SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Sep 16, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #106 of 2,453
  For the Asian market it seems to be good to go for an October launch but who knows for the US market.

Here in the US they took their sweet time to launch the A20 series and so far the A30's are not on the sony US site as being available soon so I won't hold my breath for an October US launch.

From what I recall of the a15 series we got it in the uk around end of October beginning of November.  Whether that holds true this time who knows. 

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #107 of 2,453
The menu/UI on my A15 is adequate, but is rather simplistic and sometimes frustrating to use. What are the touchscreen models like to use? 

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #108 of 2,453
  The menu/UI on my A15 is adequate, but is rather simplistic and sometimes frustrating to use. What are the touchscreen models like to use? 

If you have a look through this thread near the beginning, there's a short video clip.  It's pretty much as you'd expect.

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #109 of 2,453
  INTERESTING! Hope the price difference is not too much. Ill totally grab this if it is not too expensive. 

I really hope they solved this issue. I doubt it though. Will probably still be using Media Go right?

Yeah I would guess so, I use MediaGo to transfer my tracks to my A17.  MediaGo has a cool feature called throwing which allows me to play music in Media Go and send it via ethernet or wifi to my Sony STRDN860 receiver.  I really love this feature as Sony's DLNA interface on their receivers is terrible. 

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #110 of 2,453

If you have a look through this thread near the beginning, there's a short video clip.  It's pretty much as you'd expect.

It looks like Sony has prettied up the interface somewhat, it seems like it will be easier to navigate via touchscreen than the physical buttons on the A17 and A20 series.  It will be interesting to see how responsive the touchscreen is, I have never been a fan of touchscreens.

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #112 of 2,453
  If I remember correctly, we did not get the A20 series until earlier this year so let's see what Sony US will do for the A30.

I am hoping Sony's decision to exhibit at CANJAM at the Rocky Mountain Music Festival in Colorado in October is a sign that they are starting to pay more attention to the North American market.  With any luck it will lead to earlier releases for products here.

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #114 of 2,453
If you own a Black A15 and a Pink A25 would you still consider getting this A30? 
Looks like a bit of a down grade?

I alternate between the A15/25 when the batteries die. 128GB SD card here.
I also have matching Black and Pink MDR-100AAP's

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #115 of 2,453
If you own a Black A15 and a Pink A25 would you still consider getting this A30? 

Looks like a bit of a down grade?

I alternate between the A15/25 when the batteries die. 128GB SD card here.

I also have matching Black and Pink MDR-100AAP's

I guess Batt life is a downgrade (maybe internal storage depending on region) ... for me the touchscreen too. But it does have 35mw output vs a10/20 10mw, according to the specs that have been linked (which didn't specify what sort of load), and also includes a new supposedly improved S-Master HX chip.

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #116 of 2,453
I guess Batt life is a downgrade (maybe internal storage depending on region) ... for me the touchscreen too. But it does have 35mw output vs a10/20 10mw, according to the specs that have been linked (which didn't specify what sort of load), and also includes a new supposedly improved S-Master HX chip.

Not sure how the touchscreen is a downgrade as you have all the physical buttons on the side so you have two ways of controlling the A3x.

Sep 19, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #117 of 2,453
Not sure how the touchscreen is a downgrade as you have all the physical buttons on the side so you have two ways of controlling the A3x.

Looks like just playback, volume, and power buttons. If they also work for navigation I will be content, other wise it's a downgrade *for me* as I find touchscreens (even good ones) a bit finnicky to operate (wheras decent button based UI tends to react more predictably), also sometimes like to be able to navigate blindly.

Sep 19, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #118 of 2,453
Looks like just playback, volume, and power buttons. If they also work for navigation I will be content, other wise it's a downgrade *for me* as I find touchscreens (even good ones) a bit finnicky to operate (wheras decent button based UI tends to react more predictably), also sometimes like to be able to navigate blindly.

Sony's X10x0 had a mix of physical and the touchscreen. Not a problem. You're certainly entitled to your viewpoint, but this isn't Sony's first rodeo here :)

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #119 of 2,453
Looks like Sony is dropping support for Apt-x in its new DAPs, in favour of LDAC, no doubt to avoid licence payments.
Shame. It makes them useless for wireless use, unless you have Sony MDR-1ABT's. Also now no good to link to Chord Hugo etc.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #120 of 2,453
Looks like Sony is dropping support for Apt-x in its new DAPs, in favour of LDAC, no doubt to avoid licence payments.
Shame. It makes them useless for wireless use, unless you have Sony MDR-1ABT's. Also now no good to link to Chord Hugo etc.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Bluetooth 4.2?

Where did you hear about Apt-X being dropped, the specs on the Sony Global site simply mentions Bluetooth NFC, not specific codecs supported.  I read an article that Sony is going to try to license LDAC to other manufacturers and Apt-X has finalized Apt-X HD with some products supporting it already announced. 

I just did some research and found some interesting stuff on the future of bluetooth.  Sony's new SRS-ZR5 supports the latest Bluetooth spec version 4.2.  This new spec has alot of updates to it.  including direct internet connection capability, greater security and higher transmission speeds. It appears that Apt-X is not part of the new specification.  Whether it has been dropped all together or has been renamed is unclear. I would imagine that the new spec would be backward compatible with Apt-X given how many Apt-X codec supported devices there are.

Specific bluetooth codecs supported by the A30 and WM models are not mentioned in the specifications.  It could mean that Sony will be releasing these new DAP's with Bluetooth 4.2 or perhaps at some point with a firmware update.  It should be interesting to see what this could mean for bluetooth going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back