of headphones before declaring it mechanically defective. Either that or get a scientific confirmation that some models exhibit the behavior and some don't.

Feb 14, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #686 of 4,198
Nope, all via the headphone jack. Returning is an option (albeit a painful one given I imported it from Japan), but I think I want to try with an easier to drive set of headphones before declaring it mechanically defective. Either that or get a scientific confirmation that some models exhibit the behavior and some don't.

If/when I get a replacement I will do another set of measurements and let you know. As it stands I know (scientifically) that mine has a -10db bass deficiency irrelevant of impedance/load, it's baked in. I also know based on a youtube measurement video that shows frequency response for both ZX707 and A306 as ruler flat that a "correct" sounding A300 is something that should exist out there.

On another note the mids and treble sounds nice and open, I wouldn't call them bright or edgy.. the main thing that makes this player sound bright is the bass chop IMO

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #687 of 4,198
I understand that measuring audio output accurately is incredibly difficult and requires special equipment, but I figured a basic "record through my computer's microphone port" comparison of the default setting, ClearAudio+, and via the Apple USB C adapter might be useful.

Looking at this, it appears that at the same volume, ClearAudio+ might be making everything a touch louder, which is why it sounds more appealing than with it off. This also appears to be the case with the Apple USB C adapter. So I might be just falling into the trap of "louder is better" and tricking myself into thinking that the default doesn't sound good. (That being said, I have decent hearing and even at 80 the default sound is pretty quiet.)

Feb 14, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #688 of 4,198
Been A-B testing across a range of my familiar tracks today including some DSD, 96 & 192 FLAC and some MQA.

I've concentrated today on just using Walkman app with own files with my Sony IER-M9 which I consider currently my best, most revealing IEM's. I have only been using 3.5mm, not comparing to 1AM2 4.4mm balanced.

• To volume match my Japanese A307 & WM1AM2 the 1AM2 had to be 4-5 volume steps higher.
  • To me the A307 is a bit brighter but also has a bit more bass impact & forward mids.
  • Listening to song below for 1st 10s or so repeatedly, instrument placement/distinction/clarity seems same but 1AM2 sounds like its in a slightly bigger, more expansive space with a bit more decay of instruments, more lingering echo.
  • In Walkman music app, both are snappy in operation, but the A300 OS/SOC is noticeably faster with third party streaming apps and faster USB & wireless speeds. ZX700 series should be even faster operation with its 8 cores vs 4 cores of the A300 series (but also lower battery life).
  • A300 series battery life is much better than A100 & ZX500 series and I'd say will satisfy most people now, but of course any Sony Sound tweaks & live streaming a music service by third party app over Wi-Fi will maybe give you 10hrs (was about 5-6 from my experience with older series (I use only Direct mode).

20230212_161346.jpg

I can honestly say if I lost my 1AM2 I'd be perfectly happy sticking with just the A307 using my M9's via 3.5mm.

The 1AM2 is going to handle more demanding ear/headphones with its much higher output 4.4mm balanced and having high gain too. And as you would expect for price difference, audio quality is that bit better with 1AM2. The 1AM2 via balanced has no real stereo crosstalk if your sensitive to that, I'm not noticing via 3.5mm with either DAP.

If your on a budget or want a small player with the Sony house sound/great Sound Quality, with decent battery life for the size of the player using Android, this is fabulous.

I suspect if your happy with lower battery life, the ZX700 series is best of all worlds being faster & having balanced but in a less pocket friendly size/weight than the A300 series, yet having near same components as WM MK2 series and bit smaller/lighter and cheaper than that.

I've not tried any BT audio yet, but Wi-Fi streaming stability seems fine for me at home.

NOTE: Those more hardcore audiophiles with Golden/Younger ears may be able to hear difference better than I can so as always, have to listen for yourself.
Great post, precisely the comparison I was looking for.

I love my 1AM2, but for awhile I’ve been feeling like it plays better with full-size cans or really hard-to-drive IEMs. It’s a bit hard to articulate… it’s not an overall gain thing, rather a “too-much-of-everything thing”… the dyanamics, the overall boisterous-ness of the 1AM2- sometimes I feel it sacrifices some clarity, particularly with IEMs that are both sensitive and relatively dynamic themselves… thinking of the Fir Audio NE4 and the Empire Ears Legend X SE, in particular. There’s almost like an invisible layer of velvet fuzz over everything- nothing that is objectively -or perhaps even measurably- audible, but something that is there none the less. If that makes sense. In any event, listened to the NE4 with a Fiio M11 (2020) and an iPod Touch today, and while neither is my cup of tea overall, the layer of velvet was absent, and the feeling of clarity was back.

Wondering if you

A. Have any idea what I’m talking about

and

B. If the A300, being a bit brighter and mid-centric, played better with IEMs, in terms of clarity. That said, I haven’t found my M9 (which I think is perhaps the best $1k fully BA neutral all-rounder on the market) to be either sensitive nor particularly dynamic, so perhaps what I’m talking about with the 1AM2 didn’t present as significantly with the M9…

Feb 14, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #689 of 4,198
I understand that measuring audio output accurately is incredibly difficult and requires special equipment, but I figured a basic "record through my computer's microphone port" comparison of the default setting, ClearAudio+, and via the Apple USB C adapter might be useful.

Looking at this, it appears that at the same volume, ClearAudio+ might be making everything a touch louder, which is why it sounds more appealing than with it off. This also appears to be the case with the Apple USB C adapter. So I might be just falling into the trap of "louder is better" and tricking myself into thinking that the default doesn't sound good. (That being said, I have decent hearing and even at 80 the default sound is pretty quiet.)

This test doesn't give enough insight for you. First I would forget about all the DSP stuff - turn off sound settings completely - if you want to ascertain you dap is working within normal accepted parameters of audio reproduction, do a similar test with volume matched usb c dongle and a306 without any dsp, for both play separately a frequency sweep and record/mic into your computer

Use something from here for frequency response : https://techdator.net/best-audio-spectrum-analyzer-windows/

See what the frequency response is between the two. It should match 99% assuming usb -c dongle is working correctly, which I'm sure it does. If it doesn't it's a defect

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #690 of 4,198
According to sony's own page yes.I don't expect any meaniful changes, but I thought it might help with the wee bit of screen noise, hiss I get.

Just tried it, it actually seems to have a bit wider stage with the balanced 3.5. I'll listen more tonight as my mind could be playing tricks on me but that's how it sounds.
Screenshot_20230211-234934_Chrome.jpg
Interesting, I missed that info.
Thanks!
Even more tempting now, too bad it's on the bright side though.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back