New Shure SRH1540 closed-back headphones?
Feb 7, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #76 of 94
I think you guys should definitely try them!!!

pietcux, I guess since you have the Sig DJ/Sig Pro combo that you'd probably not stick with them though. As a pure basshead headphone, I preferred the Sig DJs over the SRH1540s. The Sig Pro would probably be a close call, but overall enjoyment of the Shure's for the money is really "up-there"!! I only sold the 1540s because they leaked (with their original Alcantara pads, never put the Alpha Pads...) and because I thought the Alpha Dogs did mostly everything better (with the exception of bass quantity). But as per my review, these are fun and enjoyable headphones.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #77 of 94
Colour me interested!

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #78 of 94
actually i just realize that it lacks isolation. I need a hp that has little leakage so this may be fun but useless. I think for a basshead can I may just go for the new Sennheiser hd8 instead. 

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #79 of 94
  actually i just realize that it lacks isolation. I need a hp that has little leakage so this may be fun but useless. I think for a basshead can I may just go for the new Sennheiser hd8 instead. 

It doesn't lack isolation, but it does not isolate as well as some other closed headphones. With a moderate volume it is not bad in a noisy environment.

I run a fan on my desk most days and at medium volume on my FiioE17, 6db of gain and 14 on the volume level I cannot hear the fan a foot and a half away from me.

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #80 of 94
Isolates well with the music on...
With the music off, very very very few cans isolate well :p

Feb 12, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #84 of 94
I really liked the sound of the Shure SRH-840's, I only wished they had more bass. Does the sound signature sound a lot like the 840's?

I really liked the sound of the Shure SRH-840's, I only wished they had more bass. Does the sound signature sound a lot like the 840's?

More bass than the 840? I felt like the 1540 had around the same about of bass. But the 1540 bass has more layering and texture.

If you want more bass than that maybe you should take a look at the hifiman he400.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #85 of 94
More bass than the 840? I felt like the 1540 had around the same about of bass. But the 1540 bass has more layering and texture.

If you want more bass than that maybe you should take a look at the hifiman he400.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The HE-400 is V-shaped, which really turns me off.

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #86 of 94

was able to try a new set of 1540s (new in box and never burned in) at my local store. tried it right after i auditioned the HE400! tried both of a fiio e17.

the HE400 is a lot more airy that the 1540s. soundtstage of the 1540s is quite good for a closed can. but it doesnt sound open. bass quality and texture is better on the HE400 as well.

im a shure fan. i currently use the 940s and the se425s a lot. also had some of the older closed backs. i feel like the 1540s out of the box is similar to the 840s but improved all around. mids is not forward like the 940s. bass is more prominent on the 1540s vs the 940s by a LOT. but defenition and texture was better on the 940s but the 940s bass rolled off earlier.

i also was able to try the 1840s (really looking to get the 1840s or the HE400 this christmas) 2 weeks ago in hong kong and the 1540s doesnt sound like a closed 1840 at all. its different. i really remembered the 840s with it. never tried the 1440s.

i know its just an initial impression. but i hope this helps. 

How does the HE-400's midrange compare to that of the 1540's?

Mar 30, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #87 of 94
owned my srh1540 about a month now think they are an outstanding set of closed cans. My initial impression was not high when I plugged them into my laptop or portable music sources. In fact I would agree with some in that the highs are recessed and rolled off but I soon found out the problem is with the source headphone combo.

Soon as you plug these babes into a proper DAC they then scale up tremendously. Even with a portable USB DAC these cans hit base notes I never heard before while being clean and clear. The punch is there but base decay is slower than let say the HD25. All the while the highs are as crisp as my se425. At this point the only thing I thought can be better is imaging but considering these are closed cans at the price they are I personally think they are a mile stone for closed cans.

For the people who enjoy the srh840 but looking to upgrade go for the srh1540... just use a good DAC

May 31, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #88 of 94
How would you guys compare the Shure srh-1540 and Fostex th-x00? I'm looking for closed cans with big bass and intimate mids (I don't mind treble roll off, I'm pretty sensitive).

Also, sorry if I'm reviving an old thread. Not sure if it's better to post here or to start a new thread in the help forum (let me know for next time). Thanks everybody!

May 31, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #89 of 94
Technically the fostex are better, the bass is better and they have more detail, but the Shures are good for longer periods as they are smoother sounding and very comfortable, the shures are good "general purpose" headphones, the fostex are good for short sessions, Both are good but they sound different, maybe just try both and decide.

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #90 of 94
Just thought I would add my bit, ive owned the 1540's for a few weeks now and live them faults and all. I also own a pair of hd600's and will be keeping them as they are more accurate thats for sure.
Its just that I find the Shure's are bags of fun, top end is spot on, mids are slightly coloured and bass whilst lovely and deep not as accurate. BUT theyre image really well and are just so enjoyable, plus build quality is exceptional. Waiting for someone to come up with a mod to clean up the mids a little...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back