New Sony PHA-2A portable DAC
Jan 3, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #198 of 244
Has anyone had any luck getting this running properly on Windows without a driver?

Would love to use it on my work computer but I don't have the access required to install drivers. Was hoping it'd be USB class compliant but it doesn't look like it is.

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #199 of 244
Has anyone had any luck getting this running properly on Windows without a driver?

Would love to use it on my work computer but I don't have the access required to install drivers. Was hoping it'd be USB class compliant but it doesn't look like it is.
You need driver. May I suggest getting a used A35 to feed this amp? Should cost much more than $125 for a used one.

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #202 of 244
Are u looking for an audiophile cable? Amazon had plenty of 6" lighting charging cables.

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #204 of 244
Feb 11, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #206 of 244
cheers but a bit steep just bought a couple of amazon, see how they go!
With my pha-2a I use the Meenovs 6 inch and 4 foot micro usb to lightning cable. With the Meenova cable the Apple cck adapter is not needed

I stopped using the usb A on the pha-2a to lightning on my phone because when I do that it charges my phone which kills the pha-2a battery. Do others have this same issue?

Apr 7, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #207 of 244
20190405_011228fgjsr.jpg

I've finally gotten the chance to put some real time on this, trying out my different headphones and amps, and seeing where it stacks up to my other gear.

I basically have two tiers of amplifiers at my disposal: my high end, like my WA2 and Marantz HD-DAC1, and my entry level, like my Little Dot 1+ and Magni 2. With basically all my headphones, even through single-ended output, this leans more toward the high end. It's really remarkable, actually. Funnily enough, one of the main headphones I use to determine where an amp falls in this spectrum is my DT770 Pro 80. For whatever reason, they love high quality amps, despite being easy to drive. The Magni 2 has enough power to push them with ease but there seems to be something going on in that amp that doesn't play nice with some of my headphones, and it's very obvious with the DT770 Pro. With the PHA-2A, it's like I'm listening out of my Marantz. Clean, controlled, and spacious.

Most of my headphones are effortless out of this, with no issues with volume on the normal gain setting. The DT1770, the Z1R (obviously), the T5p, all getting the love they deserve from this amp. The LCD-2C and K612 prove to be more of a challenge. At least run in single-ended, these seem to demand a little more than the amp can comfortably provide. The LCD-2 loses a fair bit of control, and the K612 simply can't get to high volumes with the normal gain. I suspect running balanced would do wonders for both, but that's not an option for me with the K612, and I don't intent to spend any money on cables for the LCD-2C since I plan on trading/selling them. It's probably a little much to expect this to power those, though, as the K612 is notoriously hard to drive, and planar magnetics typically require higher wattage than other headphones.

Definitely a great amp in my book. A solid way to have proper high-end audio on the go.

Apr 8, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #208 of 244
With the PHA-2A, it's like I'm listening out of my Marantz. Clean, controlled, and spacious.

Most of my headphones are effortless out of this, with no issues with volume on the normal gain setting. The DT1770, the Z1R (obviously), the T5p, all getting the love they deserve from this amp.

Definitely a great amp in my book. A solid way to have proper high-end audio on the go.

Aside from Z1R, I’ve tried different set of cans — MDR-1AM2 for balanced, HD800S, NIghtHawk Carbon for SE — but my impressions appears to be mostly in line with yours. I feel that as long as the (admittedly short) battery hours is acceptable, this can be a surprisingly decent choice.

Apr 10, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #209 of 244
20190405_011228fgjsr.jpg

I've finally gotten the chance to put some real time on this, trying out my different headphones and amps, and seeing where it stacks up to my other gear.

I basically have two tiers of amplifiers at my disposal: my high end, like my WA2 and Marantz HD-DAC1, and my entry level, like my Little Dot 1+ and Magni 2. With basically all my headphones, even through single-ended output, this leans more toward the high end. It's really remarkable, actually. Funnily enough, one of the main headphones I use to determine where an amp falls in this spectrum is my DT770 Pro 80. For whatever reason, they love high quality amps, despite being easy to drive. The Magni 2 has enough power to push them with ease but there seems to be something going on in that amp that doesn't play nice with some of my headphones, and it's very obvious with the DT770 Pro. With the PHA-2A, it's like I'm listening out of my Marantz. Clean, controlled, and spacious.

Most of my headphones are effortless out of this, with no issues with volume on the normal gain setting. The DT1770, the Z1R (obviously), the T5p, all getting the love they deserve from this amp. The LCD-2C and K612 prove to be more of a challenge. At least run in single-ended, these seem to demand a little more than the amp can comfortably provide. The LCD-2 loses a fair bit of control, and the K612 simply can't get to high volumes with the normal gain. I suspect running balanced would do wonders for both, but that's not an option for me with the K612, and I don't intent to spend any money on cables for the LCD-2C since I plan on trading/selling them. It's probably a little much to expect this to power those, though, as the K612 is notoriously hard to drive, and planar magnetics typically require higher wattage than other headphones.

You really should try balanced out of this amp. I also like mine quite a bit. Gotta love the fact that it has 4.4 mm TRRRS connector. Very convenient.. Still, I rate the PHA-3 as being better. The PHA3 is more spacious with greater sense decay to my ears with more enveloping sense of soundstage. Power wise, they are identical. The 2A has a pass-thru charging function to the connecting walkman player while the 3 is more power hungry and doesn't offer that pass-thru function. Highly recommend using a good USB cable to bring the best performance out of this little guy. The supplied walkman digital cable is hardly cutting it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back