New Sennheiser PX-100/200 IIs
Oct 17, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhfactor1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just spotted these on J & R's Music World's website, you can pre-order the Sennheiser PX 100 II (price: $69.95), and PX 200 II (price:$89.95). The website says to call to get latest pricing (they may knock off another 10-20 USD's off these prices). They also have UPS ground shipping for free at this time. Give them a call and see what they say, I have dealt with J & R for about 25 years and they have always treated me well. Happy Listening.
beyersmile.png

Great catch! Definitely look like placeholder prices. Hopefully they'll put em up on the headphone wall so I can test them out beforehand.

Nov 9, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #48 of 72
Well, both the PX 100 and the 200 ii's are at J and R.

I braved the Yankee parade on Friday, and after an hour of jostling travel, finally made it.

J and R have actually gotten rid of the listening wall... sort of. Rather, they've moved it downstairs, the street level section of audio, and populated it only with Dr. Dre headphones.

Pretty much everything they used to have out is now in a case, you can ask a sales associate to pull something out for you, and now you have the added benefit of being able to (having to, they have no source material for you to listen to) bring your own music player.

I tried the HD228, the HD 238 and in comparison to my original px100s I felt they were lacking.

So, on a whim, I picked up the px 200 iis.

They no longer come with the plastic box, instead they have a low rate psuedo felt bag.

The design is good, feels very solid. The earpads are comfy, and the cord, while not particularly robust, seems fine.

In comparison to my PX100s, they sound like I'm listening to music in smaller space. I'm not sure if this is the term referred to as soundstage, but in any case they don't sound quite as reverberant. I suppose this is because of the closed back design.

In terms of bass/mid/treble performance, they sound fairly similar to the px100s. The treble is pretty bright... The bass seems a little punchy. I expect that these are the sorts of things that will mellow as they burn in.

I've been using them to listen to a wide range of music, Jazz, electronica, a little hiphop, and rock. So far, so good.

I was looking for something that would sound similar to PX100s, be equally convienent, have more comfy ear pads, and not leak sound in and out.

I've been using the PX200 iis on the subway, on the street, at home while my wife watches TV, and so far, considering they aren't noise isolating or circum aural, they're doing fine. For example, my old bose triports (leftover from the days when I thought bose was good) isolate sound better than these new Senns.

I'm not an audiophile, just someone who likes quality stuff. So I don't really know all the technical terms to describe these headphones.

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #50 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucrags84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So did they make any sonic improvements for the PX100 IIs, or was it just physical reinforcement of joints etc.?

Well, the tech specs are identical at 32 ohms / 114 db/mw / 15-27000 Hz / <0.1% THD so there's a good chance that the drivers are the same.

The differences in sound would probably come from the new housings. Oh, and the single-sided cable is pretty cool
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #52 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
20 mins into my new Sennheiser PX 100-II's.

Give me my old Sennheiser PX 100's anyday.

20 minutes? I'm guessing they are not broken in yet.
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #55 of 72
Comfort wise they dont hold a candle to the Sennheiser PX 100's, out of the box they have a pretty big clamp they are also more chunkier and the now one sided cable seems very fragile.

Soundwise there is a difference in that the newer Sennheiser PX 100-II's seperate the music better but the all important comfort isn't there like it used to be.

Nov 23, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #56 of 72
Personally the comfort on the PX100s suck they hurt my ears. They sound awesome but I can't ware them for long periods of time. The new mark II look to have more padding and this is why I am interested in them. For now I have switched to the HD238. Much more comfortable and just a tad warmer than the PX100 if you take out the inner foam core. Other wise they are the same.

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #58 of 72
Just thought I'd mention we've spent time with both the 100-II and 200-II.

I think they are a significant improvement over the older PXs. The 200 is especially improved in the bass response. I think they'll be a total hit.

Dec 1, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #60 of 72
I've had my PX100 II for a week now.

In comparison to the old version, I'd say that it has a stronger bass. It feels as though it's louder because of the tonal difference.

I think some will find it rather heavy and fat. Upi wouldn't think that you had a portable headphone on your head if you just went by sound.

I'm in two minds about it myself. The old version seems more open, but I think that's because it sounds lighter in tone.

I like the build of the new one - hate the bag and the thin cable. My feelings are it's too expensive and seems to be closer in sound to the Igrado.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back