SONY NW-ZX500
Oct 1, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #316 of 8,639
This vs dx160 hmmm and what about m11 pro ? That just got out.

Dang so many daps and all released at same time lol
I will stick to my HiBy R6 Pro due to the versatile power usage. Balanced 750mw @32. That is as powerful as my Chord Hugo 2 (but 3.5mm single ended) .

I think only the Kann matches that as a standalone non-modular dap.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #318 of 8,639
I'm a total homer. No way I can be reasonable with a new Sony DAP. I have been waiting so long...

Now zx500 +oriolus gota be really good.

Oct 1, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #319 of 8,639
My advice, just get a dap that suits you and has the features you want. Even the so called 'mid range' daps sound fantastic. You're not get exponentially better sound for more $$$ these days.

With Sony, you know the firmware will be solid and it will be quality. If I didn't stumble across the R5 I'd probably be buying this because I like Sony gear. I will be demo-ing it though for sure :) But honestly performance wise I don't think it's going to eclipse say the m11, r5, m6, dx160 etc.

I say that based on the fact that the two I've listened to (m11, r5) sounded very similar to wm1a. And I would be surprised if this sounded any different.

Not taking anything away from Sony, they have good battery life and are rock solid. I'm just saying there are some other very good more economical choices. :wink:

Still waiting for a true anniversary model though.

Oct 1, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #321 of 8,639
When I heard zx300 for the first time I was impressed and had a positive impression. When I heard wm1z for first time had no special impressions just oh ok thats how a 3k dap sounds oh well it sounds good you know.

But I still own 1 haha.

The new anniversary dap is going to be called gold diamonds Z1R and will cost 5 grand!

My advice, just get a dap that suits you and has the features you want. Even the so called 'mid range' daps sound fantastic. You're not get exponentially better sound for more $$$ these days.

With Sony, you know the firmware will be solid and it will be quality. If I didn't stumble across the R5 I'd probably be buying this because I like Sony gear. I will be demo-ing it though for sure :) But honestly performance wise I don't think it's going to eclipse say the m11, r5, m6, dx160 etc.

I say that based on the fact that the two I've listened to (m11, r5) sounded very similar to wm1a. And I would be surprised if this sounded any different.

Not taking anything away from Sony, they have good battery life and are rock solid. I'm just saying there are some other very good more economical choices. :wink:

Still waiting for a true anniversary model though.

Oct 1, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #322 of 8,639
When I heard zx300 for the first time I was impressed and had a positive impression. When I heard wm1z for first time had no special impressions just oh ok thats how a 3k dap sounds oh well it sounds good you know.

But I still own 1 haha.

The new anniversary dap is going to be called gold diamonds Z1R and will cost 5 grand!

Ha ha :) well actually 1z does sound different to me. I just can't open the pocketbook and the colour, no.

Oct 1, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #323 of 8,639
Does any one know what are the concrete specs of zx500? Like snr thd crosstalk?

I know sony dont like to post specs lol but I wana still know this )

Oct 4, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #324 of 8,639
It's possible disable the Streaming Apps
Makes my decision very easy...Sticking with the WM1A.
Hopefully Sony does not go the Android route for the next WM series. If they would just focus on Sound Quality and leave the streaming etc behind, it will be a Day 1 Purchase for me.

Exactly I hate streaming and Android, I'm so disappointed with the NW-ZX500. But why you think they will NOT add Android to the next WM? I bet they do :frowning2:

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #325 of 8,639

Exactly I hate streaming and Android, I'm so disappointed with the NW-ZX500. But why you think they will NOT add Android to the next WM? I bet they do :frowning2:

Based that zx1 and zx2 was Android, then zx100 and zx300 were Sony own os, presumably the successor to zx500 which should be zx700 should be still Android OS, then expect be 2023 when zx900 is released, it could be Walkman os again.

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #326 of 8,639
Based that zx1 and zx2 was Android, then zx100 and zx300 were Sony own os, presumably the successor to zx500 which should be zx700 should be still Android OS, then expect be 2023 when zx900 is released, it could be Walkman os again.

I have a different opinion, it had been a long time since the ZX2 and people like me always regretted that they purely dropped the android route... that and the market is pushing as well so basically they need to occupy this field and it’s good for those who want the Sony sound signature in a android DAP...

I am quite convinced the successors to 1A and 1Z will still take a little while to come and when they do they won’t be android based.
I might be wrong, of course....

Oct 5, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #327 of 8,639
some videos of zx500 and nw-a100

Gota say it looks snapy fast ui very good

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #328 of 8,639
I think Sony didn't make Android DAP after the ZX2 because android was really not good. But now Android is pretty good and the market is trending towards streaming. And as evidence as with other DAP makers, Sony wants to join in the party and making a comeback with the A100 and ZX500.

I'm sure they will still make a purely DAP with no Android OS but it'll be really niche I'm sure. Maybe even just releasing one after a while (since their current zx300, 1a and 1z are already good and not need an upgrade anyway)

Oct 5, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #329 of 8,639

Nobody force you to stream, you can install Neutron and use it as offline player now with streaming as bonus. The thing I hate about Android it's one big Google spyware. I wish Sony would use just custom open source linux or dualboot like ibasso

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back