SONY NW-ZX500
Sep 5, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #35 of 8,639
Exactly, I wonder how long it last with balanced out, android, wireless streaming and screen on. Such as YouTube...etc.. LOL

I’d say probably a bit more than most android based player, they did compromise on screen size this should pay off on battery life.
Usage probably won’t be all wifi, if they like me use Tidal mostly offline with a big memory card then it should be ok.

About marketing lies... they do provide playtime depending on format :wink:

1F96BD58-1E26-4ABE-8D3B-D971626BAFB9.jpeg

Sony is rather accurate in the advertised play time contrary to other manufacturers...
No quick charge is a downer though in this day and age...

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #37 of 8,639
Being Sony everyone now should be knowing their stuff is overpriced.
But with that comes reliability, longevity & quality.

I just wish they would market cheaper balanced iems and daps in the $200 range instead of each year releasing gear in +$500 mark.

Maybe an IER-M1 ($45) and a ZX-A1 ($100)

Sep 5, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #39 of 8,639
One of the problems with this DAP will be exactly the same as the ZX2 - music apps from the play store will down sample to 44k 16bit. There’s no reason for me to upgrade from the ZX300, as having Android and being able to use other source apps provides no benefit over the stock app.

Sep 5, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #40 of 8,639
I’d say probably a bit more than most android based player, they did compromise on screen size this should pay off on battery life.
Usage probably won’t be all wifi, if they like me use Tidal mostly offline with a big memory card then it should be ok.

About marketing lies... they do provide playtime depending on format :wink:

Sony is rather accurate in the advertised play time contrary to other manufacturers...
No quick charge is a downer though in this day and age...

Well, DMP-Z1 doesn’t advertise to have quick charge. However, it does as in practically it can charge up from 0% into 75% in just 1 hour with a powerful linear power supply. Stock charger can do 0% into 50% in 90 minutes

Sep 5, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #42 of 8,639
Knowing how cheap Sony is, this must have some of the cheapest SoC available to buy, probably even worse than that crap Chinese manufacturers put in Android DAPs like Snapdragon 425/430. If I'm wrong I'll be positively surprised.

Sep 5, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #44 of 8,639
One of the problems with this DAP will be exactly the same as the ZX2 - music apps from the play store will down sample to 44k 16bit. There’s no reason for me to upgrade from the ZX300, as having Android and being able to use other source apps provides no benefit over the stock app.
I don't think this is accurate.
Otherwise, how could it support MQA files/streaming?

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #45 of 8,639

This is way past now, most android DAPs can support higher rates, R6 Pro had it, DX220 has it and FiiO as well has implemented this... MQA support should indeed make this a thing of the past...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back