New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
May 27, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #3,241 of 4,139
Just received my A306 from my local HiFi shop. There is no bass issue. I drove the Diana v2 for giggles and it did pretty good overall. Loud enough for decent listening, but clearly not ideal.

It is plenty loud for me with the IER Z1R. 100/120 is my normal listening level, 110 too loud. For reference, the iBasso DX320 X I run low gain and 53-56/63. I’m testing my other iems as well.

Overall I’m loving this little thing. The sound is spacious, well balanced, and lively. Not neutral by any means.

May 28, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #3,242 of 4,139
Just received my A306 from my local HiFi shop. There is no bass issue. I drove the Diana v2 for giggles and it did pretty good overall. Loud enough for decent listening, but clearly not ideal.

It is plenty loud for me with the IER Z1R. 100/120 is my normal listening level, 110 too loud. For reference, the iBasso DX320 X I run low gain and 53-56/63. I’m testing my other iems as well.

Overall I’m loving this little thing. The sound is spacious, well balanced, and lively. Not neutral by any means.

Dang 100/120. This is for the capped version?

On my japanese version im listening at 65-75 mostly around 68-70

May 28, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #3,243 of 4,139
Dang 100/120. This is for the capped version?

On my japanese version im listening at 65-75 mostly around 68-70
Yes. Most assuredly capped.

Other than a number, it doesn’t sound under powered or weak. I don’t get any warnings because my volume is over 50. It drives the Z1R surprisingly well for the supposed weak specs. I can’t say any other of my more powerful DAPs are more than 10-15% better, just different.

The size and portability is crazy good. It’s more compact than the Shanling M1s and hugely more functional than the Fiio M6.

May 28, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #3,244 of 4,139
Yes. Most assuredly capped.

Other than a number, it doesn’t sound under powered or weak. I don’t get any warnings because my volume is over 50. It drives the Z1R surprisingly well for the supposed weak specs. I can’t say any other of my more powerful DAPs are more than 10-15% better, just different.

The size and portability is crazy good. It’s more compact than the Shanling M1s and hugely more functional than the Fiio M6.

Yeah I love mine too. I was lucky that I have a buddy in Japan so he just bought it for me and shipped it over so it was not any more or less expensive than buying one here.

Truly a wonderful player. Also the battery life is great! Yes its not the fastest GUI but I feel its actually faster than my am2.

May 28, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #3,245 of 4,139
Yeah I love mine too. I was lucky that I have a buddy in Japan so he just bought it for me and shipped it over so it was not any more or less expensive than buying one here.

Truly a wonderful player. Also the battery life is great! Yes its not the fastest GUI but I feel its actually faster than my am2.
It is most certainly faster than the ZM2/AM2, especially noticeable with 3rd party apps. ZX700 will be even faster with double the cores, but lower battery life.

I prefer the extra battery life myself and been perfectly fine without a balanced 4.4mm connection.

Best small/tiny Android 11 DAP IMO.

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #3,249 of 4,139
Just ordered the blue one - is there a guide, or best settings when using this out to an external DAC? i.e. to avoid the Walkman doing any of its own processing (bit perfect?)
connect via usb and / or turn on direct mode?

are u using this as a walkman as well? always wonder to point of buying such a device in order to connect it to a dac? maybe you can explain to me?

also when people buy one then add a dongle dac?

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #3,250 of 4,139

are u using this as a walkman as well? always wonder to point of buying such a device in order to connect it to a dac? maybe you can explain to me?

I use mine as a steamer for my Woo WA8 and Mojo 2. Both have much more power to drive headphones.

May 30, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #3,252 of 4,139

I use it as Walkman when out & about but when at home, I prefer using my loudspeakers via my Schiit Yggdrasil and the Walkman has a nice user experience so being able to use it both of these ways is really nice. I wouldn't get it solely as a transport, but the fact that I can use it as a transport/streamer is super helpful (saves me getting another device etc).

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #3,253 of 4,139
I use it as Walkman when out & about but when at home, I prefer using my loudspeakers via my Schiit Yggdrasil and the Walkman has a nice user experience so being able to use it both of these ways is really nice. I wouldn't get it solely as a transport, but the fact that I can use it as a transport is super helpful (saves me getting another device etc).

It's also the smallest Android transport that I am aware of which helps with a portable stack... :)

May 30, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #3,254 of 4,139
why is the walkman useful then in that scenario? not saying, genuinely asking.
As mentioned before, as a wireless transport to more capable DAC/amp. And, as a digital transport for music stored on the microSD.
The paltry 35mw on the A306 is good for IEMs and maybe really sensitive HPs, but can’t drive a planar headphone.
In my case, I use Roon to stream to the A306. Yes there are other options, but it’s the smallest Android 12 DAP that I’m aware.

May 31, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #3,255 of 4,139
this may have already been discussed, can't find it. anyone using poweramp and if so what are the recommended audio output settings to get the best audio / bypass android?

so many options i end up confused.

cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back