New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jul 9, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #301 of 9,484
Quote:
If DSD is DED, um dead, it hasn't stopped squirming. There is a small but consistent flow of new releases, almost exclusively classical. Every so often there will be a bunch of pop discs from Japan, or a US release like the recent SACD of Yes' Close to the Edge.

Of course, what makes a DAC useful is DSD downloads, and many are holding their collective breath to see whether that trend takes off. It's yet another case of software providers bemoaning the lack of hardware while hardware makers point to the dearth of software. But a significant number of new DACS, both consumer and pro, are now DSD-capable; though the cheapest one I can think of offhand is around $1,600. Jason's idea of a standalone box, which I believe is what they're working on, seems a good one.

Quote:
Resonessence Concero HD for $800 and Matrix X-Sabre for $1100 are two DSD cable DACs that are lowering the cost of entry. With ESS releasing new variants of the 9018 chipset designed for smaller, more mobile applications, DSD capabilities will probably trickle down even more.

Don't forget TEAC's UD-501, $850, which has been reviewed positively with its slightly warmer, slightly darker signature (if I remember correctly).  And it comes with its own TRS headphone out (although I think that part's been reviewed less well, as it is probably not meant to compete with a dedicated headamp, including, at equal pricing, TEAC's own HA-501).

Simple Design has also had its Sonore DSD DAC out for some time now too, at $1300, a few hundred less than what 45longcolt mentioned as a price expectation.

So, the price of DACs with DSD capabilities is certainly "within reach" (for certain markets), though the selection under $1600 is not as plentiful as it is for non-DSD capable DACS at, say, the $300-$500 range.

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #302 of 9,484
The 50% on the left looks like power supply.
The block on the top right and bottom right appear to be discrete, balanced output analog output stages.
The block on the middle right looks like a DAC and associated digital processing for USB, SPDIF, etc inputs.

In other words, both the analog and digital blocks have ther own dedicated power supplies.

Yup, you're 100% right, and it sound awsome too.
For more detail, you can browse audio-gd website,

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #303 of 9,484
Quote:
The block on the top right and bottom right appear to be discrete, balanced output analog output stages.
The block on the middle right looks like a DAC and associated digital processing for USB, SPDIF, etc inputs.

In other words, both the analog and digital blocks have ther own dedicated power supplies.

That's Audio-gd piece.

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #304 of 9,484
Quote:

Very close, the DAC chips themselves are located in the middle of the top and bottom sections just to the left of the analog output stages, the four small chips there. The whole middle section is just the digital input board and dsp chip for the dac....they are monstrous for sure. the master 7 sounds amazing as well!

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #306 of 9,484

Very close, the DAC chips themselves are located in the middle of the top and bottom sections just to the left of the analog output stages, the four small chips there. The whole middle section is just the digital input board and dsp chip for the dac....they are monstrous for sure. the master 7 sounds amazing as well!

Thanks for clarifying. I like your observation.......................the whole thing is monstrous and is crazy complicated! LOL

Jul 11, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #307 of 9,484
Quote:

Thanks for clarifying.I like your observation.......................the whole thing is monstrous and is crazy complicated! LOL

It helps that I've gotten to pour over 2 of Kingwa's massive DAC creations in person for several hours...the reference 7 and more recently the master 7. with his gear you certainly don't have to wonder what you're paying for

Jul 11, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #310 of 9,484
I would like to see current output amplification option on the headphone out of the Ragnarok.

Yes, why?
Speakers expect to be driven by, or are designed to be driven by voltage, not current.

Jul 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #311 of 9,484
Quote:
Yes, why?
Speakers expect to be driven by, or are designed to be driven by voltage, not current.

Maybe that guy is influenced by the Satri circuit design of Bakoon HPA-21 amp which has a current driven headphone out and it seems it does sound better. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #313 of 9,484
Maybe that guy is influenced by the Satri circuit design of Bakoon HPA-21 amp which has a current driven headphone out and it seems it does sound better. 

That guy was intrigued, not influenced by the Satri circuit . :)
Been looking at articles about it for years. Makes a lot of sense, especially for single driver loudspeakers and headphones.
http://firstwatt.com/pdf/art_cs_amps.pdf

If the circlotron circuit that Schiit is famous for is remotely like the Nelson Pass trans conductance circuit used in the First Watt F1, it would entail only simply switching out the voltage feedback. For Schiit it would make for great marketing, and possibly TOTL headphone SQ, if there is merit to that approach.

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #315 of 9,484
Honestly, I'm struggling with this idea that the Ragnarok is a speaker amp first and a headphone amp second. I maybe wrong, but I think Schiit is trying to make a unit that serves multiple purposes, but the headphone amp section (criteria) will always be priority. If I were looking for a speaker amp, my first stop would not be Schiit Audio. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back