SONY NW-ZX500
Sep 23, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #286 of 8,639
To be honest, I personally don't understand why people regard the DTA or bypassing the SRC as it is the most important thing. It is not.

The ZX2, which I had for more than 2 years, was an awesome sounding player and it didn't have any SRC bypassing while using streaming apps. I don't think people should give this much weight on this DTA thing. In the end, the important thing is the overall SQ and Sony hasn't disappointed since the ZX2.

In addition, I see some posts about the DMP-Z1, and about why Sony doesn't use real DAC chips on their portable Walkmans. The DMP-Z1 is a whole different project and it uses completely separated circuit boards for digital section and the analog section assembled in a very special chassis. Even the volume pot of the Z1 was specially produced for Sony team. For doing such a thing you need a big space and that's why it's a huge DAP. For portable Walkmans, Sony's Class D design is the best solution for the R&D team since it provides good battery life without heating and it also helps to keep the design small.

So I don't see a reason for them to switch to a different design for the Walkman players because it would basically mean that Sony giving up the benefits of this design, which is the exact reason many people choose Walkmans. Once they go with the traditional solution, they won't have any advantage over the competitors.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #287 of 8,639
Well since the ZX2 streaming has gone hi res so it does have an importance that it didn't have when only 16bit/44kHz 320kbps was the max quality...

Sep 23, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #289 of 8,639
I've listened MQA tracks with the ZX2. Still better than many daps.

No argument there, it has been one of my all time favorites if not for its lack of power (especially EU version).
Also why I love the idea of the ZX500

Sep 23, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #290 of 8,639
No argument there, it has been one of my all time favorites if not for its lack of power (especially EU version).
Also why I love the idea of the ZX500
Exactly. So in the end people should trust their ears for the general SQ. No DTA in a 800$ device is surely a minus, but that doesn't mean it will play mediocre.

Sep 23, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #291 of 8,639
Exactly. So in the end people should trust their ears for the general SQ. No DTA in a 800$ device is surely a minus, but that doesn't mean it will play mediocre.

No but just that it's a shame not to implement it as it could sound even better :p

Sep 24, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #292 of 8,639
I will hold my SE100 and wait and see how they will come with an "2A" and a "2Z"... no SCR bypass was a big downside for me.

By I definitely want a "Sony Tunning" DAP. Heard the 1A and 1Z before and loved, unfortunately all my songs are from Streaming Apps (offline mode)

Sep 24, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #293 of 8,639
How do you transfer your music from a Mac to it.
All my CD’s are ripped in lossless AIFF format [62.3 GB IN TOTAL].

I have no idea how to transfer it to this device and there are no videos that show how to do it.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #294 of 8,639
I will hold my SE100 and wait and see how they will come with an "2A" and a "2Z"... no SCR bypass was a big downside for me.

By I definitely want a "Sony Tunning" DAP. Heard the 1A and 1Z before and loved, unfortunately all my songs are from Streaming Apps (offline mode)
Why is that unfortunate as doesn’t the NX-500 run the TIDAL HIFI App?

Sep 24, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #295 of 8,639
Why is that unfortunate as doesn’t the NX-500 run the TIDAL HIFI App?
It does, actually. But it does not bypass SRC. So I will wait to see if the big brothers will bypass it and then decide.

Sep 24, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #296 of 8,639
How do you transfer your music from a Mac to it.
All my CD’s are ripped in lossless AIFF format [62.3 GB IN TOTAL].

I have no idea how to transfer it to this device and there are no videos that show how to do it.
Plug the DAP into the Mac, making sure the SD card is in it and has been formatted in the player. In Finder, you should see two new drives: the Sony and the SD card. On the SD card, there will be a folder named Music. Transfer your albums/songs into that folder, then eject the card, then the Sony, and you're good to go. The folders should be in this format: Artist > Album > Songs + the album art named exactly like the album folder. Hope this helps.

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #297 of 8,639
I find it insane that consumers who couldn't make their way around a balance sheet /income statement will readily make this excuse for a company. It always reminds me as a financial professional that if you get into trouble, let consumers explain it away for you.
It should be obvious, but 99.9% of consumers have no clue about the margin a company needs. If they did, they'd be working in financial departments of companies, instead of their job doing xyz task.

Hilarious that other guys are able to use more expensive parts than Sony, charge less, and yet consumers will still make excuses for Sony.

If you don't regularly tear apart a company annual/quarterly filing, aren't familiar with even a summary prospectus, etc. You shouldn't comment on this subject. I don't know why people are so eager to make excuses for companies that you have zero ownership of. Don't own stock of the company but more than ready to make excuses for them.

Fiio m11 is one of the most popular daps right now and doesn't have a full android src bypass.

It doesn't matter if you use uapp, or other bit perfect apps. It does if you like flexibility though.

Considering how many people already bought android daps previously, and use an android stack, I don't think it will hinder Sony.

They could use a bottom tier processor and Android src and people will still buy.

Sorry but I am not making excuses as a consumer but I sold very high end audio gear for many years. I have had the chance to deal directly with Sony sales reps and know the market from a different perspective. Sony has chosen to go inhouse for most of their components and thus incur a higher development cost than Chinese DAP makers who outsource everything and just put it together. I don't necessarily think Sony does it the right way if they have to charge more than other DAP makers for similar products. You either like Sony's approach and will pay more for their products or like me look for better bang for the buck from other manufacturers.

So not making any excuses, this is a very small market with alot of competition and Sony doing its own thing hurts them when it comes to innovation and design. Basically rehashing the same products with minimal to know change in components and relying on marketing jargon to make it sound more appealing. I dare say Sony DAP's would be cheaper if they followed the same formula as the other DAP makers but they have chosen not to for better or worse.

Sep 25, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #298 of 8,639
Sony products are known to stand the test of time even their vaio laptops when it was their brand which I have 3 and still use with no hardware issues except internal hard drive which is not manufactured by them.
Although Sony uses most of their components, in their dap market it’s their batteries that are rendering their walkmans useless. I wish they would allow users to replace batteries that are not only easily available but also easy to access.
Heck, I love the WM series walkmans, their UI is just impeccable but in the long run I don’t think the batteries will hold enough charge to make it portable anymore and I’m saying 10 years from now. I don’t need the latest and greatest but I do like and want to keep what I own.
Sorry but I am not making excuses as a consumer but I sold very high end audio gear for many years. I have had the chance to deal directly with Sony sales reps and know the market from a different perspective. Sony has chosen to go inhouse for most of their components and thus incur a higher development cost than Chinese DAP makers who outsource everything and just put it together. I don't necessarily think Sony does it the right way if they have to charge more than other DAP makers for similar products. You either like Sony's approach and will pay more for their products or like me look for better bang for the buck from other manufacturers.

So not making any excuses, this is a very small market with alot of competition and Sony doing its own thing hurts them when it comes to innovation and design. Basically rehashing the same products with minimal to know change in components and relying on marketing jargon to make it sound more appealing. I dare say Sony DAP's would be cheaper if they followed the same formula as the other DAP makers but they have chosen not to for better or worse.

Sep 25, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #299 of 8,639
Sony products are known to stand the test of time even their vaio laptops when it was their brand which I have 3 and still use with no hardware issues except internal hard drive which is not manufactured by them.
Although Sony uses most of their components, in their dap market it’s their batteries that are rendering their walkmans useless. I wish they would allow users to replace batteries that are not only easily available but also easy to access.
Heck, I love the WM series walkmans, their UI is just impeccable but in the long run I don’t think the batteries will hold enough charge to make it portable anymore and I’m saying 10 years from now. I don’t need the latest and greatest but I do like and want to keep what I own.

Sony Japan is still offering battery replacement services for their F800 series walkmans which are now 7 years old. If you change the batteries of the WM1 at something like the 5-6 year mark I would guess they would last your past the 10 year mark.

Sep 25, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #300 of 8,639
Yes, but how easy is it do many yourself.

In 3 years ZX500 will be obsolete and useless as ZX700 will have the newer android system.

Meanwhile those who spent $800 dollars now can sell the ZX500 for $300 in 3 years for some newer caps and android system.

Sony abandoning there android ZX2 without any update but still it’s for sale on their official site and bringing out a ZX500 makes no sense.

Sony Japan is still offering battery replacement services for their F800 series walkmans which are now 7 years old. If you change the batteries of the WM1 at something like the 5-6 year mark I would guess they would last your past the 10 year mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back