New Sennheiser HD-700!!!!
Dec 27, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #451 of 550

Quote:
Again, this is all hypothetical.  

wink_face.gif

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #454 of 550

Quote:
So who here thinks the HD700 will actually be better in any aspect compared to the HD800? In be more specific, I know there's some wishful thinking (me included) that the HD700 will take the "edge" off the HD800 with a small compromise in detail extraction and soundstage (a given from those pictures taken from the Chinese site showing a smaller cup - assuming they are real - which I'm not convinced - because it looks look Star Wars Empire-ish.)

Some people will think that its better, others will think that it is better. For me, if there was a little less detail, a slight bit more warmth, and a smoother high end, I would consider it a lot better than the HD800, but that's just my opinion. Other love bright, shrill, hyper detailed stuff, and will think the total opposite of what I think. There is one thing that'll be certain though, IMO, and that's the fact of Sennhesier improving the low end of the HD800 on the HD700.

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #455 of 550

Quote:
Has Sennheiser released any hints about the elusive "HD 700" yet? I'm thinking this might all just be a very well put together photoshop.

Did you see what Sennhesier said back to me on Twitter when I aced them about "the mythical HD700's"? Check out post #263 on page 18.

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #456 of 550

Quote:
Some people will think that its better, others will think that it is better. For me, if there was a little less detail, a slight bit more warmth, and a smoother high end, I would consider it a lot better than the HD800, but that's just my opinion. Other love bright, shrill, hyper detailed stuff, and will think the total opposite of what I think. There is one thing that'll be certain though, IMO, and that's the fact of Sennhesier improving the low end of the HD800 on the HD700.

Sounds like the T1s are what you're after. You get good build quality to boot.

And the HD 800s shrill?  What system did you hear it on?  I came from T1s and still find the HD 800s extremely pleasant.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #458 of 550

Why did you edit your comment? I respectfully disagree with you on the HD800 vs. T1. The HD800, while being a bright headphone, is not as bright as the T1. Even though an amp can change this, the majority of the time I find the T1 to be very fast paced, energetic, and more forward than the T1. The HD800 is less bright (albeit still a bright can), slower paced, has a lot better vocal pronunciation, a more massive soundstage, and a better feel for the music, IMHO.

Dec 28, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #459 of 550

Quote:
Quote:

Why did you edit your comment? I respectfully disagree with you on the HD800 vs. T1. The HD800, while being a bright headphone, is not as bright as the T1. Even though an amp can change this, the majority of the time I find the T1 to be very fast paced, energetic, and more forward than the T1. The HD800 is less bright (albeit still a bright can), slower paced, has a lot better vocal pronunciation, a more massive soundstage, and a better feel for the music, IMHO.

Maybe you heard one of the fabled " bass light" T1s but the consensus is that T1s are generally a bit on the warmer side. I can vouch for this from my own experience with the pair I had.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #460 of 550

Quote:
Maybe you heard one of the fabled " bass light" T1s but the consensus is that T1s are generally a bit on the warmer side. I can vouch for this from my own experience with the pair I had.

Not what I've heard. To each how own. What amp did you hear the T1 on? I guess the T1 could be considered warmer, but it has more energy than the HD800, that's for sure.

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #461 of 550

Quote:
Not what I've heard. To each how own. What amp did you hear the T1 on? I guess the T1 could be considered warmer, but it has more energy than the HD800, that's for sure.

I heard the T1 on Fiio E9, Cavalli SOHA II, and Meier Concerto and the HD 800 on Concerto only.  

Read through the T1 appreciation thread and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Dec 28, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #462 of 550

Quote:
I heard the T1 on Fiio E9, Cavalli SOHA II, and Meier Concerto and the HD 800 on Concerto only.  

Read through the T1 appreciation thread and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Okay. Let me break it down in my opinion of what I think about the T1. This was running off the Woo Audio WA2 and the Cavalli audio Liquid Fire. I'll go throughout the frequency response and explain a little bit more. This is from 3 months ago, and I may just do a 2-3 hour listening session with both these cans again and do a full on article discussing the two hear on Head-Fi. Again, my impressions, everybody has different ears and interpret sound differently.

Bass: This is a toss up between the two. I find the low end on both cans too be pretty good (although no where near the league of the LCD-2, IMO). However, the HD800's bass seems a bit slow for me, and while it extends deeper than the HD800, it's not as refined and powerful as the T1's. The T1 has good bass, is speedy enough, and while it doesn't extend as deep as the HD800, still has a good amount of authority when it comes to pure quality.

Midrange: Again, a toss up for me. I like the midrange a lot on the HD800. Very rich with absolutely amazing vocal pronunciation. Absolutely perfect for slow to medium paced music. The type of headphone that I could literally get lost in for days. It might be a bit bright, but is still absolutely superb. The T1, this is where I see where people can say it's warm. The T1 has a warmer, smoother midrange (I prefer warmth, but for some reason I love the HD800's mids) than the HD800. Still has really good clarity, but not as good as the HD800. Again, I think the HD800 is perfect for midrange type music.

Treble: The T1. That's an easy option for me. More sparkle (even though it's quite hot, more so than the HD800), faster pace, better energy, and more PRaT. It's perfect for speedy rock, regular rock, metal, and if you have a speedy amp to go with it, modern dub step music. The HD800, while still maintaining a very good top end, feels more lush, and not as energetic as the T1. It extends better on the top frequencies, but just doesn't sound as good, IMO.

Soundstage: The T1 has a good sounstage when it comes to width, depth, and instrumental separation (I find the T1 to have a more airy and layered presentation), but the HD800's soundstage is absolutely massive. It's huge, it's not as layered as the T1, but the width and depth, and overall girth of the HD800 is just flat out shocking, it's super.

Again, my ears and my impressions.

Now, will the HD700 sound like the T1 or the HD800? I'm hoping that Sennhesier takes the energy of the T1, makes it warmer (I know, a weird combination), keeps the same sweet midrange, with the superb sound staging of the HD800.

Dec 28, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #463 of 550

Quote:

Okay. Let me break it down in my opinion of what I think about the T1. This was running off the Woo Audio WA2 and the Cavalli audio Liquid Fire. I'll go throughout the frequency response and explain a little bit more. This is from 3 months ago, and I may just do a 2-3 hour listening session with both these cans again and do a full on article discussing the two hear on Head-Fi. Again, my impressions, everybody has different ears and interpret sound differently.

Bass: This is a toss up between the two. I find the low end on both cans too be pretty good (although no where near the league of the LCD-2, IMO). However, the HD800's bass seems a bit slow for me, and while it extends deeper than the HD800, it's not as refined and powerful as the T1's. The T1 has good bass, is speedy enough, and while it doesn't extend as deep as the HD800, still has a good amount of authority when it comes to pure quality.

Midrange: Again, a toss up for me. I like the midrange a lot on the HD800. Very rich with absolutely amazing vocal pronunciation. Absolutely perfect for slow to medium paced music. The type of headphone that I could literally get lost in for days. It might be a bit bright, but is still absolutely superb. The T1, this is where I see where people can say it's warm. The T1 has a warmer, smoother midrange (I prefer warmth, but for some reason I love the HD800's mids) than the HD800. Still has really good clarity, but not as good as the HD800. Again, I think the HD800 is perfect for midrange type music.

Treble: The T1. That's an easy option for me. More sparkle (even though it's quite hot, more so than the HD800), faster pace, better energy, and more PRaT. It's perfect for speedy rock, regular rock, metal, and if you have a speedy amp to go with it, modern dub step music. The HD800, while still maintaining a very good top end, feels more lush, and not as energetic as the T1. It extends better on the top frequencies, but just doesn't sound as good, IMO.

Soundstage: The T1 has a good sounstage when it comes to width, depth, and instrumental separation (I find the T1 to have a more airy and layered presentation), but the HD800's soundstage is absolutely massive. It's huge, it's not as layered as the T1, but the width and depth, and overall girth of the HD800 is just flat out shocking, it's super.

Again, my ears and my impressions.

Now, will the HD700 sound like the T1 or the HD800? I'm hoping that Sennhesier takes the energy of the T1, makes it warmer (I know, a weird combination), keeps the same sweet midrange, with the superb sound staging of the HD800.

I have the exact opposite experience in terms of treble; the treble on the HD 800 sounds much brighter and prominent to me and most will agree. I'm not sure how the T1 treble feels hotter and brighter to you; we obviously hear very differently. 

As for soundstage, at first, I didn't understand why people claimed that the HD 800s have much bigger soundstage than the T1s as I didn't feel like there was that big of a difference.  After a few days though, I could finally start to put my finger on it.  The HD 800's soundstage doesn't seem to have defined boundaries and instead, the sound just flows out in the open.  The soundstage is as big as the music calls for.  Also, the height, depth, and width is very well balanced to give a 3-dimensional presentation with much greater layer and sense of realism.  Every other headphones I've heard has clear soundstage boundaries and are usually wider than they are deep or tall.   

Have you/do you own either of these or is this just based on a one time session from 3 months ago?  Aural memory isn't known to be stellar.

Dec 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #464 of 550

Quote:
I have the exact opposite experience in terms of treble; the treble on the HD 800 sounds much brighter and prominent to me and most will agree. I'm not sure how the T1 treble feels hotter and brighter to you; we obviously hear very differently. 

As for soundstage, at first, I didn't understand why people claimed that the HD 800s have much bigger soundstage than the T1s as I didn't feel like there was that big of a difference.  After a few days though, I could finally start to put my finger on it.  The HD 800's soundstage doesn't seem to have defined boundaries and instead, the sound just flows out in the open.  The soundstage is as big as the music calls for.  Also, the height, depth, and width is very well balanced to give a 3-dimensional presentation with much greater layer and sense of realism.  Every other headphones I've heard has clear soundstage boundaries and are usually wider than they are deep or tall.   

Have you/do you own either of these or is this just based on a one time session from 3 months ago?  Aural memory isn't known to be stellar.

Musings from 3 months ago. But I have a very good memory of what I heard. I'll head down next week and update my impressions of what I think.

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #465 of 550
I've heard four T1's now. I also have measurements for two T1s. One was OK (probably the bass lite version), the other was messed up. Both T1s I measured had some peakyness in the treble which could easily be heard.

I've mentioned this before in other threads. Overall the HD800 treble is a broad elevated shelf from 5k onwards whereas the T1 treble tends to be peaky at certain spots (~10k). How bright they sound really depends upon the recording and what areas of the spectrum get highlighted. This more than anything else accounts for the differences of perception between the T1 and HD800 treble.

My bet is that HD700 will sound more like the T1 because Beyer is Senn's competition (from a Europe / German POV) and also because the majority of people (not necessarily on HF - there is a bigger world out there) seem to like that sparkly or peaky treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back