SONY NW-ZX500
Oct 13, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #5,731 of 8,639
This!

If your not carful the hobby will just evolve into trying to pick minor difference in new equipment convincing yourself it is better rather than just different and cost you big cash. You become addicted to change for change sake, like some women (or men) with new hair/bag/shoes each week, a treat, consumerism in full flow.
That is exactly what I was trying to say!!!
Hi, sure I test everything myself. As said, I‘d need a new sd card anyways, so why not try if it’s an audible difference with the extreme pro? It won’t hurt my wallet. Besides, I am no newbie anymore and know exactly what I want/need and what for I spend my hard earned money. But thanks :)
Then with all means, give it a try, you may like it!! But remember not to get too involved in it and lose your goal !!! To enjoy music !!

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #5,732 of 8,639
I agree that Sandisk extreme pro is the best consumer sd card for sq, I have tried all brands. I use the industrial version which is another step ahead in sq but many times more expensive and limited to 64gb for optimal performance. I discovered this many years ago when using other daps and haven't thought about it since, it's not a big deal, but if you are looking at buying a new sd card I highly recommend sandisk over samsung or lexar etc.

Oct 13, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #5,734 of 8,639
I agree that Sandisk extreme pro is the best consumer sd card for sq, I have tried all brands. I use the industrial version which is another step ahead in sq but many times more expensive and limited to 64gb for optimal performance. I discovered this many years ago when using other daps and haven't thought about it since, it's not a big deal, but if you are looking at buying a new sd card I highly recommend sandisk over samsung or lexar etc.
Now only if it (industrial) can go upto 512Gb

Oct 13, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #5,736 of 8,639
I hope that after such entertaining disputes, my message will not go unanswered.

shadale said:
Does anyone know how to come back from firmware V3_00_07 to the previous V2_02_01?
The answer is NO, not as far as we know. But maybe there is some wiggle room to this hard NO. Users have reported being able to sideload load different region FW, all the same release. i.e. 3.0 CN to 3.0 U. Other users have reported being unable to replicate this.

If the sideload IS possible, and it means the Sony internal check that blocks the upgrade can fail, and allow the FW update to proceed, if tried often enough, then maybe the same method can load an older release. In essence, from what I read, the method is to do a factory reset, WiFi off, copy the FW you want to internal memory, and try to update. If it fails, repeat the full process and try again, multiple times, and it may succeed one of the times.

Myself, I have not had enough of a reason to try, so can only report this as "I heard that ....".

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #5,737 of 8,639
The answer is NO, not as far as we know. But maybe there is some wiggle room to this hard NO. Users have reported being able to sideload load different region FW, all the same release. i.e. 3.0 CN to 3.0 U. Other users have reported being unable to replicate this.

If the sideload IS possible, and it means the Sony internal check that blocks the upgrade can fail, and allow the FW update to proceed, if tried often enough, then maybe the same method can load an older release. In essence, from what I read, the method is to do a factory reset, WiFi off, copy the FW you want to internal memory, and try to update. If it fails, repeat the full process and try again, multiple times, and it may succeed one of the times.

Myself, I have not had enough of a reason to try, so can only report this as "I heard that ....".

It may be that the update files are just upgrading files inside the player, and they don't contain the standalone firmware like the firmware updates for A30/A40/A50/WM1/DMP-Z1.

Oct 13, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #5,738 of 8,639
You sure you're not just experiencing confirmation bias? ie more expensive must sound better.

Oct 13, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #5,739 of 8,639
I just stumbled into this thread and was quite surprised about the micro sd card comparisons. I ask you because I trust you (and your ears) ... so this isn’t a joke? You also hear differences between micro sd cards?? If so, is this only with this Sony DAP or other DAPs, too? Because I have an ultra in my DAP and am now contemplating if I should get an extrem pro in the Future because I would need one anyways. Thanks.
Don't waste your money.

I took the 3.5mm output from the 507 into a Sony PCM-D100 recording at 24/96 and recorded the signal, with 4 different selections. I did the test with internal memory, one card formatted by the 507, same brand/model formatted by the SD association tool, and other brands of cards. They all came out the same when compared in Audacity. The same. Four tests, the same.

Oct 13, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #5,740 of 8,639
I managed to get an used A105 (red, excellent condition) for about 150 EUR.

I'm curious if I can manage to get something to work, but I can't promise anything. Nevertheless, I'm curious about how these Android players are.

Don't waste your money.

I took the 3.5mm output from the 507 into a Sony PCM-D100 recording at 24/96 and recorded the signal, with 4 different selections. I did the test with internal memory, one card formatted by the 507, same brand/model formatted by the SD association tool, and other brands of cards. They all came out the same when compared in Audacity. The same. Four tests, the same.

That could mean that any potential difference is really really small. Some people could hear that, if it exists, but microSD cards should be the last thing we should think about when considering improving the sound quality - just my opinion.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #5,741 of 8,639
That could mean that any potential difference is really really small. Some people could hear that, if it exists, but microSD cards should be the last thing we should think about when considering improving the sound quality - just my opinion.
In the realm of audio compression and reproduction, I'm all for ABX tests. If someone can't hear the difference, any differences don't really matter. It's the age old thing of "I need to have my 24/96 organically sourced FLAC from "X". BTW, 320 Kbps MP3 is crap!" ABX it. If you have the storage space, eh, whatever, but to claim one is superior without being able to actually hear a difference, that's a no-go from me.

Conversely, with this microSD thing, a change, if there is one, can be measured. I did just that and there's no difference. I took my own bias out of the equation. I'm of the school of thought that if a claim is made that claim should be able to be proven true. Or, in this case proven false.

microSD cards last. Yes, I agree with that. If anything, purchase a really good one for the speeds it can sustain when transferring files, though not just benchmark speeds.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #5,742 of 8,639
You sure you're not just experiencing confirmation bias? ie more expensive must sound better.

Nope, I have also compared equal cost sd cards, samsung evo plus, lexar 633x, toshiba exceria, sony sr64uxa, sandisk extreme pro. It's a minor difference. I first realized the difference between sd cards when using a QLS QA360 dap.

In the realm of audio compression and reproduction, I'm all for ABX tests. If you can't hear the difference, any differences don't matter. It's the age old thing of "I need to have my 24/96 organically sourced FLAC from "X". BTW, 320 Kbps MP3 is crap!" ABX it. If you have the storage space, eh, whatever.

Conversely, with this microSD thing, a change, if there is one, can be measured. I did just that and there's no difference. I took my own bias out of the equation. I'm of the school of thought that if you claim something you should be able to prove it. Or, in this case disprove a claim.

microSD cards last. Yes, I agree with that. If anything, purchase a really good one for the speeds it can sustain when transferring files, though not just benchmark speeds.

If you were open minded you would also consider that maybe the difference requires a specific test to measure the effect which has not been standardized. Two headphones with the same frequency response can still sound completely different, but when you measure spectral decay you find out why. Your test only proves one aspect, it does not determine anything conclusively, nor does my opinion.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #5,743 of 8,639
Don't waste your money.

I don’t waste my money, no fear. As said, I need a sd card anyways. Also: many guys said the same about cables. I did compare upgrade cables and found out, that for me, the extra money was worth investing. But I don’t want to derail this thread any longer. @Whitigir was so kind to give me answers to all my questions. Thanks again!

Oct 13, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #5,744 of 8,639
I don’t waste my money, no fear. As said, I need a sd card anyways. Also: many guys said the same about cables. I did compare upgrade cables and found out, that for me, the extra money was worth investing. But I don’t want to derail this thread any longer. @Whitigir was so kind to give me answers to all my questions. Thanks again!
Sound debate aside, if you're in the US the Sandisk Extreme cards are on sale both on Amazon for Prime Day and B&H. I just ordered the 512 GB for $79.99 so I can cram more movies on my tablet AND that happens to be a very fast card.

Oct 13, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #5,745 of 8,639
Sound debate aside, if you're in the US the Sandisk Extreme cards are on sale both on Amazon for Prime Day and B&H. I just ordered the 512 GB for $79.99 so I can cram more movies on my tablet AND that happens to be a very fast card.
Where did you find that? On Amazon the regular extreme only goes to 256 that I can find and the 512gb extreme pro are 119.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back