Dec 7, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #197 of 550
Hmm...
L3000.gif

Quote:
Maybe the slightly more closed design helps give it moar bass
popcorn.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #200 of 550

Quote:

I've read that before.  The 555/558/595/598 all had the same problem.  Even the 6xx series had issues.  I'll alter my judgement if over time the materials have actually compensated for the amount of stress placed on such a weakly designed area.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #201 of 550
Looks interesting...

If this turns out to be a ring radiator with a bit less treble and more sub bass than the HD800 then this might win me back from planars.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #202 of 550
To my knowledge, you're both discussing discontinued headphones. Sennheiser isn't going to change its methods of making the HD5x5 and the HD6x0 because, well, Sennheiser doesn't produce the headphones anymore. I owned an HD598 for 2 months before selling it to a friend, and it never cracked under daily use. I also know a few others who purchased this very headphone and had no cracking issues. 
The headphones you both cited were discontinued long before Sennheiser apologized for the issue and resolved it. I'm not sure what else you expect. Should they begin reproducing these headphones just to show they no longer crack? :/

Quote:
I've read that before.  The 555/558/595/598 all had the same problem.  Even the 6xx series had issues.  I'll alter my judgement if over time the materials have actually compensated for the amount of stress placed on such a weakly designed area.

Quote:
Thats the 598, they never did fix the cracking for the 5x5 series.  As far as I know the 6xx series crack as well but isnt as rampant.

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #203 of 550

Quote:

That's the thing, the 558/598 still use the same chassis design FYI.  How many years has the 555/595/600/650 been in production?  4+ years w/o a fix?!  The new 558/598 comes out and people report cracking also.  There's one post by a rep a few months old saying they improved the material on the 598 and people are supposed to just accept there are no more problems?  Please.  That level of trust is earned, not given.  At least in my book.

I've had the 555/595/598 and still have the 558, they never cracked.  Why?  Because I knew it was a problem and put them on without grabbing the cups and stressing the joint.  I've worked with a lot of structural materials and designs subject to load, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the inherent design flaw.  Trying to enhance the material doesn't fix the design problem but it is a cheaper way to deal w/ it rather than actually redesigning the pieces and retooling for them.  In other words, that's a patch/band aid, not a fix.  

Regardless, this is the HD700 thread and all we have is a rendering, I'll give an update when I see it in person a few weeks from now.  Who knows, maybe Senns are tougher than my Thinkpad and Pelican case now.  Maybe they're made from old recycled Thinkpads!!  
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #204 of 550
Anyone have any insight as to availability? 

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #205 of 550
Dec 8, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #207 of 550
Anaxilius, I think you're missing the part that I've owned many of these headphones (check my profile). I've owned the HD598/595(twin's)/650. I know 3 people who have purchased the HD5x8 (edit: well, I actually know 4, but one of them purchased my HD598), and 2 others who purchased the HD555.
0/4 HD5x8s cracked.
3/3 HD5x5s cracked.
1/1 HD650s cracked.
This isn't even remotely a case of "that level of trust is earned, not given." 
Of course, there's the possibility my friends and I were very lucky. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #208 of 550
Check out the headbands from the seventies. Perfectly adjustable and strong headbands that were functional and pleasing to the eye i.m.o. For me the Monitor 10 still has the best headband plus ear cup adjuster mechanism you can find. It makes sense and is very accurately adjustable.

Sometimes I wonder what happened to durable and functional headphone design... 

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #209 of 550

Quote:
Check out the headbands from the seventies. Perfectly adjustable and strong headbands that were functional and pleasing to the eye i.m.o. For me the Monitor 10 still has the best headband plus ear cup adjuster mechanism you can find. It makes sense and is very accurately adjustable.

Sometimes I wonder what happened to durable and functional headphone design... 

It was just poor choice of headband material, plastic was too brittle and wasn't flexible enough

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #210 of 550
Yet you are expected to pay for such design flaws. If you are going budget with headphones get a PX200 II and ignore the plastic ... of these times. It is a marvellous product. 

Sennheiser knows what it is doing. If I still have to duct tape my headband because Sennheiser is too greedy to use more durable materials I know which manufacturer not to consider anymore. If it is sound first go ahead. Build quality matters too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back