New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Feb 13, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #646 of 4,198
Brilliant, there was mention somewhere in the thread that voltage would be an issue, so yet another reason to be happy with going this route! 😁👍

I'm looking at a particular pair of in-ears with great reviews.

Sadly I can't justify £800-£1000 on headphones as I'm on an off flights, tour buses and have to leave things in production offices, so a prime thing to vanish.

Any recommendations sub £500?

there is only one recommendation I can make for sub 500 that can hold its own with the kilobucks competition and that’s Sony IERM7.
I even have Softears RSV which I got on sale for slightly above 500, it has excellent tuning but it doesn’t scale as much as the IER - as you upgrade your source the ierm7 will happily scale up by your side. It’s good enough to hold its own and stand side by side with Andromeda and Shure KSE1200, even if not outcompeting these it is not embarrassed by them and its getting more than it’s fair share of ear time alongside them.
I think one of the IER series is a must, it’s an IEM that does everything very well and can stay by your side forever

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #647 of 4,198
Thanks for the replies - The Fiio sound very interesting.
These were highly recommended and at a very different lower price point.
Not being remotely knowledgeable about these things, could you kindly check their spec and tell me if you see anything that alarms you or you think I should know?

https://www.etymotic.com/product/er3xr-earphones/
May thanks again.
I have tried this very same model they are detailed sounding with no bass ..if you like bass i would avoid these its very good for vocals just my thoughts

Feb 13, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #648 of 4,198
I have tried this very same model they are detailed sounding with no bass ..if you like bass i would avoid these its very good for vocals just my thoughts
Good to know - thank you!
Do you think the EQ options on the A306 would take care of the lack of bass?

Feb 13, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #649 of 4,198
Good to know - thank you!
Do you think the EQ options on the A306 would take care of the lack of bass?
Maybe i like listening to my music direct source setting on Sony ..it should make a difference i suppose

Feb 13, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #650 of 4,198
Bit more on BT testing

Went out walking dog with A307 connected to BTR5 "LDAC Best" and got a few glitches/break-up's so set in "LDAC connection pref." and got odd glitch again, then phone call came through and realised I had my phone connected to BTR5 at same time as the A307.

Disabled phone BT so only A307 connected to BTR5 and then stable all way home in connection preference and also "Best" modes. I don't use public transport like busses & trains so no idea how it would perform with lots of BT/Cellular around.

Oh, when I walked around downstairs with A307 on arm of sofa, I got at least 5m away with no connection loss but once I got fridge between me & A307 it broke up and started dropping,

Initial feeling on connectivity is OK but not as good as a mobile phone.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #651 of 4,198
Etymotic are very neutral, and I don't like the deep fit. I don't think it would be a good match with a306, which is already neutral- neutral bright. There's so many chi fi iems too. That fiio looks nice, and I wouldn't mind trying the Sony F7 or F9 myself.

Anyways just to mess around I've got a 4 pole 3.5 balanced to 2.5 balanced adapter coming today. I don't expect anything but maybe a little cleaner output and maybe a bit better crosstalk. My curiosity got the best of me since sony said they were using a 4 pole jack. Better grounding, probably nothing audible will come from it. But it was cheap so... BTW I tried my ibasso dc03 pro today and it sound so dark compared to the Sony, and the Sony still has great bass, it's just really punchy and clean.

Pic of adapter- I've used this brand before and they're pretty decent.

Screenshot_20230213-123417_Chrome.jpg

Feb 13, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #652 of 4,198
Bit more on BT testing

Went out walking dog with A307 connected to BTR5 "LDAC Best" and got a few glitches/break-up's so set in "LDAC connection pref." and got odd glitch again, then phone call came through and realised I had my phone connected to BTR5 at same time as the A307.

Disabled phone BT so only A307 connected to BTR5 and then stable all way home in connection preference and also "Best" modes. I don't use public transport like busses & trains so no idea how it would perform with lots of BT/Cellular around.

Oh, when I walked around downstairs with A307 on arm of sofa, I got at least 5m away with no connection loss but once I got fridge between me & A307 it broke up and started dropping,

Initial feeling on connectivity is OK but not as good as a mobile phone.

Only thing I've ever used that rivaled a phone was the quedelix 5k. But like I said my other daps break up when they're in my pocket lol.

Feb 13, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #653 of 4,198
there is only one recommendation I can make for sub 500 that can hold its own with the kilobucks competition and that’s Sony IERM7.
I even have Softears RSV which I got on sale for slightly above 500, it has excellent tuning but it doesn’t scale as much as the IER - as you upgrade your source the ierm7 will happily scale up by your side. It’s good enough to hold its own and stand side by side with Andromeda and Shure KSE1200, even if not outcompeting these it is not embarrassed by them and its getting more than it’s fair share of ear time alongside them.
I think one of the IER series is a must, it’s an IEM that does everything very well and can stay by your side forever

How's the fit and weight of those? They look on the smaller side which is what I need.

Feb 13, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #654 of 4,198
How's the fit and weight of those? They look on the smaller side which is what I need.
Well I have the M9 which are identical design, just better materials and extra driver.

Really light and easy to wear all day. They are still larger than my SE846 but still I'd describe them as small.

Feb 13, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #655 of 4,198
Excellent fit excellent comfort and very light - they also don’t need comply tips to sound their best, they’re very plug and play and can be worn for hours.

Feb 13, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #656 of 4,198
Excellent fit excellent comfort and very light - they also don’t need comply tips to sound their best, they’re very plug and play and can be worn for hours.
I use SpinFit silicon tips with my M9's.

Feb 13, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #659 of 4,198
So a customs charge of €73.99 is due for the a306, not too bad, was expecting more, I paid €292 for it with €22 shipping from Japan to Ireland
I'm expecting £65-£70 on mine.
Let's see, but I'd still be better off than buying in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back