SONY NW-ZX500
Aug 27, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #4,517 of 8,639
Aug 27, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #4,519 of 8,639
Is the ZX507 a really warm dap? I have an Empire Ears Phantom and am looking for an a new dap. I am open to anything in price from SR25 through Lotoo Paw Gold Touch.

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #4,520 of 8,639
Aug 27, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #4,522 of 8,639
@ttt123 have you updated to the latest firmware?

If so, do try these modes on Walkman music app:

1. Hi res streaming Off, direct source On

2. Hi res streaming Off, DSEE HX On

3. Hi res streaming On, direct source On

4. Hi res streaming On, DSEE HX On

Each of these mode has its own unique sound. I can't decide which is better. I would like to know your opinion on which you like best.

Aug 27, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #4,524 of 8,639
Interesting thing happened. I connected my Sony to my Mac to update the FW via download and transfer. Presto! the wifi system update started as soon as I plugged in the cable. Hmmm....

254B1111-E3C3-447B-8917-E549A04EF062.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #4,525 of 8,639
Been listening to the ZX507 with the MDR-1AM2 on balanced.

Hi-res Streaming On, DSEE HX, Type B low.

I am really impressed with the way that the bass is presented in this new firmware. Now it feels closer and it sounds more like a wall of deep rumbling home theater subwoofer kind of bass.

The soundstage is all around you. It's very enveloping, its like as if you are sitting inside a cinema with Dolby Atmos surround system kind of feeling.

Aug 27, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #4,526 of 8,639
Yes, Copy to root folder via AFT. it'll update fine as long as you have a charge of 60-99%. Turn Wifi off.
Thanks! How does one do a factory reset? Does it wipe out all data?
The thing about Google is that they have been doing a lot of background activity/Data collection behind our backs. All these will interfere with the performance of the Walkman. Once you disable them, you will find the UI interface more fluid and also free up the processor to do more signal processing for your music instead of working for Google to spy on you.

Yes it’s worth updating to new firmware. Although Sony only says it’s a security patch, I don’t feel it is so simple as just that. Sound has changed for the better.

They have also added Sound Adjustment inside Setting > Sound
will I be able to use those "google apps" after I disable them?
by the way how gpu 2d ON impacts the battery life?
and question about JP vs Int FW further down.
So how do I change from Japanese firmware to International? (I'm a Mac user) Just download the .upg file, use Android File Transfer to copy the .upg to the main internal storage folder and try to update? Will it even be able to update with wifi turned off? I assuem if I turn wifi on and try to update, it will simply download the JP firmware, and ignore the international firmware I copied over to the DAP?
What is the point of going from JP FW to international FW?
what is the difference between them?
I have a JP model, thus I assume it's JP fw.
however, how can u check if my assumption is right?

Aug 27, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #4,527 of 8,639
I don't see why you need to use any google apps(other than YouTube) on your Walkman.

I don't think GPU acceleration will have significant impact on battery life. The speed gain is worth it.

Aug 27, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #4,528 of 8,639
I don't see why you need to use any google apps(other than YouTube) on your Walkman.

I don't think GPU acceleration will have significant impact on battery life. The speed gain is worth it.
I understand u, but what "disabling" does to those google apps? I won't be able to open them in the future?
and what about FW? I need answer now. I with to update as soon as possible, and same time dont miss possibility of switching to Int FW if needed.
what is difference between JP and Int FW?

Aug 27, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #4,529 of 8,639
It just removes them from running in system memory. You can always reEnable to gain access back to these google apps.

I think the Japanese firmware has two Japanese streaming apps included. I don't think there's any other differences.

Please do share your impressions of the new firmware.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #4,530 of 8,639
Been listening to the ZX507 with the MDR-1AM2 on balanced.

Hi-res Streaming On, DSEE HX, Type B low.

I am really impressed with the way that the bass is presented in this new firmware.
I tried these settings on my 1AM2 as well. Very Nice! I tried them on my older MDR-1A phones, but I preferred Direct Source: ON with those since the DSP made the bass too boomy.

That made me think how much the Sony DSP is phones/IEMs dependent. For example I find the IER-M9 sounds best with Hi-res Streaming on, DSEE HX On, and Type A low. But the IER-Z1R sounds best with Direct Source: On.

My choice of DACs before getting the ZX507 (Topping NX4 DSD, RME ADI-2 DAC, FiiO M11 Pro) shows I have a preference for neutral, uncolored, low-distortion DACs (and if I can choose the filter I select Linear Phase Fast equivalents if available). so it’s no surprise I prefer the ZX507 with settings that make the music sound the same as when played through my other equipment. For the most part, that means DirectSource: On.

I enjoy playing around with the permutations of the DSP settings with my different phones/IEMs, but when I’m just listening and not experimenting, I’m still inclined to just keep the ZX507 on Direct.

But I love reading other people’s preferred settings with their phones/IEMs though, and trying them out.

Cheers,
Gus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back