New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
May 31, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #3,256 of 4,127
May 31, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #3,257 of 4,127
Just bought this for sh^t and giggles as a transport for Mojo 2. Can't see it being used as a standalone DAP, but the size is appealing for stacking. One question - does the native Sony music app work for USB-DAC or does one have to go via UAPP?

May 31, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #3,258 of 4,127
Just bought this for sh^t and giggles as a transport for Mojo 2. Can't see it being used as a standalone DAP, but the size is appealing for stacking. One question - does the native Sony music app work for USB-DAC or does one have to go via UAPP?
Works great as digital transport via Sony music app, Qobuz, Roon, etc..

It’s almost the exact dimensions of mojo 2 as well.

May 31, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #3,259 of 4,127
Works great as digital transport via Sony music app, Qobuz, Roon, etc..

It’s almost the exact dimensions of mojo 2 as well.
Ok, that's very good to hear. Have to say, I like the analogue cassette screensaver thing, so was hoping to be able to use that with Mojo 2! Currently using Hiby RS2 which has the advantage of x2 SD slots, but the GUI and overall speed is often painful at times.

May 31, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #3,261 of 4,127

I'm surprised you feel that way about it being stand alone. I am guessing that perhaps your portable scenario is with full size headphones that require a fair amount of power?

May 31, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #3,262 of 4,127
I'm surprised you feel that way about it being stand alone. I am guessing that perhaps your portable scenario is with full size headphones that require a fair amount of power?
Mostly headphones, indeed. Although, I did have the WM1A at one point, and that didn't really impress me also both in terms of its output and overall performance (though liked the UI and build a lot). But I'm happy to see how the A306 sounds with some IEMs when it arrives tomorrow, though my sense is that it'll serve better as transport.

May 31, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #3,263 of 4,127
Ok, that's very good to hear. Have to say, I like the analogue cassette screensaver thing, so was hoping to be able to use that with Mojo 2! Currently using Hiby RS2 which has the advantage of x2 SD slots, but the GUI and overall speed is often painful at times.

Not all Android streaming apps have USB direct modes, so you may have issues with bit perfect on some apps (like Amazon Music or Roon). I see that as a limitation of the apps rather than the DAP. I'm pretty sure that the Walkman player and Tidal/Qobuz are good though.

Of course natively (non-USB), you only get 16/48 or 32/192 with SRC on streaming apps.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #3,264 of 4,127
Not all Android streaming apps have USB direct modes, so you may have issues with bit perfect on some apps (like Amazon Music or Roon). I see that as a limitation of the apps rather than the DAP. I'm pretty sure that the Walkman player and Tidal/Qobuz are good though.

Of course natively (non-USB), you only get 16/48 or 32/192 with SRC on streaming apps.
Except Tidal WiFi Streaming in UAPP (Qubuz too)

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #3,266 of 4,127
Hi
I've used poweramp to make some playlists on the walkman (i find this much easier than the walkman apps clunky way of doing so). I've then exported the poweramp playlists which save as m3u8 files to the sd card music folder where all my folders reside. when I've refreshed the walkman library the playlist names appear but all have 0 tracks in them. I changed them to m3u but still the problem exists. My files are flac files and sit in folders eg - 'artist-album'

anyone know why?

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #3,267 of 4,127
Hi
I've used poweramp to make some playlists on the walkman (i find this much easier than the walkman apps clunky way of doing so). I've then exported the poweramp playlists which save as m3u8 files to the sd card music folder where all my folders reside. when I've refreshed the walkman library the playlist names appear but all have 0 tracks in them. I changed them to m3u but still the problem exists. My files are flac files and sit in folders eg - 'artist-album'

anyone know why?
Hi I've sorted it. When poweramp exported the playlist it added the sdcard number in front of the file path. I just had to find and replace that with nothing so my file paths started /Music and now all is fine.

cheers

Jun 1, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #3,268 of 4,127
Ooh, form factor with Mojo2 is superb. And the cassette playback display is playing on my boomer feels big time.

1130619.jpg

Jun 1, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #3,269 of 4,127
Ooh, form factor with Mojo2 is superb. And the cassette playback display is playing on my boomer feels big time.

1130619.jpg
I like how the cassettes become higher quality as you play higher bitrate music. The DSD shows a ceramic cassette, presumably the best cassette made.

Jun 1, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #3,270 of 4,127
I like how the cassettes become higher quality as you play higher bitrate music. The DSD shows a ceramic cassette, presumably the best cassette made.
Very nice feature indeed. Although also fantastic to be able to run UAPP on such a small device with Mojo2. Definitely beats Hiby RS2 as a transport in terms of usability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back