SONY NW-ZX500
Oct 12, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #5,701 of 8,639
It does partner quite well. Although it's a bit too transparent, I wish it had more of that tube sound to it..

Thanks. Shame about it not being as ‘tubey’ as it could be (the 507 sending LDAC to the Cayin N3Pro sounds really good btw).

Mine’s a Euro unit and I’ve not hit any issues with the volume cap yet but I like the idea of the BA300 in case I get any gear that tops out that volume cap.

Oct 12, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #5,702 of 8,639
Thanks. Shame about it not being as ‘tubey’ as it could be (the 507 sending LDAC to the Cayin N3Pro sounds really good btw).

Mine’s a Euro unit and I’ve not hit any issues with the volume cap yet but I like the idea of the BA300 in case I get any gear that tops out that volume cap.

If you are looking for more power check out the ifi zen series - it has 4.4mm input i believe which will work nicely with the zx. Not sure if the BA300 is worth what it costs if I'm honest, but it does add something to the sound, not always for the better though.

I have the n3pro - the tube stage does sound more tubey to me than the BA300s... but i feel it's DAC lets it down and I just start craving for the nice clean and focus sound from my ZX507..

Oct 12, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #5,703 of 8,639
If you are looking for more power check out the ifi zen series - it has 4.4mm input i believe which will work nicely with the zx. Not sure if the BA300 is worth what it costs if I'm honest, but it does add something to the sound, not always for the better though.

I have the n3pro - the tube stage does sound more tubey to me than the BA300s... but i feel it's DAC lets it down and I just start craving for the nice clean and focus sound from my ZX507..

The form factor of the Oriolus is a big draw but if it’s not sounding too good.....Been offered a good deal on a pico portable power amp

Oct 12, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #5,705 of 8,639
Oct 12, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #5,706 of 8,639
Hello friends! I have a 505 model with firmware 2.02 and I am very pleased with the sound. direct sound settings. And I have a question for you: are the changes in the sound in the new firmware not worse than now? I've read a lot of good reviews, but haven't met anyone who didn't like the sound in the new firmware. Is it so? can i go back to 2.02 if i don't like the new firmware? Thank you for your advice and I apologize if my English is not very grateful - I tried. :)

Oct 12, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #5,707 of 8,639
The form factor of the Oriolus is a big draw but if it’s not sounding too good.....Been offered a good deal on a pico portable power amp
I have ba300s and I think it is a wonderful addition. Its like the vinyl processor but much better overall. Not a huge change in sound, and unlike some portable amps I've had in the past, it doesn't lose the detail the player had prior to connecting ting to the amp. Sound is warmer, lows are deeper, its not a huge change but it is absolutely noticeable and worth it,, IMO, and I certainly have a desire to use it all the time with the zx507.

Oct 12, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #5,708 of 8,639
After doing some searching on this thread, I'm led to believe that MQA files on Tidal are not completely unfolded on the ZX507 despite it being an MQA renderer. Am I correct?

Can the ZX507 also do core decoding? (i.e. first unfold of an MQA track like MQA enabled software such as Tidal does).

Here is a very useful chart I took from one of Hans Beekhuyzen's videos that really clarified MQA technology for me. I highly recommend his Youtube channel.

MQA.JPG

Beekhuyzen, Hans. [Hans Beekhuyzen]. (2018, July 6). Unfolding MQA: how to play MQA [Video]. YouTube.

MQA is overrated. also, FYI MQA isn't a lossless format.

ZX500 fully unfolds MQA to whatever limit the engineer intended. could be 24/96 max unfold all the way to 384. Depends on what's encoded in the file.

I have Studio Masters in Flac 24bit/48 that sound fantastic vs MQA version of the same album via Tidal.
For streaming, yes it's a good format but that's about it...my 2 cents.

Oct 13, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #5,709 of 8,639
I have ba300s and I think it is a wonderful addition. Its like the vinyl processor but much better overall. Not a huge change in sound, and unlike some portable amps I've had in the past, it doesn't lose the detail the player had prior to connecting ting to the amp. Sound is warmer, lows are deeper, its not a huge change but it is absolutely noticeable and worth it,, IMO, and I certainly have a desire to use it all the time with the zx507.

That's what I thought at first but then I realised i lose bit of punch in the bass (even if it sounds a bit more wooly) and there's bit of glare and etch in the lower treble... it's subtle, perhaps it doesn't have enough power to drive my HD650 properly

Oct 13, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #5,710 of 8,639
Ultra is ok, about similar to Samsung EVO. The only one really standing out is that extreme Pro
I just stumbled into this thread and was quite surprised about the micro sd card comparisons. I ask you because I trust you (and your ears) ... so this isn’t a joke? You also hear differences between micro sd cards?? If so, is this only with this Sony DAP or other DAPs, too? Because I have an ultra in my DAP and am now contemplating if I should get an extrem pro in the Future because I would need one anyways. Thanks.

Oct 13, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #5,711 of 8,639
I just stumbled into this thread and was quite surprised about the micro sd card comparisons. I ask you because I trust you (and your ears) ... so this isn’t a joke? You also hear differences between micro sd cards?? If so, is this only with this Sony DAP or other DAPs, too? Because I have an ultra in my DAP and am now contemplating if I should get an extrem pro in the Future because I would need one anyways. Thanks.

I hear no difference, even with sd card removed and using internal storage, sounds the same to me... i though I heard something at first but then realised it's expectation bias and my mind was playing tricks on me

Oct 13, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #5,712 of 8,639
I dont think @Whitigir with his vast knowledge and insight with high end audio gears including modifying hardware and firmware over the many years on headfi will be making a joke post about hearing a difference in microsd card.

Regarding the MicroSD, I would go with Evo from Samsung all day long. They are the first one in the industry to address the Close cell interferences issues. Coincidentally, Sony did release Audiophile quality MicroSD to address noises that could generate from the MicroSD itself :wink:. Those are technical and science.

Could you hear the differences ? Up to you . But that is the reason why I would go with Evo line

I will not touch Lexar again....the thing died on me out of the blue...just one day pulling out from my drawer and it is dead....

Burn in shouldn’t effect the Memory card....many people has been skeptical about burn in, but engineers know it existence, and it seems to come down to atomic sizes of the materials that contribute upward into “tolerances”. The larger the constructions as a whole and the tighter the precision = the longer it takes to burn in

What is burn in ? Well....you can call it operational conditions and parameters drift. There are 3 periods that these drifts are especially huge. The beginning of the life cycle (first few operations or hours), the operational and stable cycle (during these time, drift parameters are stable and remained so for such a long period), the end of life cycle (where these drifts are hugely being effected just as the first cycle)

Take example from battery packs....you cAn read and learn about them

Why memory card won’t be effected ? Because it was engineered to last, to be accurate, to remain error frees...etc....even down to each cells in nAno meter in sizes. Yes, it will drift once it get to the end of life cycle, but it was engineered to last for so long.....and it would be done burn in when it started dying out....in a sense ... drift parameters can Not be effecting storage mediums otherwise the world would be messed up.

In storage security, there are period of recommendation time frame to transfer all storage to new data storages. This is to secure the accuracy and losses of data. This is why you are seeing maintenance everywhere from Cloud to Google and Gaming servers....even Facebook and tweets.

Why ? Because burn in

What is burn in ? Because Drift parameters

Other headfiers have heard differences:

Sandisk Extreme Pro 400GB showed up in the HK Computer Mall stores (Shum Shui Po, -Golden Computer City) for a very reasonable price, HKD600 (USD75), so I picked one up to try. I hesitated, as I wanted a bigger card, and had no experience/conviction about whether it was worth getting, even though there are quite a few write ups about how the flash memory card can affect the audio playback sound, it somehow still did not feel real to me, so I flip flopped about getting it or not. Finally decided to try one, as I could always use a 400GB card in one of my other DAPs. (ZX300, ZX507)

So I formatted it in the WM1Z, and copied the 350GB of music from the old card onto it, and gave it a listen to see if I could sense any difference. I'll admit I did not expect much, other than the suspicion that that there might be a slight difference which would be hard to quantify.

Well, I am in shock.

The first think noticed was that bass was more solid and deeper. Continuing on, vocals had more micro detail, and voices had a clarity and purity in low level detail that was not present before. Sound was more immersive and emotive. PRAT/rythms better. The sound felt "live", compared to with the old MicroSD cards (Sandisk and Transend regular Class 10 cards). It is a significant upgrade to the sound, of a magnitude equivalent to a mod.
Let me quantify, though, that the differences may be considered small, but to me, are ultra important, as this is the area that I am interested in, and my system is aimed at, so to me, it is very significant, as it moves the music to be more involving, toe-tapping, musical. The differences I observe are felt, rather than measured. My gauge is whether it can pull me in, and I enjoy the music, and keep listening, without being bored, or losing attention. And I start to notice details in vocals, and a clarity, that I had not heard before. And I think I am hearing better Micro Dynamics (an Aminus term). And God forbid, that it does not put me to sleep, or leave me bored and not paying attention to the music, as has happened on some systems/music.

My theorizing about what is happening is that it has reduced the noise in the system, and as this is in the guts of the system, a reduction of noise has a major effect, to reduce the noise floor, and free up the processor, amps from the extra work of handling the noise, which the extra bass is a symptom of. And allows more micro details to be present, as it is not being masked. The effect is a more transparent and open sound, like a layer of graininess has been removed.

The equivalent that I can think of is when reducing the noise on the AC power in a home audio system. And then wondering how a change on the AC power resulted in stronger bass, better voice details, etc.....

After also trying the Exteme Pro on the ZX507 for awhile, I went back and got another 400GB card. It was a no-brainer purchase that I had no trouble justifying, to equip both main DAPs with the Extreme Pro MicroSD card. It is a bonus that the card is reasonably priced, and I would probably get it even if it cost more, after trying it out.

Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #5,713 of 8,639
MicroSD cards do effect sound quality, but it is to a lesser degree than “upgraded cables” would do. It effects all player but more with Sony players.
Give it a try, you may like it (the differences) or you may not care about it.

Oct 13, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #5,714 of 8,639
MicroSD cards do effect sound quality, but it is to a lesser degree than “upgraded cables” would do. It effects all player but more with Sony players.
Give it a try, you may like it (the differences) or you may not care about it.
thanks, will give it a try. SanDisk extrem pro is still the best in your mind?

edit: also, is it always best to listen from the internal memory?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back