NEW Sony EX90LP
Apr 17, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #46 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by PigCorpse
Edit:

My God the EX90s are amazing...

Please elaborate and compare to something like... 888s or PX100 for example. Thanks

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #47 of 119
The cable looks thicker, but that thing's going to protrude out of your ear like you can't imagine.

Apr 17, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #48 of 119
I haven't ever tried high-end headphones, but they're noticeably better than my Panny HJE50s. They have lots of detail and the mids are quite nice. The fit is great too. They don't protrude that much, neither. Very nice...

How do the 'bad' Sony cables feel? These cables feel more plastic than rubber.

Apr 17, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #49 of 119
Seriously if they weren´t seriously better than the overhyped (at least when they came out) HJE50 garbage I would be compelled to go throw rocks at my nearest SONY office.

Apr 18, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #50 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by PigCorpse
I haven't ever tried high-end headphones, but they're noticeably better than my Panny HJE50s. They have lots of detail and the mids are quite nice. The fit is great too. They don't protrude that much, neither. Very nice...

How do the 'bad' Sony cables feel? These cables feel more plastic than rubber.

Can you make any comparison to the EX51/71? Do you think that they're worth the high price?

Apr 18, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #54 of 119
redface.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #56 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmimp
Can you make any comparison to the EX51/71? Do you think that they're worth the high price?

The mids of the EX71 improve if you take the speckled paper filter off the
tube tip and just use the short cord without attaching the extension cord.

Most people don't realize it (and SONY doesn't mention it), but the paper
filter and extension cord muffle the mids quite a bit.

I have the 2003 EX71 which (so far) hasn't had the shredding cord problem.

In my ear (fit) the bass isn't one note boomy, but rather is tight, tuneful, and goes very low. Perhaps the Sennheiser cx300 mids are better because it doesn't have a paper filter on the tip?

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #58 of 119
Hello,

Just been surprised to find some MDR-EX90SL (short cord) at my local retailer on my way home today, since it was due to 2006.05.10. Street price running around 9,000~10,000 JPY, in Japan.

It comes in a cool looking box, design's absolutely lovely, and handling's very good: cable's thicker than the EX-71SL's and gets in place quickly, easy grip, fits easily but securely in it's transport case, gets in the ear effortless with a single twist and don't fall... Quite a relief compared to the Super.fi if you ask me.

Two minor concerns however: 1. plug on the short cable seems shorter than average and makes the grip slightly difficult (no grip on the flexible part). 2. transport case is quite bulky, roughly 5 times the dimensions of an iPod nano.

First time I tried the fit in my ears, I though of magic, pure joice, so comfortable I would never take them away. Except that after a few hours my ears starts to pain a little, like typical pain (I) always experienced with (non-inner) earphones. But maybe it's just me, as lot of people seems to wear earphones with no problems at all. Anyway I'm not sure in the end, and I'm not as pleased as expected.

I hadn't much expectations regarding sound quality to begin with, since I was already disappointed enough when I tried them in a showroom (they were on display since the beginning of the month). Something bothered me during my few early listenings perceiving those muddy basses not unlike thoses from the EX-71SL. Otherwise, I don't dislike their overall performance showing more details, main regret being they sound a little too bassy to me. I don't have much points of comparison in this price range though, not even my EX-71SL with me to make sure of the improvement. I find the Super.fi 5 Pro much more enjoyable in their clarity and details in the highs, but since they are 3 times more expensive not sure if comparison is relevant. I'd love to know how they compare to the MDR-EXQ1, on which I couldn't never get my hands on.

I wouldn't have those Super.fi, I'd probably use the EX90SL on a daily basis for casual outdoor listening, where convenience is a primary issue and the super.fi are a real disappointment in this regard. But I'm not sure at home, where I have much harder time getting in the music with the EX90SL.

Don't know if this helps.

Few pics:

Oh btw, Hi people, first post here. --v

Apr 19, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #60 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallabee
Hello,

Just been surprised to find some MDR-EX90SL (short cord) at my local retailer on my way home today, since it was due to 2006.05.10. Street price running around 9,000~10,000 JPY, in Japan.

It comes in a cool looking box, design's absolutely lovely, and handling's very good: cable's thicker than the EX-71SL's and gets in place quickly, easy grip, fits easily but securely in it's transport case, gets in the ear effortless with a single twist and don't fall... Quite a relief compared to the Super.fi if you ask me.

Two minor concerns however: 1. plug on the short cable seems shorter than average and makes the grip slightly difficult (no grip on the flexible part). 2. transport case is quite bulky, roughly 5 times the dimensions of an iPod nano.

First time I tried the fit in my ears, I though of magic, pure joice, so comfortable I would never take them away. Except that after a few hours my ears starts to pain a little, like typical pain (I) always experienced with (non-inner) earphones. But maybe it's just me, as lot of people seems to wear earphones with no problems at all. Anyway I'm not sure in the end, and I'm not as pleased as expected.

I hadn't much expectations regarding sound quality to begin with, since I was already disappointed enough when I tried them in a showroom (they were on display since the beginning of the month). Something bothered me during my few early listenings perceiving those muddy basses not unlike thoses from the EX-71SL. Otherwise, I don't dislike their overall performance showing more details, main regret being they sound a little too bassy to me. I don't have much points of comparison in this price range though, not even my EX-71SL with me to make sure of the improvement. I find the Super.fi 5 Pro much more enjoyable in their clarity and details in the highs, but since they are 3 times more expensive not sure if comparison is relevant. I'd love to know how they compare to the MDR-EXQ1, on which I couldn't never get my hands on.

I wouldn't have those Super.fi, I'd probably use the EX90SL on a daily basis for casual outdoor listening, where convenience is a primary issue and the super.fi are a real disappointment in this regard. But I'm not sure at home, where I have much harder time getting in the music with the EX90SL.

Don't know if this helps.

Few pics:

http://wallabee.free.fr/headfi/mdr-ex90sl/DSC_7840_320.JPG
http://wallabee.free.fr/headfi/mdr-ex90sl/DSC_7867_320.JPG
http://wallabee.free.fr/headfi/mdr-ex90sl/DSC_7870_320.JPG
http://wallabee.free.fr/headfi/mdr-ex90sl/DSC_7873_320.JPG

Oh btw, Hi people, first post here. --v

Does it say NUDE on the box?

EDIT: okay it does say nude. lol. The EX90SL looks like a pretty good commuting earphone except for the hefty price tag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back