New shure se215
Jan 13, 2011 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Timmac

New Head-Fier
http://www.shure.com/americas/news-events/coming-soon/se215-sound-isolating-earphones These look pretty interesting- cost 100, detachable cables, look good. but not made by panasonic :wink: Anyway, opinions?

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
it will be interesting if this will a detachable cable

I'm sorry but did you read the link? or the thread?

I think it's a good move by shure using a dynamic driver, cheap armature phones never seem to sound as good as the dynamic competition IMHO, I just hope they don't try to use it to move into sennheiser territory and I hope it's not the same driver as in the e2. $100-$130 though there's some serious competition.

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 15

I think it's a good move by shure using a dynamic driver, cheap armature phones never seem to sound as good as the dynamic competition IMHO, I just hope they don't try to use it to move into sennheiser territory and I hope it's not the same driver as in the e2. $100-$130 though there's some serious competition.

Yea, quite brave of them to enter at this price point! However, having detachable cables really sets them apart- effectively makes them last for ever, and that defiantly means a lot.

Anyway, knowing me by the time these come out I will have broken my current 'phones and will despiratly waiting for reviews. :wink:

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:

looks to be different impedence and efficiency so new driver.

Apr 10, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
a beginner question:
what is the advantage of "detachable cables" ??

While everyone has an opinion as to whether or not it makes sense.  The appeal is that cables cost considerably less then the whole set if you damage the cable.  I have a set of super.fi 3's the set cost me $40, I can buy new cables if I need them for $13.

Apr 12, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
but doesnt it affects the SQ?
btw where did u get those at $40?

It can affect SQ if you use a cable with drastically different conductors. Personally, as far as IEMs go, I'd stick to what's durable and comfortable: it has to be light and pliant enough, then whether you like memory wire for the first few inches from the drivers is up to you. I prefer a sliding lock that doesn't move back down while moving vs memory wire.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
It can affect SQ if you use a cable with drastically different conductors. Personally, as far as IEMs go, I'd stick to what's durable and comfortable: it has to be light and pliant enough, then whether you like memory wire for the first few inches from the drivers is up to you. I prefer a sliding lock that doesn't move back down while moving vs memory wire.

can you explain those 2 things? havent heard about them. please

Apr 13, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
can you explain those 2 things? havent heard about them. please

Quote:

Memory wire = first few inches from each side when worn over the ear hold that shape over time. This section is usually stiffer than the rest of the cable. It's integrated in the shielding, which is why DIY cables usually don't have this as the conductors come from long spools. Some I'm not aware of might have it though, integrated into a second shielding most likely since soem like the aesthetics of an outer teflon cover.

Sliding lock = Look at the Y-junction of most over-ear IEMs and some that can be worn either way, there's a plastic block that you can slide up to tighten the cable against the back of your head. When the cable's too loose and too soft, they won't stay properly around the top of your ears, so you tighten them at the back. Also minimizes the microphonics since it reduces cable movement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back