New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
May 21, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #3,211 of 4,163
ok no worries
Yes, need to ensure Hi-Res is off for best battery life too.

I only use Spotify for discovery now so leave my A307 set on low (16/48) as Walkman Music does bit-perfect whichever that option is set too, its only for for 3rd party apps (exc. UAPP which does its own pit-perfect thing via its own driver)

May 21, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #3,212 of 4,163
Yes, need to ensure Hi-Res is off for best battery life too.

I only use Spotify for discovery now so leave my A307 set on low (16/48) as Walkman Music does bit-perfect whichever that option is set too, its only for for 3rd party apps (exc. UAPP which does its own pit-perfect thing via its own driver)
i do have it off. the test was trying to simulate the best conditions for battery. and trying to see if i got sonys results

May 21, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #3,213 of 4,163
i do have it off. the test was trying to simulate the best conditions for battery. and trying to see if i got sonys results
I will re-run a battery test if I get chance.

Just to confirm also, you didn't have the battery protection enabled where it doesn't fully charge to 100%. I have that set on mine normally.

May 21, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #3,215 of 4,163
- Is this ‘Hi Res Streaming’ is bit perfect?
- As I guss not, then what it is ?

- Is it break the barrier of 48Khz default Android sample rate?
Yes sets to 32/192 which happens to be what Amazon Music app feeds out anyway while something like Spotify would have 16/44 padded up to 32/192. Not loosing detail of the base file.

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #3,217 of 4,163
- Is this ‘Hi Res Streaming’ is bit perfect?
- As I guss not, then what it is ?

- Is it break the barrier of 48Khz default Android sample rate?

https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/1301/v1/en/contents/TP1000735013.html

Using the High-Res streaming function​

You can enjoy music streaming from online music services in high sound quality.
  1. Swipe the [WALKMAN Home] screen upwards.
  2. Tap the menu items in the following order.
    c_android_settings_label.png
    [Settings] - [Sound] - [High-Res streaming].
  3. Tap the switch to turn on the [High-Res streaming] function.
    Music streamed using apps other than “Music player” is played in the following quality.
    • [Use High-Res streaming] is on:
      Up-converted playback at 192 kHz/32 bit
    • [Use High-Res streaming] is off:
      Down-converted playback at 48 kHz/16 bit

May 22, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #3,218 of 4,163
Hi there. Newbie post, so please be gentle... I would like some advice ... Question 1. I use Campfire Audio Comet ( 97db quoted sensitivity ) and Sony 1000 xm5's . Based on this, would a volume capped 306 from the UK suffer from the noise floor hiss that has been mentioned, and would it drive the comets to a decent level, or would you order a non capped from one of the on line retailers if so which one? ( I am not planning on changing the iem's ) Question 2 Or would you go for a Shanling M3 ultra over the 306.?

May 22, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #3,219 of 4,163
Hi there. Newbie post, so please be gentle... I would like some advice ... Question 1. I use Campfire Audio Comet ( 97db quoted sensitivity ) and Sony 1000 xm5's . Based on this, would a volume capped 306 from the UK suffer from the noise floor hiss that has been mentioned, and would it drive the comets to a decent level, or would you order a non capped from one of the on line retailers if so which one? ( I am not planning on changing the iem's ) Question 2 Or would you go for a Shanling M3 ultra over the 306.?
97db/mW and 48 Ohm will be no issue.

My IER-M9 have 103db/mw and 20 Ohm and there is no audible hiss at all (and i am very sensitive to that, i can hear the hiss with other IEM).

So you should be safe

May 22, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #3,220 of 4,163
97db/mW and 48 Ohm will be no issue.

My IER-M9 have 103db/mw and 20 Ohm and there is no audible hiss at all (and i am very sensitive to that, i can hear the hiss with other IEM).

So you should be safe
In that case, seeing as I would only use it in the garden and on an occasional train journey, I reckon there would be no need for the M3 ultra would you concur?

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #3,221 of 4,163
https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/1301/v1/en/contents/TP1000735013.html

Using the High-Res streaming function​

You can enjoy music streaming from online music services in high sound quality.
    [Settings] - [Sound] - [High-Res streaming].
  3. Tap the switch to turn on the [High-Res streaming] function.
    Music streamed using apps other than “Music player” is played in the following quality.
    • [Use High-Res streaming] is on:
      Up-converted playback at 192 kHz/32 bit
    • [Use High-Res streaming] is off:
      Down-converted playback at 48 kHz/16 bit
So if I’m using poweramp in Its own hi res mode… is Sony going to down-convert my high res files if I have high-res streaming off?
I wasn’t aware of this option but would like to turn it off to save more battery, but not if it’s going to down-convert my hi res files played on poweramp.

May 22, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #3,222 of 4,163
So if I’m using poweramp in Its own hi res mode… is Sony going to down-convert my high res files if I have high-res streaming off?
I wasn’t aware of this option but would like to turn it off to save more battery, but not if it’s going to down-convert my hi res files played on poweramp.

What does Poweramp say under Audio -> Audio Info?

May 22, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #3,223 of 4,163
What does Poweramp say under Audio -> Audio Info?
Realized “high-resolution streaming” was already shut off in my case. The hi res option in poweramp is already upsampling to 192/32.

Another question. If I have all the Sony sound stuff turned off do I need to still toggle direct? Or is that pointless if nothing is engaged anyway?

May 23, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #3,224 of 4,163
Hello esteemed A306 users. I've got an icon in the top right that i don't know what it is. It's on the left of the standard battery icon and looks like a horizontal battery with an arrow under it? I'd post a pic here if i knew how to, but I don't :weary:

May 23, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #3,225 of 4,163
Hello esteemed A306 users. I've got an icon in the top right that i don't know what it is. It's on the left of the standard battery icon and looks like a horizontal battery with an arrow under it? I'd post a pic here if i knew how to, but I don't :weary:

https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/1301/v1/en/contents/TP1000735084.html

Extending the battery lifespan​

The [Battery Care] function reduces deterioration in the battery's performance by limiting the maximum charging capacity of the battery.
    [Settings] - [Battery] - [Battery Care].
  3. Tap the switch to turn the function on.
    Battery care icon
    will appear in the status bar.

Note​

• When the function is turned on, the maximum charging capacity is limited, and the battery will not fully charge. This is not a malfunction.
  • While the function is turned on,
    Battery care icon
    will appear in the status bar even when the battery is not charging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back