SONY NW-ZX500
Oct 10, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #5,686 of 8,639
The WM1A is just over 50% more expensive than the ZX507 here. :frowning2: Makes the decision a little easier for me I guess.

Yep, while the WM1A has a bit greater power output, and excellent battery life, as it doesn't run Android.

Oct 10, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #5,687 of 8,639
The WM1A is just over 50% more expensive than the ZX507 here. :frowning2: Makes the decision a little easier for me I guess.

from what I’ve read here I don’t think anyone considers the wm1a to be an upgrade to the 507. One does not outclass the other, three have different sound signatures and focuses. Sounds like each does some things better.

Oct 10, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #5,688 of 8,639
from what I’ve read here I don’t think anyone considers the wm1a to be an upgrade to the 507. One does not outclass the other, three have different sound signatures and focuses. Sounds like each does some things better.
I've been eyeing up the ZX507 for a while. I'm not fussed about streaming though so the WM1A would probably be the natural choice for me, functionality-wise at least. But the price puts me off. Then there's the A55, which I'm finding hard to resist after reading about MrWalkman's FW mods.

Oct 10, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #5,689 of 8,639
I've been eyeing up the ZX507 for a while. I'm not fussed about streaming though so the WM1A would probably be the natural choice for me, functionality-wise at least. But the price puts me off. Then there's the A55, which I'm finding hard to resist after reading about MrWalkman's FW mods.

yeah I think it depends on priorities. I already have a bigger flagship DAC so I prefer the form factor of the 507. I also have a 300 that can take advantage of mrwalkman’s great mods, so that’s not a huge deal breaker on the 507. Hopefully one day it can be modded! :wink:

Oct 10, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #5,690 of 8,639

You wont be disappointed and the freedom of so many tuning possibilities its great!

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #5,691 of 8,639
So my Unique Melody MEST (Universal) came in yesterday. been listening for a few hours and this has to be the perfect pairing with the ZX500 Series. Sounds amazing on the DX160 as well. It's like sitting in a sphere of sound. everything is excellent from the lowest bass (When available in a song) excellent mids and treble, width, height, the 3D depth, and never gets harsh.

The most detailed IEM I've listened to yet presents the sound in a relaxed way. The bone conductor driver must be what sets this apart from the rest. it's like you can also feel the music.

Sound presentation is big like listening to a pair of headphones vs an IEM.

If you can afford it. this is an endgame type of sound paired with the lovely ZX505/7 Walkman.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #5,693 of 8,639
@DJ Core wondering what output are are you using with the MEST? I think stock cable comes with 3.5mm single-ended? High or low gain?

It's doubtful I get new IEMs any time soon, but if I suddenly relent, it will be for something like the MEST.

I got the 3.5 but I have a 4.4 Silver+ Copper cable on the way from a different seller.
I also ordered 4.4 Gold plated pins so I can change the stock $400 (according to the UM website) cable from 3.5 to 4.4

My library has never sounded this good (Hi-Gain). The same songs sound bigger, 3D + detailed in a way I've never heard them before. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.
Even songs I used to skip sound so good I just let them play all the way thru.

My LG phone drives it very well too due to MEST high sensitivity 118db and 14 ohms

I'd suggest you get it asap if you got the funds before they sell out again. Most of your IEMs will become redundant.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #5,694 of 8,639
LoL I am sorry but I am super busy with listening to my zx507 + my new iems u12t !
The paring is so good that I am just lost in music with my favorite Spotify 🥰😇😊

Today I like my music in direct source. I found it to be more relaxing and intimate as experience, lets call it cozy 😁

I also found out that dsee hx ai Ultimate dont work well with classical music as it changes to many notes and not so good. Dsee hx is best for pop edm or anything that is low res or poorly recorded but this isn't a case for classical music. Those are in super high quality recordings and methods so no dsee for that for me.

I am at around 120 hours on my zx507 and it sounds just so much better then at start.
More fluid efficient sound flow. More extensions. More bass precisions. Smootger treble...

So far its very good my poor 1a is equal or inferior to zx507. And I been a/b so much!

Any ways, zx507 wins for me as for best streaming sound quality, compact, light, has both of both worlds stream&local.

Sony did a lot of improvement to os stability, still few bugs are present like the volume can get bugy displaying the preset sometimes. Or small delays can occur but good thing is it never affects sound quality and 0 interruption.

Will keep testing daily, so far sound is really good and sounds like a flagship to me or at least there with them
Glad you are loving your A12t's in all my research they came out as dollar for dollar the best all round CIEM that's why i purchased under the advice from the boys at Minidisc in Sydney, if you:L3000::jecklinsmile::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: have time to try them with the effect Audio Leonidas II cables they will blow your mind!!, loving my ZX507 too best purchase ever made to date in the black hole of this obsession.

Oct 11, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #5,695 of 8,639
I'm mostly an IEM guy, but my latest new toy is Senn HD660S. These are some lovely combination with my ZX507. I`m switching back and forth with M11 Pro. The Sony is super detailed, crisp and precise compared to FiiO. The FiiO is meatier, more organic and lush, but feels a bit wobbly compared to Sony (you can only tell this if you are switching back and forth, M11 Pro is super good on its own). Also, I think the Sony needs the DSP processing to really shine (DC Phase as well), because S-master can sound a bit too digital and thin without these, but when I enable these it comes closer to the usual sound of DAC+AB amp combos without loosing detail.
Also it drives these phones without any issue. The volume is at around 80 low gain. To be honest I never used high gain ever even with HD800s. (hd800s at 90, ier-m9 at 65, fh7 and fh3 at around 40-45, all low gain, but mind you I'm super sensitive to loud noises, if I go 5-10% louder than these will hurt my ears)

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #5,696 of 8,639
I'm mostly an IEM guy, but my latest new toy is Senn HD660S. These are some lovely combination with my ZX507. I`m switching back and forth with M11 Pro. The Sony is super detailed, crisp and precise compared to FiiO. The FiiO is meatier, more organic and lush, but feels a bit wobbly compared to Sony (you can only tell this if you are switching back and forth, M11 Pro is super good on its own). Also, I think the Sony needs the DSP processing to really shine (DC Phase as well), because S-master can sound a bit too digital and thin without these, but when I enable these it comes closer to the usual sound of DAC+AB amp combos without loosing detail.
Also it drives these phones without any issue. The volume is at around 80 low gain. To be honest I never used high gain ever even with HD800s. (hd800s at 90, ier-m9 at 65, fh7 and fh3 at around 40-45, all low gain, but mind you I'm super sensitive to loud noises, if I go 5-10% louder than these it will hurt my ears)

I do find my ZX507 a bit harsh sounding with my HD650.. it needs +7db sub bass boost, DC phase and some eq drop around 4khz to calm it down a bit..i attribute this to the amplifier not having enough power reserves, as otherwise it's calmer sounding with IEMs. It's not a bad combination however..

Oct 11, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #5,697 of 8,639
So, is there a way to reflash firmware or unlock EU 507 model to get high gain, or it is still impossible?

Oct 11, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #5,698 of 8,639
After doing some searching on this thread, I'm led to believe that MQA files on Tidal are not completely unfolded on the ZX507 despite it being an MQA renderer. Am I correct?

Can the ZX507 also do core decoding? (i.e. first unfold of an MQA track like MQA enabled software such as Tidal does).

Here is a very useful chart I took from one of Hans Beekhuyzen's videos that really clarified MQA technology for me. I highly recommend his Youtube channel.

MQA.JPG

Beekhuyzen, Hans. [Hans Beekhuyzen]. (2018, July 6). Unfolding MQA: how to play MQA [Video]. YouTube.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #5,699 of 8,639
Same happened to me. I enjoyed being able to feel the machined metal of the DAP with the Sony case cutouts. However, I also use the BA300S with it sometimes and having the case folded open and then the amp banded to it, was a bit much. The Benks case is really nice feeling rubber, and I can still use the buttons without looking. I've been using the Benks exclusively for about a month now.

Does the BA300S partner well with the 507?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back