New Sony PHA-2A portable DAC
Feb 16, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #211 of 244
It’s a shame no one talks about this little dac/amp anymore, I think it’s quite underrated and sounds really nice when paired with the right IEM. I find my Z5 & N3’s actually sound better to me with the PHA-2A than they do with the TA-ZH1ES, WM1Z or my FiiO Q5s.
F27BAFF5-19B0-4498-8992-6C5D4E6A6EE9.jpeg

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #212 of 244
Hi !

Does anyone know if the PHA-2A is fully compatible with the ZX2 ? I read that the audio out via USB in not possible with the ZX2 because of AX2’s android version...

TThanks a lot !

May 10, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #213 of 244
Hi !

Does anyone know if the PHA-2A is fully compatible with the ZX2 ? I read that the audio out via USB in not possible with the ZX2 because of AX2’s android version...

TThanks a lot !

The ZX2 works for me without any problems. :)

May 11, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #215 of 244

That’s a good new ! Thanks a lot !

May 19, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #216 of 244
'go one. Coupled with a ZX2, it works great with an HD800S even in SE output.

After one day, and without doing a rigorous A/B comparison, to my ears it delivers the same overall sonic signature than the ZX2 but seems to improves sligthly the sound quality : it seems the PHA-2A delivers mids with air / weight. It is a very pleasant sound: sweet but also with a lot of details. Not as transparent as I expected but for a transportable device, it is just great.

I'm looking forward getting a balanced cable to see if it improves the sound quality on the HD800S.

Also fine with my Iphone (to use with streaming plateforms) ! I have to find a micro usb - lightning cable to avoid charging the iphone when plugged into the amp.

May 19, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #217 of 244
'go one. Coupled with a ZX2, it works great with an HD800S even in SE output.

After one day, and without doing a rigorous A/B comparison, to my ears it delivers the same overall sonic signature than the ZX2 but seems to improves sligthly the sound quality : it seems the PHA-2A delivers mids with air / weight. It is a very pleasant sound: sweet but also with a lot of details. Not as transparent as I expected but for a transportable device, it is just great.

I'm looking forward getting a balanced cable to see if it improves the sound quality on the HD800S.

Also fine with my Iphone (to use with streaming plateforms) ! I have to find a micro usb - lightning cable to avoid charging the iphone when plugged into the amp.

Nice! Sounds like a great setup.

Looking forward to your impressions again once you’ve got the balanced cable :)

May 20, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #218 of 244
Sure, I will.

Otherwise, anyone know how to dissassemble the amp to change its battery ?
I Wonder if there are not any screws "hidden" behind the 4 plastic pods….

May 24, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #219 of 244
Can this amp be used while charging?

May 24, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #220 of 244
Apparently yes though the charge will be slower

Jun 1, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #221 of 244
Apparently yes though the charge will be slower
Cool. Might consider this to pair with my 1A. Maybe a 1Z down the road. Does it make a difference with the IER-Z1R? My other source would be a Windows PC

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #223 of 244
Pairing this with a WM1A would be a downgrade and totally unnecessary for the IER-Z1R.
Weird. I read 3 consumer reviews with 2 saying it works with the MDR-Z1R and one saying it works with the IER-Z1R. How was your experience with it?

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #224 of 244
Weird. I read 3 consumer reviews with 2 saying it works with the MDR-Z1R and one saying it works with the IER-Z1R. How was your experience with it?

It will work, however it will be a downgrade from the WM1A. It uses a different DAC to the WM1A/Z. The PHA-2A was the first DAC/Amp I bought shortly after buying the IER-Z1R & MDR-Z1R. I personally think it pairs better with MDR-Z1R and/or darker sounding IEM's as it's got a brighter, more analytical sound signature compared to the walkman. With the IER-Z1R, I found the treble to sound a bit grainy and harsh compared to the WM1Z. It doesn't sound bad, but I wouldn't recommend it if you already have a WM1A.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #225 of 244
It will work, however it will be a downgrade from the WM1A. It uses a different DAC to the WM1A/Z. The PHA-2A was the first DAC/Amp I bought shortly after buying the IER-Z1R & MDR-Z1R. I personally think it pairs better with MDR-Z1R and/or darker sounding IEM's as it's got a brighter, more analytical sound signature compared to the walkman.
Makes sense. Wonder if it would work with the MDR-1AM2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back