SONY NW-ZX500
Sep 5, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #76 of 8,639
If they figured out how to bypass android with this "advanced audio technology" then they may have a winner with this DAP.

Sep 5, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #77 of 8,639
Lol, I love Sony too, but I think the zx300 was less dorky looking, and I really like the look of the A100. But I'll probably drive myself nuts and try the ugly duckling zx500.
What part about the ZX500 do you not like? Not trying to start an argument, just curious about what you think

Oh crap, never thought of that.
How come Hi-Res wouldn't work in other apps, and what is Android SRC?

It's almost criminal that the ZX500 is the same power rating as the ZX300. 200mw @ 16ohm is ridiculous at that price point. And now that it's running Android the only advantage that Sony had over its' Chi-Fi competition is now gone too, battery life. I'm a Sony fanboy, I mean just look at the gear in my sig, but I'm very much disappointed in this news.
I suppose it is rather odd they stuck with a rather low output, but it doesn't bother me personally as I have sensitive ears. Though if you think about it increasing it will considerably impact battery life even more. 20 hours is definitely a decrease but it still seems to be slightly better than the competition I think

Sep 5, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #78 of 8,639
US price I recon will be 899.00 dollars. Fiio m11 pro with thx aaa will be 699.99 I believe. I actually got hiby r5 recently for 399.99 and it's very nice, very compact which I love.

Imo fiio m11 at 450 is a really good deal. But Sony is Sony, I wonder how much new A100 will be?

Sep 5, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #79 of 8,639
What part about the ZX500 do you not like? Not trying to start an argument, just curious about what you think

I suppose it is rather odd they stuck with a rather low output, but it doesn't bother me personally as I have sensitive ears. Though if you think about it increasing it will considerably impact battery life even more. 20 hours is definitely a decrease but it still seems to be slightly better than the competition I think

Oh, I just don't like the way the bottom is rounded and I wish it was less long and didn't have the part below the screen. I'm sure it will be nice, just the aesthetics I'm not crazy about. I'm liking it, not loving it.

src is down sampling done by android.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #80 of 8,639
sample rate conversion... for example without Hiby's DTA, hi-res audio would be converted to the native sample rate provided in Android.. 16/44 16/48 etc

Sep 5, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #81 of 8,639
Sep 5, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #82 of 8,639
US price I recon will be 899.00 dollars. Fiio m11 pro with thx aaa will be 699.99 I believe. I actually got hiby r5 recently for 399.99 and it's very nice, very compact which I love.

Imo fiio m11 at 450 is a really good deal. But Sony is Sony, I wonder how much new A100 will be?
Oh, I just don't like the way the bottom is rounded and I wish it was less long and didn't have the part below the screen. I'm sure it will be nice, just the aesthetics I'm not crazy about. I'm liking it, not loving it.

src is down sampling done by android.
Ah I see, yeah the bottom chin is indeed bit odd but it's a good place to rest your thumb I suppose. As for the A100, if you do some conversions from the European prices it equates to near $400 so maybe that? Actually seems like an interesting R5 competitor. If you check out the A100 please do share a comparison!

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #84 of 8,639
Ah I see, yeah the bottom chin is indeed bit odd but it's a good place to rest your thumb I suppose. As for the A100, if you do some conversions from the European prices it equates to near $400 so maybe that? Actually seems like an interesting R5 competitor. If you check out the A100 please do share a comparison!

Don't get me wrong it's not hideous, lol it just doesn't look quite as symmetrically as zx300 did. But I'm sure looks better in person, or after a few beers :wink:

Nope, if A100 is that much, no way I'd buy it, that's just too much for an A series. Plus r5 has 550mw @32 ohms in balanced and the battery life is pretty good, it sounds top tier. Hopefully it's more like 275.00.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #85 of 8,639
Don't get me wrong it's not hideous, lol it just doesn't look quite as symmetrically as zx300 did. But I'm sure looks better in person, or after a few beers :wink:

Nope, if A100 is that much, no way I'd buy it, that's just too much for an A series. Plus r5 has 550mw @32 ohms in balanced and the battery life is pretty good, it sounds top tier. Hopefully it's more like 275.00.
Honestly I was quite surprised when I did the conversion myself. I really hope it's cheaper too. ZX500 seems more expensive as well at around $900 but it seems to have a decent improvement such as the chassis and more capacitors so I have hope for it

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #86 of 8,639
We are the last to get walkmans here, even Euroupe gets them sooner. If I really want one sooner, there is always the tourist model, or Asia Pacific model. Accessory Jack is good for those models.

Oh and we only got silver here for zx300.

Don't remind me about the colors, it sucks that black isn't available in the US as that's the one I prefer. Definitely will purchase from Accessoryjack if I do get one though, as that's what I did for my ZX300

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #87 of 8,639
Honestly I was quite surprised when I did the conversion myself. I really hope it's cheaper too. ZX500 seems more expensive as well at around $900 but it seems to have a decent improvement such as the chassis and more capacitors so I have hope for it

900 is high, but expected since zx300 is 700 dollars and doesn't do streaming. I know A100 does android, but I'm assuming there is no balanced out and the power output is going to be less, so 400 seems steep.

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #89 of 8,639
cassettes.jpg
Came across this list of cassettes that the ZX500 has for it's screensaver feature. I'm assuming the cassettes that represent files like FLAC and DSD are higher quality cassettes that Sony used to sell in the past?

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #90 of 8,639
sample rate conversion... for example without Hiby's DTA, hi-res audio would be converted to the native sample rate provided in Android.. 16/44 16/48 etc
If this issue isn't fixed in the sony dap, I see no real benefit of it vs the confirmed snapdragon daps that do have hiby dta like the r5, r6, r6 pro,, Shanling m6, and cayin n5ii. That should cover most people's needs and dac pixie dust preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back