New Sony PHA-2A portable DAC
Feb 4, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #171 of 244
Well, There are some comparison between the 2A and the 3 if he'll just read back a few pages. My own comparison:

" I did borrow a 3 from a friend before I bought the 2A and I felt that it colors the sound (bass and highs) (I know every DAC does, but it seems to have gone a bit overboard on the 3). I found the 2A much more neutral (not flat but not to the 3's extreme) when compared to my pink noise EQ'ed KEFs I used at home."

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #174 of 244
I've read further back that it can't be charged and used at the same time, is this definitely the case? Seems unusual as the other Sony models and other brands usually can - just wondering if there was driver problem or something else that has been since rectified?

Jul 24, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #176 of 244
Just snagged a PHA-2A from eBay and am really enjoying it, especially with a native 4.4mm port. Believe it or not, a small portable DAC with a 4.4mm is actually pretty rare! Took a chance on this to complement my TA-ZH1ES and am very pleasantly surprised. If I had to describe the sound quality of the PHA-2A, it would be clean. I don't hear any emphasis on bass or any overly sparkly treble, just a very accurate and neutral presentation. Great flexibility with the high, normal and low gains as well, given my usage is all IEMs. Listening with my Earsonics S-EM9 right now and these are sounding great with impactful and controlled bass, detailed, clear mids and the extended, technical treble that these are known for. Overall, for around the $400 mark I am very impressed. It's not a "basshead" device and I don't think sources should be. Just a very clean, detailed sound with an extremely black background. Even my most sensitive IEMs produce no audible hiss.

@tim0chan I know you were interested in impressions, so feel free to PM me if I missed anything.

-Collin-

Jul 26, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #177 of 244
I just bought the PHA-2A and I already have the PHA-3. Will need to burn in the 2A for a few more days before a true comparison can be made. On initial listening, I found the 2A to be more neutral but also more upfront with less soundstage width and depth than the PHA-3. Bass is slightly less round with less bass bloom than the 3. Also I notice a little more air on the PHA-3 and slightly more precise instrument placement.

Jul 28, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #178 of 244
Want to add that the 2A is more neutral to the source compared to the PHA-3. The 3 is slightly darker tonally making it a more relaxed listening session with the HD800, but I could see that the 2A is better suit for bassier phones such as the Z1R & Z7.. I still prefer the PHA-3 overall given that I find the PHA-3 a little more resolving displaying better sense of space and air in the recording. The soundstage size is bigger and deeper than the 2A as well. Still, I find the PHA-2A to be quite incredible for the price. if possible, I would audition both before purchase given that the 2A may pair better with your choice of headphones. My PHA-2A still has less than 100 hours so hopefully it will continue improve. Will report back. Love the pass through charging to the DAP/phone feature on the PHA-2A!

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #180 of 244
Any reason to get this if you already own the 1Z Walkman and the Z1R headphones? Would there be any benefits from the amp if you already run the high gain output from the Walkman?

I need 2 DAC, Home, on the go and office so I use the 2A at home, the ZX300 while on the go and at the office. I'll probably pick up another 2A so I won't have to use the ZX300 with PC and can just leave it in the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back