Quote:

Originally Posted by afbug
Welcome Wallabee!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you very much (^o^)

Quote:

Can you describe more about its sound?

Not sure. I listened a little more since then but as previously said, on cold listening there's two things striking me: one is about some kind of muddy rendering of a certain mid-bass frequency which sounds absolutely ugly IMHO, the other about the overall dominance of bass in the sound (in mean, this overall sounds bassy). Real basses are tight and punchy enough, not too strong, somewhat weak on the iPod. Highs reveal some interesting details but sound very mid-highs to my ear, and in the end the music doesn't feel very energetic or catchy even on parts that may move me otherwise on the highs (like some vocals or strings).

When compared directly to my Super.fi 5 Pro however, I notice more obviously a lack in the mids, and think the highs don't go high enough, and in the end find the overall sound of the EX90SL rather narrow, lacks brightness and clarity and ends up unenjoying. But the comparison may not be fair right ?

I don't know about other earphones in the same price range so can't really compare. I'm not sure how to compare them to the EX70, for which I had similar complaints now that I remember. I think it's much lighter on the EX90, light enough that I may not worry about on casual listening. Can't tell for sure yet, I only have a (fading) memory of the EX70 and I don't have them with me for verification.

I haven't tried yet the paper filter removal hack mentioned in a previous post however. Sounds interesting but will wait a little more before hurting those brand new earphones...

Apr 19, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #62 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by n1cx
Does it say NUDE on the box?

EDIT: okay it does say nude. lol. The EX90SL looks like a pretty good commuting earphone except for the hefty price tag.

Sony use the name Fontopia for the us and europe and Nude for japan.

Apr 20, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #63 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallabee
I hadn't much expectations regarding sound quality to begin with, since I was already disappointed enough when I tried them in a showroom (they were on display since the beginning of the month). Something bothered me during my few early listenings perceiving those muddy basses not unlike thoses from the EX-71SL. Otherwise, I don't dislike their overall performance showing more details, main regret being they sound a little too bassy to me. I don't have much points of comparison in this price range though, not even my EX-71SL with me to make sure of the improvement. I find the Super.fi 5 Pro much more enjoyable in their clarity and details in the highs, but since they are 3 times more expensive not sure if comparison is relevant. I'd love to know how they compare to the MDR-EXQ1, on which I couldn't never get my hands on.

i had auditioned the exq1 for a short while sometime last year and while they had the characteristic big bass of canal phones, i remember them being more detailed and smoother than the hje70 that i had at the time. the ex90 look interesting and hopefully they get close to the qualias.

imo, the sf5p are anything but clear and detailed. the treble roll off on these is worse than the so called senn veil.

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #65 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallabee
Thank you very much (^o^)

Not sure. I listened a little more since then but as previously said, on cold listening there's two things striking me: one is about some kind of muddy rendering of a certain mid-bass frequency which sounds absolutely ugly IMHO, the other about the overall dominance of bass in the sound (in mean, this overall sounds bassy). Real basses are tight and punchy enough, not too strong, somewhat weak on the iPod. Highs reveal some interesting details but the highs sounds very mid-highs to my ear, and in the end the music doesn't feel very energetic or catchy even on parts that may move me otherwise on the highs (like some vocals or chords).

When compared directly to my Super.fi 5 Pro however, I notice more obviously a lack in the mids, and think the highs don't go high enough, and in the end find the overall sound of the EX90SL rather narrow, lacks brightness and clarity and ends up unenjoying. But the comparison may not be fair right ?

I don't know about other earphones in the same price range so can't really compare. I'm not sure how to compare them to the EX70, for which I had similar complaints now that I remember. I think it's much lighter on the EX90, light enough that I may not worry about on casual listening. Can't tell for sure yet, I only have a (fading) memory of the EX70 and I don't have them with me for verification.

I haven't tried yet the paper filter removal hack mentioned in a previous post however. Sounds interesting but will wait a little more before hurting those brand new earphones...

Thanks for the effort.
eggosmile.gif
At least, now i have a rough idea how it sounds. If the EX90 has similar drivers to a E888, you can remove the paper filter too. But you have to take them apart.

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #66 of 119
Isn't it unfair to compare these Sony's to the Super.fi 5 Pro IEMs? I just had a thought...do correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd like to know how these compare to the Ex81's because I used to own one of those and know how they sound. I pretty much liked my Ex81 =)

Apr 20, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #67 of 119
I went ahead and kept my ex90s after much debate. I'm listening to them now and I have to say the sound is pretty decent. All comparisons are cumulative based on used with a ipod nano, shuffle, and zen microphoto.

Compared to the Sony ex70s- much brighter and the mids are much cleaner. The bass is still a bit indistinct (but improved over the ex70s) Winner by a long shot the 90s

Compared to shure e4- highs are much less distinct. mids are more muffled. Bass however is much more present and for some types of music (trip hop, industrial) more satsifying. The sonys are more comfortable and have much less cable noise. Winner is the shures for the better highs and details

Compared to super fi pros- Highs are about equal, mids are a bit recessed, bass is equal in presence but "may" be slightly cleaner on the super fis. I think the comfort on the sonys again wins. Overall too close to call

Again one persons opinion. I am realizing more than ever that individual ear shape and fit is really a major factor in perceived sound quality. My brother tried these out as well and thought the shures were crap and the super fis won by a mile

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #68 of 119
i just saw an older guy at the united lounge in nagoya with them. i didn't talk to him about them since i didn't want to bother him. from the side, looks like they're ear buds until you notice them sitting a small distance away from the ear canals.

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #69 of 119
Quote:

Thanks for the effort.
eggosmile.gif
At least, now i have a rough idea how it sounds. If the EX90 has similar drivers to a E888, you can remove the paper filter too. But you have to take them apart.

On the EX71SL a paper filter covers the tip of the tube and is easily
removed. The EX71SL doesn't have to be taken apart to remove it.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175404

If the filter on the EX90 is on the tip of the tube like the EX71SL
it can be peeled off in a few seconds.

Apr 21, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #71 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sade
If the filter on the EX90 is on the tip of the tube like the EX71SL it can be peeled off in a few seconds.

I decided to give it a try, but watching through carefully I don't see the mesh metal grill you're talking about. It also looks a pain to remove, asking for a cutting tool.

Took apart (bigger picture), the external filter you suggest to peel off marked in (6) "Screen" is supposed to filter high tones. If removed, the moss looking (5) "Equalizer" supposed to filter mid-highs will be exposed, not sure that was intended. And we still have another (4) "Register" (?) low tones filter before reaching at last the mesh metal grill of the driver unit.

I don't see any of these mentionned in your thread and don't feel confident the EX90 are built the same as the EX71, or other phones to which this hack applies. And, well, don't know but arbitrarily altering the balance of earphones some guys still went through the trouble of tuning sounds rather harmful to me. I though you were talking of a unecessary protection sheet placed before the driver.

Anyway, I'm not ripping my new earphones apart yet. Will wait for more careless users to relate their experience first...

Apr 21, 2006 at 8:21 AM Post #72 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sade
On the EX71SL a paper filter covers the tip of the tube and is easily
removed. The EX71SL doesn't have to be taken apart to remove it.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175404

If the filter on the EX90 is on the tip of the tube like the EX71SL
it can be peeled off in a few seconds.

The EX90 is not of the same or similar design as a EX71. The concept is different. The EX90's design is like taking a normal earbud and stick a nozzle on it to channel sound into the ears.

So i was guessing if the EX90 uses similar drivers to a E888. If so, maybe redshifter's mod might improve its sound. But looking at the link given by Wallabee, i don't see any paper filter and it is different.

BTW, i am only suggesting. I do not own the EX90 and so i have no idea how to mod it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #73 of 119
EX90's here!

I have the EX70, EX71, EX81.

Some quick, initial impressions:

Sound is more balanced than the EX71 and EX81. Bass has more impact than the EX70. I think the highs are nicely detailed. No hiss problems noted with the two devices noted at thet he bottom.

In my ear the external hard casing presses against the ear a bit and may not be as quite as comfortable as the EX70 or EX71. I'm using the "medium" sized tips. Will experiment a bit. The larger ones may allow for a good seal yet set the driver a bit higher off the ear.

The cord from the jack to the separation point seems to be a bit thicker with the EX90. The wire cover material from the separtion point to the drivers *may* be a bit tougher feeling. Hard for me to determine.

The case is quality leather. Nice.

More listening will tell, but I think the EX90 are the best of the series.

First impression -- pretty good -- and good enough to keep.

Equipment used: Sony MZ-RH10 (ATRAC3+ 352K encoded material) Archos AV500 (MP3, LAME ~256K)

Paul

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #75 of 119
I just got a pair of these today from Circuit City... also got the replacement plan for them incase I don't like them later or they break.

First impression is that these sound way better than the EX71's... the mids and highs sound pretty nice... and the bass seems pretty acurate and punchy without being overwhelming.

I got these to replace some Sennheiser MX 500's for working out... these sound much better, isolate better, are more comfortable, and seem better built than the Sennheisers... of course for the price of these you could buy Grado SR60's for the house and Sennheisers for going around town.

Compared to my Etymotic ER6i's... it is a different sound signature... but are just as satisfying... and much more comfortable, but the Ety's isolate much better which is what I got them for... so I can hang out at noisy coffee shops and read.

They almost sound like my Grado SR60's with more bass, more isolation, and less staging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back