NEW! Sony MDR-7520 Top of the Line Professional Studio Headphones Unboxing Video
May 12, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #16 of 28
So these are essentially "pro looking" Z1000's? I really like the design, they also look really well built. I might have pick up a pair to see how they sound compared to my Pro900's.

Sep 30, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #17 of 28
I just picked up the older MDR-7509hd to compare to this 7520.  Initial impression is the 7520 is FAR more detailed and natural than the 7509hd.  HUGE step up.

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #20 of 28
Oh, no, another can of worms, just like "Sony 7506 vs. v6 ".
wink.gif

I want to know, too. Thank you.

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #21 of 28

[size=medium]
Although the specs are the same, from what I hear through the past two weeks on my Apogee Duet, the MDR-7520 seems to have less slam and is bit more flat.  The differences are very very minor.  You may not notice it if you don't have BOTH side by side.

[/size]

[size=medium]

[/size]

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #24 of 28
Hi DjAmTrax,

Thanks for your unboxing videos - very helpful.

I'm interested in your comparison of the 7509HD and 7520. I have the 7509HD's and was thinking of buying another set for my home studio as I like them so much - great mid range detail and tight controlled bass - but of course I'm interested to know how the 7520's compare.

I did notice that my 7509HD's sounded way better after burning in for around 200hrs, so I wondered whether you'd burned in the 7509HD's before comparing them to your (presumably burned in) 7520's?

There is very little on the net with regard to the 7590HD vs 7520, but this reviewer seemed to think that they are very comparable.

MDR 7509HD and MDR 7520

By Mark

from Madison, WI

About Me Professional Musician
Verified Buyer

I am a classical musician who records in concert halls- mostly chamber music (piano, brass, strings, percussion). I have always used Sony headphones when I engineer and produce, although I have tried out a number of other brands (Sennheiser, Grado). I would be the first to say that headphone sound, like speaker sound, is a personal choice, so read on with a grain of salt.

I was looking to upgrade my headphones and decided to try out a few pairs. After some research I focused in on the Sony MDR 7520 and the Sony MDR 7509HD. I am thrilled with both. They are clean, accurate and present in terms of sound. I can hear lots of detail in the variety of musical ensembles I have recorded, however it is a pure sound, uncolored and true to what you would hear live. I should also add that I use a variety of microphones, but stear mostly towards the Earthworks omnis- mics known for their true sound, no coloration- they pick up just about exactly what you hear- great for recording classical music in a hall. The Earthworks/Sony combo feels like a great pairing. The 7520 and 7509HD are both excellent phones for producing, engineering and editing- you get an incredibly true sense of what is being recorded.

For kicks I tried these headphones out on my stereo system listening to mastered and released recordings- the sound was as you would expect- very present, somewhat bright, almost too clear for "casual" listening- you get the detail that you hope for when recording and none of the coloration. I then went back to my pre-mastered Pro Tools sessions and listened with both pairs (7520 and 7509) and made the realization of why these are such great studio headphones- clarity and accuracy of sound, perfect for hearing what you are recording. They no longer sounded bright like they did on my stereo- they just sounded true.

If I had to compare these two headphones, the listening I did on my stereo of mastered recordings sort of helped in the distinguishing of each- the 7520's felt brighter than the 7509HD on released recordings, which made me think I preferred the 7509HD; but when I went back to listening in Pro Tools I found the 7520's to have a bit more clarity and detail. This was a very slight difference, but a difference none the less. Kind of like going from 11 point font to 12 point font (not a big deal to read 11 point font on its own, but when you compare it side by side with 12 point, there IS a difference- each will do just fine, but why not go with more detail if you can get it). I decided to keep both, since I usually have a need for at least two pairs of headphones at recording sessions- might as well have a choice.

The only negative I found was that the 7509HD made a little bit of noise if my head position changed while listening- since they fold for storage, the hinges have some give, thus creating a little bit of sound when you move slightly- not a huge deal, but when you are listening with a fine tooth comb for any and all sounds in the mix, you want the phones to be snug and quiet. The 7520's don't make ANY extraneous sounds. Both headphones fit well, are comfy and look fantastic- the 7520's have an especially smooth, simple design- very sharp aesthetically. I'd say that even though the 7509's move a bit when on, they are likely to be the more comfortable of the two for most people- bigger ear pads, larger cup around your ear, less gripping on your head; but having said that, the 7520's still feel great when on.

I would say, and this is typical with any Professional level Sony headphone, you're money is well spent on either of these. I am very happy with my purchase (of course, I did end up keeping both).

I'd be very interested to know if your impressions have changed at all after burning in the 7509HD's, and also whether you could agree at all with the above review.

Quote:
I just picked up the older MDR-7509hd to compare to this 7520.  Initial impression is the 7520 is FAR more detailed and natural than the 7509hd.  HUGE step up.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #25 of 28
I have not had too much time to compare the two.  I've got a few other things lined up so it may be a while before I can.  I'm sorry I am not much help at this time.

May 22, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #26 of 28
can someone who's not higuy528 guy give a review on this? i am kind of interested in buying these for reference mixing.  (no offence but you said you were a fanboy, and i am looking for a unbiased opinion) 

May 22, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:
can someone who's not higuy528 guy give a review on this? i am kind of interested in buying these for reference mixing.  (no offence but you said you were a fanboy, and i am looking for a unbiased opinion) 

Fanboy also means that he know a few Sony models, and he is able tell the main differences. But if you don't trust him you always can double check for yourself , get both models and return the one you less like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back