New Sennheiser 558 and 598 thread.
Sep 28, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #31 of 53
I love the look of the 598s, but I'm not sure how I feel about that leather on the headband vs the soft velour on the 558. Although the mesh on the outside would be more resistant to dust/hair/etc. Tough to choose between the two if they really are as similar after the mod as heafonia says they are.

Definitely excited for these, though. Kinda scared to see what they'll cost here in the states, but I'm pretty sure I'll spring for one or the other. :x

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #32 of 53
I saw both on a website today, looks like the HD 558 will be £150 and the 598 will be £200.

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/headphones/sennheiser/audiophile-headphones/sennheiser-hd558-audiophile-headphones.html
http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/headphones/sennheiser/audiophile-headphones/sennheiser-hd598-audiophile-headphones.html

Don't know if this site is legit or not, but the HD 595 are about £150 in England currently, so then why is the HD 598 £50 more expensive when it is reported to only have minor improvements? I was going to get the HD 598 in hopes that it would be around £150 but I guess that's not going to happen anymore.

Sep 28, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #33 of 53
Yeah I think the consensus is they're definitely over-priced. It's a shame, they could have made quite a bit more money had they lowered the price to where it should be. That being said, I have personally not heard them yet, I am just judging by the limited reviews out there stating the improvements are very small.

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #34 of 53
Add to the fact that the new color scheme is definitely a love/hate. Personally I think its horrible. I do like the all black finish though.

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #35 of 53
Ordered a pair of 598 today. Already have Grado SR80 (old model) that starts to show wear. Wanted to try an new sound signature and these new Sennheisers looked so interesting I had to try them :)

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #36 of 53

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #37 of 53

Sorry for the bad light, but I'm sure you know what it is. Thought this would worth a share. It's really annoying and I find it totally unacceptable for such a price. I got this phone for Christmas and handled it with extra care. Seriously it's a redesigned and overpriced HD 5X5 and they could not fix the most obvious problem? Sennheiser, what happened to you? I really love the sound, but come on, cheap phones don't break in a month...

I really do not know what to do, I don't want to return a phone for a new one every month or so.

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #38 of 53

Quote:

Sorry for the bad light, but I'm sure you know what it is. Thought this would worth a share. It's really annoying and I find it totally unacceptable for such a price. I got this phone for Christmas and handled it with extra care. Seriously it's a redesigned and overpriced HD 5X5 and they could not fix the most obvious problem? Sennheiser, what happened to you? I really love the sound, but come on, cheap phones don't break in a month...

I really do not know what to do, I don't want to return a phone for a new one every month or so.

Oh crikey, that sucks. I'd send them back for a refund and shop for something that doesn't fall to bits so readily. They're not exactly cheap headphones after all, and it's prettly shocking that Sennheiser hasn't done much/anything to the old design before repainting, tweaking the drivers and charging you more.

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #39 of 53
HD558 here, still going strong after 3 months and I haven't really handled them carefully. The writing in that spot is almost gone, though.

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #41 of 53

Quote:

i got them for x-mas too, nothing yet.. but im going to be more careful now. does the warranty covers it?

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #42 of 53
That would certainly be covered by the warranty, but they might question what you were doing with them. I had similar cracks with a 595, but only after two years or so. Maybe Sennheiser's plastic is getting thinner.

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #43 of 53

Quote:
That would certainly be covered by the warranty, but they might question what you were doing with them. I had similar cracks with a 595, but only after two years or so. Maybe Sennheiser's plastic is getting thinner.

Hope they won't ask it cause I might just brust out laughing. What did I do? More like what did they do fix this problem when updating from HD 5X5? Like... nothing?

Anyhow, I won't return it in a few weeks so the issue have time to become "more evident", thus I don't have to argue at the shop. Also it's break at school so I have whole days to waste. What would I do without headphones? :)

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #44 of 53
I have the HD 448 and i was considering the HD 558 or HD 598 for improved sound quality. But seeing that crack, its a bit worrying.
confused_face.gif

Although the HD 448 shares similar design with the two, i did not had any issues with it, and while the plastic is light and thin without a great finish, its quite flexible and seems reinforced in the point the crack its in the photo above.

Can it be the 4 series more resistant than the 5 series, when the latter costs two to three times more ? I hope this is just a big misfortune, and won't be a regular issuse until i have the money for one of them.
normal_smile%20.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #45 of 53
Loving my HD598 for gaming. Nice crisp sound, without the typical Sennheiser-veil. They don't sound like Sennheisers, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back