New Sony "Giiq" and Sony "Triiqi" Review Request
Jun 4, 2010 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

kenworthe

New Head-Fier
Hey so Sony recently released a new series of (surprisingly stylish-looking) headphones called PIIQ.

More specifically, the ones I'm looking at are the "Giiq" ( http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666169326 )

and the less expensive "Triiqi" (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666169334 )

The specs are decent on these, but many say specs aren't everything, and I can't disagree; so I don't want to go on those alone.
And both are actually priced fairly cheap, which makes me a bit skeptical as to their sound quality..
(Hopefully Sony isn't going the Skullcandy route, haha)

But I was just wondering if anyone has already bought a pair of these and can give me some insight before I choose to purchase either?  I'm not asking for a full fledged review or anything, just any suggestions?
Which one of the two should I buy?

I own a pair of Koss Portapro's and I generally use those as a benchmark of comparison for the "cheap but good" over-ear headphones.

Thanks in advance!! :]

Jun 12, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #6 of 23
30mm Sony drivers?  They probably sound like the MDR-150, which are the worst headphone purchase I've ever made.

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 23
Jul 19, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 23
While I can't speak for the quality, I much like the style. It's nice to see a set of cans that break away from the boring black, matte finish, or even worse, the dated feel of wood. And the fact that these are being compared to Skullcandy headphones based solely on the fact that they are colorful and affordable gives me the feeling that much of the Skullcandy hate doesn't come from an actual quality issue, but because the deviate from the norm. That's not to say that Skullcandy cans are quality.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #9 of 23
im gonna get the triiqi's soon and i also have portpros. Will let you know about how the two compare very soon. Here's a reveiw i found on youtube of the triiqi's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_QW5UL1gtM

according to the guy in the vid, these headphones have very good bass. But then again...he said that he's coming off of those white standard ipod headphones which pretty poor quality. i dont know, ill let  you know as soon as i think i have made a good enough opinion of the triiqi headphones.

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
Hey so Sony recently released a new series of (surprisingly stylish-looking) headphones called PIIQ.

More specifically, the ones I'm looking at are the "Giiq" ( http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666169326 )

and the less expensive "Triiqi" (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666169334 )

The specs are decent on these, but many say specs aren't everything, and I can't disagree; so I don't want to go on those alone.
And both are actually priced fairly cheap, which makes me a bit skeptical as to their sound quality..
(Hopefully Sony isn't going the Skullcandy route, haha)

But I was just wondering if anyone has already bought a pair of these and can give me some insight before I choose to purchase either?  I'm not asking for a full fledged review or anything, just any suggestions?
Which one of the two should I buy?

I own a pair of Koss Portapro's and I generally use those as a benchmark of comparison for the "cheap but good" over-ear headphones.

Thanks in advance!! :]

Here's a review of the Piiq: http://www.digitaltrends.com/headphone-reviews/sony-piiq-marqii-review/

Looks like they're okay for $100. Not great, but could be a lot worse.

They're way too Skullcandy to me. I prefer clean/modern styling.

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #12 of 23

Quote:

At first I read that as PRIIQ. Had a nice laugh to myself then realized my error
frown.gif

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #13 of 23
i guess skullycandy, and now sony, thinks that every youth out there is an urban skater punk graffiti artist hipster wannabe. 
biggrin.gif

and even if they're not, they can simply buy these headphones and voila.

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #15 of 23
Ok, so unlike every1 else who r just sayi g this and that about these headpho es w/o having tried them for themselves, i have an actual reveiw of these headphones and since ive also had a pair of portapros fr a couple months i can compare the two based on what i have observed. Beware however, ive only had the triiqi headpnes (or whatever the $26 over the head piiq model is called) for one day. Let me just say that these triiqi are excellent bang fr ur buck. Sound quality is very nice fr the price range and clear. Mids highs lows are balanced which some people will lke but bass lovers lke me will not. Stereo 3D sound works very well. I got the yellow o es and they look very stylish but r definetly not fr everyone (maybe the black ones can be but im no fashion artist). They r very comfortable andfit well (at least on my perfectly average shaped head) the flat wires are a bonus fr their durability and the fact tht they wont tangle up as easily. 

Now..... Fr the  paragraph we have all been waiting for! How do these headphones compare with the Koss Portapros? At first impression i had actually thought the sound quality was equal to that of the portapros. But unfortanately (for sony) after i did some side by side comparisons of the two headphones i found that this wasnt necessarily the case. The portapro sound seemed a lot more alive in its sound where as the triiqis sounded a BIT too co tained (notice how i emphasized the word in front of "too"). The portapros really brought out the bass in the music very well (funny how im listening to a jazz bass solo on the portapros right now as i type). The bass on the triiqi was there but not even nearly as prevalent as they were in the portapros. The bass on the triiqis was a bit more controlled than on the portapro. Mids and highs were practically the same for both hphones. i much preffered the design on the triiqis. I dont think theyre as flashy as the skullcandy cans u see kids wearing but they defnetly r head turners where as the portapros are also head turners but people will turn around, take a look at ur portapros, and think.... What a dork. But then again there are some people who do lke the retro portapro design and if that is you then just know....ur different....(in a good way!). Its all a matter of taste really as far as design. Both of the hedphones were very comfy and i felt that the porta pros were a bit lighter and i also lked the fact that they fold up very nicely. And dont forget about the comfort zone switch. Sadly, my hair has gotten painfully stuck in the portapros metal headband on multiple ocassions. U wont have to deal with that on the triiqis but they dont fold up at all and the overall design is for the most part fixed. The only thing u can adjust is the length of the headband to accomadate multiple head sizes. U cant even move around the earcups (i really wanted that!)! Also, the portapros do a much better job at staying on ur head at extreme angles than the triiqi however thats not to say the the triiqis will fall from ur face every now and then tht u put them on. 

Heres the bottome line....(god, i feel lke a cnet product reveiwer): the triiqis offer a great design especially fr the younger generation whereas while also delivering on performance and comfort. However, when compared to the portapros, the $4 price gap btwn the two headphones seems even smaller than it already is (btw, at best buy as of this post date: Sony Triiqis- $26   Koss PortaPros- $30). Now i have been given a choice btwn returning one of these headphones since i only need one and i have made my decision. Im keepin the Portpros and i will say farewell to my short lived Sony Triiqis. While the Portapros are better in Terms of comfort and performance the triiqis definetly take it away in design and i do beleive that is what the average consumer will look at the most when given a choice between these two evenly priced headphones. If u really dislike the design of the prtapros and lke the design of the triiqi then by all means go with sony. Just because im saying that the triiqis arent as good in my opinion as the portapros doesnt mean that the Triiqis are a bad set by any means. After all, im just a teenage kid sitting on his bed while typing this on his phone while keeping an eye out fr my dog.

Happy Listening Y'Alls (i dont care about how to spell Y'alls so lay off!) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back