New Sony PHA-2A portable DAC
Sep 1, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 244
Definately interested in this. Here is some more information from the singapore website:

https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/headphone-amplifiers/pha-2A#product_details_default

Doesnt list many usable specs like output and which dac its using though.

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 244
accessoryjack has it for sale, there's an amazon listing from japanese exporters as well

the amazpn description is a bit of a letdown though... I wonder why they haven't made one of thes PHA models with S-Master?

High quality DAC (ES9018K2M), high-quality headphone amplifier (TPA6120) equipped ● The DA converter, adopted ES9018K2M from the point of view of the S / N and anti-jitter performance. In addition, the voltage amplification part, has adopted a high-quality LME49860

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #8 of 244
Does anyone know if these DACs are ASIO compatible? I'd like to use them with a laptop for music production purposes, in addition to listening while at work.

Quote:
accessoryjack has it for sale, there's an amazon listing from japanese exporters as well

the amazpn description is a bit of a letdown though... I wonder why they haven't made one of thes PHA models with S-Master?

I guess I'm old school in that I don't mind at all that they've used the analogue LME49860 for amplification.

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 244
I wonder why they haven't made one of thes PHA models with S-Master?

I'd be willing to bet that the eventual successor to the PHA-3 will use some form of the S-Master HX and/or D.A. Hybrid technologies that are used in their flagship Signature Series TA-ZH1ES desktop DAC/amp.

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 244
Nearly 3 months since this thread was started, now readily available for around $400 via Amazon Prime... Anybody have some listening impressions?

Particularly interested in:

-Quality of the balanced output vs standard 3.5mm

-If the overall sound signature is at all similar to the ZX2

Thanks!

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #12 of 244
I have no doubt that they are ASIO compatible. I have used them with Audirvana Plus which is an ASIO derived driver on the mac that bypasses Core Audio. It also allows using the highest res modes directly and integer mode, things of this nature, ultimate control. 

This stuff that sony has been coming out with is great. They are also Apple MFI certified.

Jan 3, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 244
Nearly 3 months since this thread was started, now readily available for around $400 via Amazon Prime... Anybody have some listening impressions?

Particularly interested in:

-Quality of the balanced output vs standard 3.5mm

-If the overall sound signature is at all similar to the ZX2

Thanks!

I'd love to know too !!

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #14 of 244
Also I noticed that the iPod Classic is not supported, at least according to the released documentation. This is a bit of a bummer, however I'm hoping compatibility wasn't mentioned simply because the classic is "obsolete", not because it won't work.

Anyhow I'll try it with the classic and report back.

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #15 of 244
Also I noticed that the iPod Classic is not supported, at least according to the released documentation. This is a bit of a bummer, however I'm hoping compatibility wasn't mentioned simply because the classic is "obsolete", not because it won't work.

Anyhow I'll try it with the classic and report back.

Please do! And even if it doesn't work with the Classic, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how it sounds with your other sources!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back