New Sony 64 GB DAP: NW-A840
Mar 21, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #182 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got the 16 GB 845 - lovely looking (to a degree), but built very cheaply next to the X.

That's what I was afraid of. Glad I didn't wait for the A84X and went for the X instead. Thanks for the research shigzeo!
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #183 of 209
Quote:

Just got the 16 GB 845 - lovely looking (to a degree), but built very cheaply next to the X. In fact, I would pay for the build quality of the X over the A84x.

What makes you think so? The plastic volume and hold buttons? The rest seems pretty solid to me.
BTW price between the 16GB X and A845 is about the same here in Europe. I intentionally went for the latter, because it's much lighter and I don't care for the touch screen.

Quote:

Also: sound problems: clicking at regular intervals and a little more hiss than the X. It is nice, but harder to hold (buttons at the way bottom) than the X or my 828. Like, but not love.

Sorry to hear that. When do you hear clicking? I haven't noticed this on mine yet.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #184 of 209
Well
A84X series had already released in China,
What I want say is compare with XK, A84X's SQ is a little bit lower, especially on treble and location, but A84X has a better performance on popmusic due to it's better mid, and A84X also support s-master amp, DSEE, and WAV/PCM files.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #185 of 209
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post
Just got the 16 GB 845 - lovely looking (to a degree), but built very cheaply next to the X. In fact, I would pay for the build quality of the X over the A84x.

That's true...built cheaply, and the glass cover on the OLED is fragile

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #186 of 209
I can confirm there is a clicking sound which is really noticeable when no music is playing.

There are some issues with the build quality for me though. On the right side with all the buttons the glass isn't as secure. And that makes a small creaking noise when you press on the right side of the glass.

The paint comes off quite easy so I have two small scratches on the back side now. I figured it would make a scratch so it's entirely my fault but when compared to an nw-a805 the paint does come off very easily. And some paint has come loose on the side of the back/home button.

Although I haven't had the chance to have a sony x in my hands I wouldn't pay for the build quality for it. Especially when a 32gb costs 399 euros and an 847 270(for me atleast).

I'm pretty careless with my 847. Dropping it on a marmer floor wasn't pleasant when it made three small scratches on the screen. But even with all it faults this one is definantly a keeper for me for a long time.

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #188 of 209
what OS are you using? You can resize in HTML, but you could also upload to say flickr and use a smaller size.

@James: there is a clicking, but you need sensitive earphones to hear it, and I mean sensitive. The hiss is a bit worse and the entire screen depresses slightly. The gap between it and the body is poor as is the button layout compared to my 828.

The X is more solid, making me think I wasted my money. I don't like the X - its touch screen is rubbish, but despite being thicker, the 845 seems to take up more width.

I like the sound though: other than hiss, it is very good. And, I have an ALO Sony dock which means I can use an amp and get rid of nearly all of that hiss and... the horrid regular clicking.

After owning Sony players since 1998, I feel very let down in an 'A' series and for the money, feel that this machine is far below par. At least the Japanese version records, but only in ATRAC...

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #189 of 209
The only clicking I can hear is about 0.5sec after switching from play to pause. But it's only one click. During play I hear only some noise when I change the volume, plus a continous (faint) hissing, but no clicking.

But my main gripe is the poorly implemented EQ that noticably degrades SQ. I'd like to EQ bass and treble for my FADs, but with subtle genres like classical I can't bear it. With others like Rock and Pop it's ok at best. Thankfully the Sony has more bass on flat setting than my other DAPs, or else it would be a complete waste of money as a companion for the FADs.

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #190 of 209
Well, I am thinking of selling the 845 for the above-mentioned problems. If you don't have sensitive earphones, it may well be a non-issue. For me, the hiss, clicking (observed in 3/3 84x players) and build quality make me wish my money was back in my pocket... grumble.

Mar 24, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #193 of 209
If you have sensitive earphones, you will notice it. If you don't, it may not be a problem. Of course, some people aren't bothered by the hiss either, which I cannot understand. I'd imagine if the hiss doesn't bother you (this hiss is one of the loudest in the current DAP market), then the clicking won't bother you either.

Mar 24, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #194 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by aragornmustdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pics; size comparison with my E51 and sony HD3

P.S. how do I make them smaller? sorry guys

mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back