SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Apr 11, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #1,441 of 2,453
I pair my A35 with a Sony MUC-M2BT1 and XBA-N3 most of the time and I have not connected to my iPhone for a while. I just used the MUC-M2BT1 with the iPhone to watch a concert and I notice that the iPhone shows a little battery symbol next to the headphone and BT symbols that shows the battery left on the MUC-M2BT1. Is there such a feature on the A35. It would seems odd that Sony does not support that feature on their own product while the iPhone does. Anyone using any of the Sony BT product with their A35?

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #1,442 of 2,453
hi,
it does show a small battery icon when i connected my 950bt. pretty handy and was surprise aswell.
what constitute as HIRes ? i have some flac and wanted to listed to them but when i go to the Hirez icon i can only see a few of them. Is there a way for a30 to recognize all the flac as hirez. thanks.

I pair my A35 with a Sony MUC-M2BT1 and XBA-N3 most of the time and I have not connected to my iPhone for a while. I just used the MUC-M2BT1 with the iPhone to watch a concert and I notice that the iPhone shows a little battery symbol next to the headphone and BT symbols that shows the battery left on the MUC-M2BT1. Is there such a feature on the A35. It would seems odd that Sony does not support that feature on their own product while the iPhone does. Anyone using any of the Sony BT product with their A35?

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #1,443 of 2,453
what constitute as HIRes ? i have some flac and wanted to listed to them but when i go to the Hirez icon i can only see a few of them. Is there a way for a30 to recognize all the flac as hirez. thanks.

It sounds like any file with quality greater than 16 bits / 44.1Khz is considered as hi-res.

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #1,444 of 2,453

It sounds like any file with quality greater than 16 bits / 44.1Khz is considered as hi-res.
I have some files that are 16/88.2 and they are catalogue as Hi-res

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #1,445 of 2,453
hi,
it does show a small battery icon when i connected my 950bt. pretty handy and was surprise aswell.

Damn! It looks like a "N" to these old eyes and I thought it shows that NFC is on............. ;-(. Thanks,

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #1,446 of 2,453
Yesterday I did a brief comparison of my A35 against the NH1 minidisc walkman and the NH1 came out on top due to having more power in the amp: the music is more dynamic.  I'll have to have more of a fiddle with the sound settings on the A35 to see if it can compensate, if not then I suspect that my Fiio amp could do so to some degree, but I'd rather not need the amp to get better sound.

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #1,447 of 2,453
Which headphones do you use? Something harder to drive sounds bad the A Walkman.I use it Sonys own EX series of iems and must say I do like it.
Yesterday I did a brief comparison of my A35 against the NH1 minidisc walkman and the NH1 came out on top due to having more power in the amp: the music is more dynamic.  I'll have to have more of a fiddle with the sound settings on the A35 to see if it can compensate, if not then I suspect that my Fiio amp could do so to some degree, but I'd rather not need the amp to get better sound.

Apr 13, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #1,448 of 2,453
Question: are the new NW-A30 Series players better at reading tags in audio files than the A17 series?

I ask because I have an A17 and mostly like it, but it hasn't had a firmware update in some time and I am noticing that every one of my MP3 files (a) doesn't have any album art on the Walkman and (b) some of them are listed out of order (i.e. the Walkman can't read the ID3 tags correctly).

I've tried retagging with both Tag and Metadactics (I'm on a Mac), but this is getting ridiculous. I've also had problems with AIFF files on the player (same issue - tag reading issues).

My FLAC and AAC files seems to OK.

Thanks, in advance.

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #1,450 of 2,453
  Question: are the new NW-A30 Series players better at reading tags in audio files than the A17 series?

I ask because I have an A17 and mostly like it, but it hasn't had a firmware update in some time and I am noticing that every one of my MP3 files (a) doesn't have any album art on the Walkman and (b) some of them are listed out of order (i.e. the Walkman can't read the ID3 tags correctly).

I've tried retagging with both Tag and Metadactics (I'm on a Mac), but this is getting ridiculous. I've also had problems with AIFF files on the player (same issue - tag reading issues).

Thanks, in advance.

often the problem with tags is that sony wants id3 tag v2.3 and not above. honestly the 2.3 is the universal one even today on DAPs.
for covers, you can put pictures under several tags even have several in one file, sony doesn't like that. also if you really put a gigantic cover it might not show. but a little tag management always solved any issues I encountered over the years. for aiff can't say I never use that in DAPs.

for all those stuff you can blame sony, or you can blame apple. both are adept at doing everything to lock people into their own eco system.

Apr 13, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #1,451 of 2,453
I have multiple songs that are 44.1kHz / 16bit @ 1411 kbps that does not constitute as hires on A30, but my other songs that are 44.1kHz / 24bit @ 2116 kbps are consider as hirez.. Both of them are flac files. Is there a way for a30 to recognize the lower bit like 16bit as Hires. I just want to listem to all of my hires music in random without skipping the normal 320kbps mp3 music.

I have some files that are 16/88.2 and they are catalogue as Hi-res

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #1,452 of 2,453
I have multiple songs that are 44.1kHz / 16bit @ 1411 kbps that does not constitute as hires on A30, but my other songs that are 44.1kHz / 24bit @ 2116 kbps are consider as hirez.. Both of them are flac files. Is there a way for a30 to recognize the lower bit like 16bit as Hires. I just want to listem to all of my hires music in random without skipping the normal 320kbps mp3 music.

The walkman has a Hi-res category in the library (where all songs, artista, Albums, composer etc is)

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #1,453 of 2,453

often the problem with tags is that sony wants id3 tag v2.3 and not above. honestly the 2.3 is the universal one even today on DAPs.
for covers, you can put pictures under several tags even have several in one file, sony doesn't like that. also if you really put a gigantic cover it might not show. but a little tag management always solved any issues I encountered over the years. for aiff can't say I never use that in DAPs.

for all those stuff you can blame sony, or you can blame apple. both are adept at doing everything to lock people into their own eco system.

I was not aware of that; will be helpful, later on. Thanks for that.

I ended up transcoding my MP3s to AAC and that mostly solved the problem. I had to re-scale some images to fix a handful of holdouts.

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #1,454 of 2,453
Which headphones do you use? Something harder to drive sounds bad the A Walkman.I use it Sonys own EX series of iems and must say I do like it.

I used my Sennheiser PX 100 IIs, which aren't hard to drive, they're designed as portable headphones.  Anyway, it shouldn't matter which headphones are used as long as they're the same used on both players in the test.

It's not that I don't like the output from the A35, I do.  SQ is overall extremely good and I think it's more detailed than anything else I've ever used, but it has less "oomph" than the NH1.

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #1,455 of 2,453

Thanks, in advance.

and if you have troubles with your álbum arts check my thread walkman tips and tricks here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back